Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #181 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: California
Posts: 371

Tahoe 2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 20.75 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 82 Times in 76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
I guess these guys didn't get your memo:
just because you can put a 2" hitch on your prius does not make it legal to tow 12,000 pounds

2016 Prius has a maximum towing capacity of 1,598 pounds that is a empty car and just a driver



CVTs are the weakest link in towing... you can ask people who blew up there transmission backing up a load in a tahoe hybrid... (reverse gear is powered by the CVT)..


Last edited by Tahoe_Hybrid; 06-26-2019 at 04:41 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 06-26-2019, 07:28 PM   #182 (permalink)
Tyrant-at-large
 
Vman455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 1,647

Little Red - retired - '05 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 49.03 mpg (US)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 59.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 176
Thanked 1,438 Times in 757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe_Hybrid View Post
just because you can put a 2" hitch on your prius does not make it legal to tow 12,000 pounds

2016 Prius has a maximum towing capacity of 1,598 pounds that is a empty car and just a driver



CVTs are the weakest link in towing... you can ask people who blew up there transmission backing up a load in a tahoe hybrid... (reverse gear is powered by the CVT)..
Who said anything about towing 12,000 pounds? You keep moving the goalposts, and most cars (and trucks, and SUVs) can't tow 12,000 pounds.

That 1,600 pounds is the maximum recommended by Toyota; there's no law in any state that says an owner can't put more than that behind a Prius and have at it.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
PaleMelanesian (06-28-2019), Xist (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:37 PM   #183 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,316

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 347
Thanked 657 Times in 490 Posts




  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Natalya (07-01-2019), Xist (06-26-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #184 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 437

Dent-Mobile - '99 Buick Lesabre
90 day: 22.68 mpg (US)

Red Rocket - '92 Geo Metro Base
Thanks: 11
Thanked 91 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Who said anything about towing 12,000 pounds? You keep moving the goalposts, and most cars (and trucks, and SUVs) can't tow 12,000 pounds.

That 1,600 pounds is the maximum recommended by Toyota; there's no law in any state that says an owner can't put more than that behind a Prius and have at it.
Yes, he keeps acting as if I'm wanting to move my entire setup with only the Prius' motor, I know that won't work.

I'm simply looking for the Prius motor(s?) to add an extra 20 or so ft-lbs to make taking off from still, and maintaining speed up hills a little easier. I know that asking 20 ft lbs from those motors will barely strain them at all; I'm sure I could ask for 100 ft lbs from them and they would still be fine.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #185 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: California
Posts: 371

Tahoe 2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 20.75 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 82 Times in 76 Posts
Nissan did it


nissan engine with prius hybrid lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:15 PM   #186 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: California
Posts: 371

Tahoe 2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 20.75 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 82 Times in 76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Who said anything about towing 12,000 pounds? You keep moving the goalposts, and most cars (and trucks, and SUVs) can't tow 12,000 pounds.

That 1,600 pounds is the maximum recommended by Toyota; there's no law in any state that says an owner can't put more than that behind a Prius and have at it.
that is all they can get it rated for don't expect it to last very long towing often..

Last edited by Tahoe_Hybrid; 05-10-2020 at 05:21 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:52 PM   #187 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: CH
Posts: 12

Iveco - '00 Iveco Daily 35s13v
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VW XL1!

However i wonder if the Prius drivetrain would be an upgrade or a downgrade?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #188 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 8,202
Thanks: 0
Thanked 896 Times in 793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iveco View Post
VW XL1!

However i wonder if the Prius drivetrain would be an upgrade or a downgrade?
Most likely a downgrade. OTOH something similar to the HSD scaled-down enough to integrate with its stock engine (or with something else that could seem like an improvement) would be interesting to say the least.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:37 PM   #189 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: North carolina
Posts: 21

Goldie - '11 Toyota Prius
90 day: 48.93 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe_Hybrid View Post
that is all they can get it rated for don't expect it to last very long towing often..
I currently have accumulated over 100k miles on my Prius WHILE TOWING A SMALL CAMPER! My Prius has 155k miles total. It doesn't burn a drop of oil and still has the original transmission, brake pads hybrid battery etc. it has crossed the usa multiple times, been all over the rockies and up some pretty scary gravel roads......again...while towing a small camper. So far it has towed in 46 states and 10 Canadian provinces.
__________________
https://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=10690][ img] https://ecomodder.com/forum/fe-graphs/sig10690a.png[/img][/url]
  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yippeekyaa For This Useful Post:
freebeard (06-17-2020), RedDevil (06-29-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #190 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 8,202
Thanks: 0
Thanked 896 Times in 793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekyaa View Post
I currently have accumulated over 100k miles on my Prius WHILE TOWING A SMALL CAMPER! My Prius has 155k miles total. It doesn't burn a drop of oil and still has the original transmission, brake pads hybrid battery etc.
Makes me wonder how the previous generations would withstand to such use, since their power-split device had a chain while yours doesn't resort to it.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com