Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2021, 03:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 991 Posts
I found that the door frames ended up being flimsy and you could jack the door back up to fit for a year or two. We also greased the caliper slides

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-23-2021, 06:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Maybe I'll loosen the mounting hardware on the door and then jack it up slightly and tighten. It's only a bit off, so it closes fine, it just visibly moves up as the door engages. BTW, this method often works for household doors where it doesn't align with the slot. Use longer screws to secure the hinges as most installers use dinky 1" ones.

I don't recall brakes being so difficult, but it fought me every step today. The bracket slide pins were differing materials between the calipers, one appearing to be grade 8, and the other the normal silver steel color. The steel ones didn't seem to be aligned as precisely as the grade 8. Had issues fastening the slide bolt boots where they needed to be.

Couldn't remember if the wear indicators were supposed to be at the leading or trailing edge of the rotor, so I Googled that and didn't find definitive answers, so I assume it doesn't matter much. All pads have them, so no figuring inside or outside. Briefly questioned if the brake bleed was supposed to be up or down. Struggled fitting the pads into the brackets.

Finally, dad had misplaced 2 of the caliper bolts. Found them as I left. Almost done with what should have been a 60min job (2hrs in). Got grease under the fingernails, which is fine because tomorrow is oil change day and I'll be under at least 4 vehicles.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I don't mind. They put in endless time, energy & love bringing up us kids.
^^^^^ This. I didn't mind a minute of it either. Still don't; there are ongoing items relating to their lives and their passing that require my time and attention.

In fact a remarkable thing happened during all of that stuff. Compared to my sister I was always the 'black sheep', getting into trouble and wrecking cars and coming home after curfew all that kind of thing; meanwhile my sister graduated at the top of the class and was editor of the yearbook (HS *and* college) and married the perfect guy and all that kind of thing. As the years went by I didn't see anything that would have changed those roles. As my folks aged I just assumed she'd be their go-to person when they got to the point of needing someone to help with their personal and financial affairs. Instead, they reached out to me. I never cranked up enough nerve to ask why.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,071 Times in 1,401 Posts
Quote:
^ Old beer! That's funny. I found an ancient unopened Coors in a creek this spring and joked with the guys I was kayaking with that we should drink it! Perfectly chilled. (We chickened out.)

When my grandmother passed my cousin drank a budweiser that had been in the back of her fridge for as long as I can remember (at least a decade). He said it tasted like Bud.

My aunt is 77 and required 24 hour care. My parents are taking care of her (mostly my father) and it is definitely taking a toll on him. We had a family meeting over the 4th and my brother and I convinced him to bring in more professional care to give him a break. He was watching her 5 days a week with 2 days off. Now he has Thursday - Saturday off. He wants to do right by his sister but he is also burning what is likely the last remaining healthy years of his life just like my Aunt did caring for my uncle for 4 years.

When my Uncle passed my aunt wanted to move to an assisted living community but my parents talked her out of it. Then she quickly went downhill to the point that nobody will take her. I haven't asked my parents if that regret that decision. I just feel sad for all of them and wonder if my aunt would have done better in the assisted-living community surround by people instead of sitting in her house alone.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerospyder - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.98 mpg (US)

Simme - '83 IFA Simson Suhl S51
Motorcycle
90 day: 76.59 mpg (US)
Quote:
... From a five week absense owing to a health emergency. (My dad's, not mine.)

He's on the road to recovery now, but it was a really bumpy road. It was all hands on deck in the family looking after both my folks.

Pretty good genes on my dad's side...

My granddad lived to 96, ate sensibly, exercised regularly, drank in moderation, and was in fantastic health when his hip spontaneously broke one day. He was in the hospital for a short while... when a blood clot got him (stroke). Not an unheard-of thing after breaking a big bone.

My dad's 86, also a reasonably sensible eater / drinker, but not very active compared to Granddad. Maybe not coincidentally, his crisis was also bone-related: spontaneous compression fracture in his spine & paralyzing pain.

Note to self: stay active (I'm more like my granddad... that trait must have skipped a generation). Get enough calcium & vitamin D. Do more weight-bearing exercise.

Note #2 to self: Dad can't ride in the MPGiata anymore! Too low, too harsh on the old bones. Truth is, he hasn't been in it for a couple of years, and he can no longer get in/out of it anyway (on his own).
Sorry to hear that with your dad, I hope he's getting better soon.
I'm glad to be basicly immune to issues like that.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,610 Times in 7,091 Posts
Short of checking out early, what's your plan?

Old 10-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #27 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Short of checking out early, what's your plan?
How the heck do you plan for an infinate series of opportunities and unknown known trials?
Old 10-25-2021, 11:54 AM   #28 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,071 Times in 1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
How the heck do you plan for an infinate series of opportunities and unknown known trials?
Saving a lot of money helps.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,965 Times in 3,606 Posts
Plan... have lots of kids, and hope some of them will look after you in your dotage?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Robots should be much more helpful when I need major help.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Reply  Post New Thread