Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
If you're going to fiddle with taxes...

Don't cut services - it's not going to work.

So in Florida, Prop 1 passed on Jan 29. Prop 1 increases the homestead exemption among other things resulting in about $240 tax saving on homeowners with houses that meet the criteria.

The problem is, where's that money coming from? Because Florida is in a "budget crisis." The answer is... Services. Fire, police, TRASH, municipal and, the big one, EDUCATION.

Am I the only one that recognizes that there's little to trim from a public school that's already overcrowded and lacking enough new teachers? And really, you want to lean up on police and fire funding and therefore protection?

So that said, why shouldn't you cut services? Because, if you're like me, you're not going to cut education so you and your neighbor gets and awesome extra $20 a month. Instead, you're going to raise local taxes or cost of local fees. And that's exactly what may happen and is being discussed for the 08/09 fiscal year (which starts oct. 1). IIRC, the estimated funding losses for my county's school system is $141 million.

Ironic isn't it?

Florida lost half of it's GOP delegates and all of it's DNC delegates over this vote. And people aren't going to even get what was promised because their overcrowded schools refuse to take this one sitting down. They need teachers, and they need the money to pay for the ones they have now. I graduated from a class of nearly 1,000 students. Yes. 1 senior class. 1,000 students. Our school at the time was over 4,000 students - and it opened with a student capacity of... 1,800

So, I say this again... Before you vote. Read the fine print. Because if you're cutting services, it's not going to save you a dime. You have no idea how much it will suck when they decide to cut back trash pickup to once a week (South Florida gets pretty damn hot - and most of the population growth is there).

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Don't cut services - it's not going to work.

. I graduated from a class of nearly 1,000 students. Yes. 1 senior class. 1,000 students. Our school at the time was over 4,000 students - and it opened with a student capacity of... 1,800

So, I say this again... Before you vote. Read the fine print. Because if you're cutting services, it's not going to save you a dime. You have no idea how much it will suck when they decide to cut back trash pickup to once a week (South Florida gets pretty damn hot - and most of the population growth is there).

Holy cow I thought our school was bad.
My High School was designed the same way, for ~ 1500 students.
My graduating class was over 800.
They towed trailers(portable offices) in one summer and set them all over the grounds to increases the number of classrooms.
And that was 1978.
You should see it now!!!

Yes,
Always know what you are voting for.
There is always some politician trying to make a name for himself adding or changing the wording of propositional bills.
Read and understand as much as possible.
Vote Intelligently.
S.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 02-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Around here, these are called essential services and there are laws governing them so they can't really cut much.

Like anything in life you get what you pay for. You can't get services for free.

Just so you can maybe feel better I pay:

Pay 10% of my revenues to the government of Canada
Pay 20% of my revenues to the government of Quebec
Pay roughly 5% of my revenues to the city
Pay roughly 10% of my revenues in sales taxes

So at the end of the day, I gave roughly 45% of my revenues to some government.

On the other hand I got:

Free healthcare (btw the healthcare system is a bit more than 40% of the govt budget here!!)
4 years at the University for $7000
15 weeks paid at 70% of my salary each time I get a kid
55% employment insurance if I ever lose my job
A 25% of my revenues retirement pension at age 65
etc.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...

Last edited by tasdrouille; 02-15-2008 at 01:53 PM..
Old 02-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
I'd move to the Great White North if it weren't so North or White.
(see my post on reasons to live in the south)http://forum.ecomodder.com/showthread.php?t=988
I have lived in the far northern reaches of Europe. I know why I can't live in Canada.
Would that I could.
S.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 02-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post

Free healthcare (btw the healthcare system is a bit more than 40% of the govt budget here!!)
That's what gets me - it's not exactly "free." But you get what you pay for Funny thing is, my family probably pays more for our health coverage than yours. And our coverage is likely much less than what you get Hell, I freaking lose coverage if I take less than a full time load at my university. Somehow, being in school makes you less of a health risk despite all the extra exposure

Quote:
4 years at the University for $7000
Kahhn!!! My tuition is more than double that :/ And going up because the same Governor that pushed prop 1 cut $275 million from the Florida university system because of "budget crisis". Awesome, less people can afford to get a college education - so less people willing to ensure a college education is available for as many as possible.

Seriously, when did the stupid punch get served?

Quote:
15 weeks paid at 70% of my salary each time I get a kid
55% employment insurance if I ever lose my job
A 25% of my revenues retirement pension at age 65
etc.
okay, now I'm just getting depressed...