Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

'El Misil' - '91 Opel Calibra 2.0i
Last 3: 29.02 mpg (US)

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
[QUOTE=newtonsfirstlaw;3204]

Another trick I learned from airplanes which the designers of the aptera seem to have learned is that you put the trailing edges of airfoils next to the leading edges of other aifoils. See this plane.

Nice site, but I don't see anything about paired airfoils except a line about the ailerons being a few thou thicker than a pure contour would have them. I don't recall tandem shapes on the Aptera, either. Two optimum shapes would not have a beneficial interaction, but using them might reduce surface area and skin friction.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So---Is the effect of paired airfoils similar to the effect of a car pulling a trailer?
Ray Mac
Old 09-15-2008, 05:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
Ah the calibra!

i'd love to have one but it's near impossible to find a decent low milage one, without some hidious "aerodynamic" upgrades (what makes a person think one of the most aerodynamic cars in the world would benefin from a widebody kit....)

but than i'm pretty close with the vectra wich was also designed by Wayne Cherry... the calibra was based on the same platform and shares the dashboard so i get a little bit of that calibra esperience, dispite of the slower pase

looks bulky next to the calibra, but it's actually still quite low compared to newer cars...
when you considder it replaced this:

you can see what a revolution it must have been at the time, and with a 0.29Cd was great in 1988 but it's still quite good today

@TELVM
do any of your cars have an undertray? i have yet to find any picture of the calibras undertray and i heared not all calibras had those. since the similaritys between the calibra and the vectra i wonder if a calibra undertray could (be made to) fit my car... i do have a custom undertray already but it would still be nice to see what opel originally came up with

for people with a strong stomach here's what some people do to a calibra

eum, right...

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*
Old 09-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarhighway View Post
... (what makes a person think one of the most aerodynamic cars in the world would benefin from a widebody kit....)
Either blatant ignorance or that curious philosophy "I don't mind it's slower if it looks faster/cooler" (as in the 'huge wheels syndrome').

Quote:
... but than i'm pretty close with the vectra wich was also designed by Wayne Cherry... the calibra was based on the same platform and shares the dashboard so i get a little bit of that calibra esperience ... ... you can see what a revolution it must have been at the time, and with a 0.29Cd was great in 1988 but it's still quite good today.
Quite true, Calibras and Vectras-A shared platform, engines, and most of the streamlining. Some mating experiments have proved DNA compatibility :

In fact the Vectras were slightly favoured in the engine department, as the '88-91 Vectra-GT/Cavalier SRi got the 20SEH version of the SOHC 8V engine with 130HP, while all SOHC Calibras had to make with the 115HP C20NE. The camshaft, pistons and ECU now inside my 8V Calibra came from a Vectra-GT donor.

Quote:
... do any of your cars have an undertray? i have yet to find any picture of the calibras undertray and i heared not all calibras had those. since the similaritys between the calibra and the vectra i wonder if a calibra undertray could (be made to) fit my car... i do have a custom undertray already but it would still be nice to see what opel originally came up with ...
My cars came without OEM undertray. I've only seen it under 16V C20XE Calibras, and only rarely, as people tend to discard that piece to get easier access to the engine from below, or because it brokes with age.

I'm not sure if it's a plug&play affair in the Vectra-A, but with some DIY fiddling it should fit. The reference is GM 90 487 258 or EPC 2 12 626, if I remember correctly it costs about ~350€ here in Spain.

This is the detachable central piece for access to the oil pan:

Old 09-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TELVM thanx for the pictures the undertray. it's interesting to see the undertray doesn't cover the sides before the wheels, like my custom job, but it does extend below the engine... mine stops just before that, but i might extend it at some point.
350€ is a bit to much for something that's likely not to fit well...

mine cost under 20€ all brackets and screws included.
might look, or rather work good on a calibra too, as you can't really see it...

that's awsome... i've been wondering if that was possible... i'd try my hand at something like that, but chances of getting that sort of conversion roadlegal over here are slim... to bad becouse its probably one of the easyest conversions possible... on a hatchback vectra it would certainly confuse people

Old 09-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarhighway View Post
TELVM thanx for the pictures the undertray.
You're welcome .

Quote:
350€ is a bit to much for something that's likely not to fit well... mine cost under 20€ all brackets and screws included.
I agree, no need to feed Opel spare parts vultures, for a few euros the DIY enthusiast can make a very decent undertray. Yours is a good example.

Which engine is under your bonnet, Lunar?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

my vectra is powered by a 1.6i X16SZ has about 72-75 HP... not really a spectacular engine on paper , and when i got the car i was a little worried it would be a slug, as some people call it underpowered, but i think they're used to more powerfull engines and are a little lazy with the gearchange.

it's a great engine for economy that will keep up with normal traffic, acceleration from 0 to 50 km/h is very fast, but after that is becomes a little slower because of the tall gears... on the highway however it's a very lively car, and you feel it wants to go fast, but without wanting to go too fast. some say the 1.8i was a better engine for the vectra, but if you don't expect a racecar the 1.6i is a very nice engine...

Old 09-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The X16SZ is good package for low fuel consumption in a Vectra. Specific power is not high due to the 'short' 254º camshaft, but that means lower torque peak (2800rpm), which allies well with the Vectras wider ratio gearing. The compression ratio is a relatively high 10.0:1, which helps efficiency.

The main virtue of late '80s/early 90s Opel SOHC engines is they are almost bombproof and easy & cheap to maintain.

BTW, did your Vectra came with onboard computer?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
BTW, did your Vectra came with onboard computer?
nope unfortunately not... i've been looking in retrofitting one wich i think isn't all that hard as i believe the wireing is there, but i need to find a computer for the engine or find out if it can be reprogrammed... do you have one, and is it usefull?

Reply  Post New Thread