Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The start/stop systems I have read about use the alternator as the starter; or a belt driven starter. No solenoid and no pinion gear and no ring gear.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
99CleanEM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Powered by Google Docs

Basically they figure stop/start systems will go through 3x the number of start cycles than regular engines, and a start cycle is a cycle the crank and bearings experience lack of pressurized lubrication.

Of course if new bearing tech doesn't fix it, an oil pressurizing system could be added.

Those of you who extensively P&G might want to consider that 3x wear thing being a possibility for you...
Funny thing I mentioned this in a prior thread and you completly disagreed with me on this. There a re several solutions stated below that are in play or can be put in play... stated previously oil pressure needs to be up they same way we push start our sprint cars at the track and wait to flip the ignition on until PSI is high enough. We use to tear down those motors after every few runs and the most damage would be from lack of oil pressure protecting the bearing surface... Lots of composite bearing materials to play with that really play with the longevity

Almost every oil manufaturer has pull the entire Zinc content out of their oil which seems to have some pretty good benifits. Brad Penn oils still have a hefty amount in them so I run it in my motors. I am sure if someone did the testing it would probably increase MPG on a daily driven car. I know for a fact that it frees up HP on the dyno indicating a reduction in friction..... Seems way better then the claim to fame that Royal Purple has and half the price.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
You went way beyond bearings.... but yeah, I figured the extra stop/starts would disappear into the "noise"... I hadn't seen it quantified before, but for the purposes of the bearing mfg R&D they are calling it 3x.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
in tents

The Adventure Wagon - '94 Subaru Loyale Wagon 4x4
Subaru
90 day: 33.43 mpg (US)

Electro-Monkey - '11 Surly Karate Monkey BMC V2S Front Hub Motor
90 day: 694.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The start/stop systems I have read about use the alternator as the starter; or a belt driven starter. No solenoid and no pinion gear and no ring gear.
But belt-driven starters cause a crank bearing reaction too. The belt tension is converted to two reactions: torque (tension * crank pulley radius), and a bearing reaction, equal and opposite to the belt tension.

Coaxial electric motors, like on the Insight and the Prius, only exert torque on the crankshaft, not radial bearing load.