Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
OH wow, new years noise maker is a great idea!
What is that made out of, spring steel?
I had folding plywood on the mind.
Yes, the spring is a length of thin piano wire, carefully enclosed in a a fold of the paper.

Upon reflection, I think that while an inflatable shape does offer the possibility of being retracted for parking, we usually have enough space for a 20' long car anyway, so for most people, folding will be more bother than it is worth. The inflatable raft has morphed into the RIB, which is not usually deflated even when on the highway.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #52 (permalink)
coasting....

Why not just make it unlatch at the bottoms of both the nose and tail, and flip them up onto the hood and deck lid? No deflating required.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:49 PM   #53 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
for me the retractable nature is more to be removable, low modification to existing vehicle, and cool factor.

For those that don't know me I love things that have a "wow", "gee Whiz" or "man that's cool" factor.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 05-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #54 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
Why not just make it unlatch at the bottoms of both the nose and tail, and flip them up onto the hood and deck lid? No deflating required.
That would work. I hope the parking ticket people don't mind. Front extensions tend to be short and low, so rigid is probably OK there, usually. On the inflatable-back one, maybe a solid belly pan would hinge up for parking only. If there is a blower used for inflation, it can be used for suction to collapse things neatly too. Otherwise, a few internal shock cords, etc may suffice. My buddy reminds me that folding is more important on large vehicles.

BTW, the original Mini could have been a hatchback, but Alec opted for a tailgate which could be piled with lashed-on gear, while the license plate automatically swung down underneath.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #55 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
And a final thought, wouldn't it be great if it could be collapsed entirely just by sucking the air out? How about using the tension from the top to hold the boat tail from hitting the ground, then having tent poles (or plywood)hinged in 2 (folding so the "V" is inverted) collapse in such a manner that the entire assembly sits between the bumper and the back window?
I see it like this: The inflatable boattail would be made up of 3-5 "layers", extending horizontally from the back. You start by inflating the largest one, closest to the car. The rest of the layers are deflated and snuggled inside the first one. When you speed up you inflate the next one, slightly smaller, and so on, until at cruising speed the very tip is inflated. This lets you have drag reduction before total inflation. The hinged inverted "V" (lambda) would stick up and out while folding.

Another idea is that the boattail is in segments, like descibed above, only they're not inflatable, but stiff and they retract one into the other like a telescope. The first segment is a kammback, the others fit inside of it. This reminds me of a collapsible cup:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cup.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	1992

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
Superfuelgero (07-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModder

Aero Boat Tail structure

We have taken the boat tail design and integrated it with a durable cargo carrying structure. It is dual function: to carry soft gear increasing cargo capacity and improving rear air flow with the boat tail taper. Our initial tests on a station wagon improved mpg by ~10%, while carrying soft gear. It is patent pending, AeroPACKusa .

It attaches to a lift gate or hatch back. Conceptually one could carry soft gear or use lightweight inflatable spheres (beach balls) inside the structure to achieve the mpg improvement.

Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikel09 For This Useful Post:
SlideWRX (12-20-2009)
Old 02-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
noisemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
I have considerable experience with inflatable displays, and they always are assumed to leak and require a continuous air supply. Some idea of the possibilities can be found in the hot-air balloon contests. Given a chance, an inflated structure will look as much like a bubble as possible. Cones are easy to produce, but cubes are hard. For a flat panel such as a fastback rear window, some extra structure is needed. Ribs can be added by using separate small-diameter tubes inflated to fairly high pressure. The nicest realization of this is made with two tailored layers separated by deep ribs, much as a really high-quality down sleeping bag is made.

I would favour a lower structure that would curl up like a New-Year's noisemaker to stow the whole inflatable tail in a neat roll at the bumper. It might be necessary to mount the taillights and licence plate on tubes that telescope from the belly pan or roof, and follow the tail in and out.
The German design is much like what you describe.It is shown in Hucho's text on the back of a passenger bus.I don't know if Klemperer or Fachsenfeld,or Jaray came up with it but it's the best form I've seen yet.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #58 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Crossposting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by todayican View Post
I wanted to do a boat tail, but it would have to be like 80" to come to a full point, I had the idea to make it collapsible! something like one of those old fashioned "travel cups" that telescope out from the base.

Like this: Prius Tv with Tom Bell

The tag and "alternate directionals / reverse light / brake lights will go in the tip section which will be clear, the "stock color" will be faux carbon fiber.

It will add about 15" to the car in total length retracted, so it will be easy to get around town and park etc, and once on the highway, flip a switch and a combination of air venting in from a movable vent and a telescopic mast (like an old power antennae) will deploy it to its full length.

Flip the switch the other way and it gets "reeled in" shouldn't take more then 15 seconds either direction.

I am seriously shooting for a kit that can take the Prius C to 100mpg at 65mph, with no mechanical mods, re-chipping or lowering.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModdingRealist

The Blue Lagoon - '92 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Heck, all you really need is an inflatable "bed" mattress and a big jar of contact-adhesive.
Get one of the inflatable beds with a built-in pump (that inflates and deflates) and cut up the mattress to make your boattail. There's plenty of material there to work with, and its rubber, so it'll glue up with contact cement wonderfully. And for tips on how to properly glue up rubber with contact cement, just watch the Mythbusters episode where they escape from Alcatraz on their homemade inflatable raft.
That sounds like a good idea. If we could make it removable i'd praly give it a shot!

[ACHV ALL]
Old 07-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
some T-100 inflatable boat tail images

Here are some recent scans:

BamZipPow (07-19-2014), MetroMPG (07-28-2014), UltArc (07-19-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread