Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
Jamiec, is this the car? Suzuki Carry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I then guess your cars are from 1976 or a bit later. I have seen similar trucks/vans here in Sweden but only with four-stroke engines. I guess two-strokes got definitely banned here in 1976 when we got stricter exhaust regulations but that very few two-strokers sold here after late 1960´s when Saab introduced their V4 four-stroke in 1967. Perhaps a handful of east-german Trabant and Wartburg found their way here.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
About 15-20 years ago I saw a TV-documentary about an australian company named Orbital Engine that was said to be close to mass production of a 3-cyl two-stroker with better fuel economy and lower exhaust emissions than a four-stroke of same date! These engines had a delayed direct injection of fuel similar to that in the above described marine V6. It also had lubrication in a closed circuit like in a 4-stroke. Cylinder scavenge was done by a separate pump/compressor instead of crankcase/pistons.

From what I know this is not very different from many two-stroke diesels except that they often have exhaust valves and a camshaft. Once adding a camshaft and some valves to a two-stroker I see no reason not to make it a four-stroker instead. Well... Perhaps the 2-T design can deliver more even and higher torque and power at lower speed compared to a 4-stroke of the same displacement. (firing twice as often)
Old 09-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi JohnAh some of my family heritage goess back to Sweden
Anyway yes you are on the right track with the type of car and one is the ST10 built 1976 the other is the ST20 built 1977
The ST10

The ST20

Yes it is a modern two stroke for its time with the seperate oil injection and reed valves on the intake.
This motor puts out from 28hp-33hp depending on model it is known to be in a very low state of tune from the factory it is said our old two stroke lawn mowers have a better tune
The last of these motors had the oil injection to the cylinders deleted and are now known as low smoke motors and that is the type i got as a spare.

Cheers Jamie
Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If that's your Carry, that's freaking beautiful for a near-forty year old rustbucket. If only modern Carry vans had half-as-much character...
Old 09-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yep they are both mine I just bought the white one and have to travelle 2000klm one way to pick it up its at my mums house.
This is how i will get it i bought this red truck for the job and it comes in handy for other jobs to.
The test with the silver van.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'd work on ecomodding the red truck, if it's a gasser. That's a Mazda, right? Powerful motor, those, but kinda thirsty.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes i have some idea's for the truck to improve the economy.
It is a Ford econovan maxi tho its just a rebadged Mazda E2000 it has the Mazda 2l FE petrol engine.

JohnAh i believe that the orbital engine was bought out by a big Auto maker and is still being worked on.

I also came across a modern retro fit for a fuel injection system for two stroke motors but is a throttle body type so not likely to be much better then a carby system. If you could fit a direct injection system like the one you mentioned on the marine v6 to our old 2t motors that would be great.

Must also remember that 4 stroke engines still consume a small amout of oil tho it is minimal then there is dealing with the used oil and oil filters that are left over from 4 stroke motors

Cheers Jamie
Old 10-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I was at a swap meet and found a Suzuki factory book for dealers that has update info added to it as things were changed on the carry's etc over time.There is info about a change to the amount of oil that was injected into the engine as being reduced so this gives me more ability to reduce oil consumption and still with in factory specs.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
2-stroke engines are still cool. I like those Evinrude E-TEC marine ones, with air-assisted direct injection developed by Orbital Engines.

Reply  Post New Thread