Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfromdenver View Post
If it won't start, call any local Honda dealer and speak with "someone who is very familiar with early (1st gen) Insights." You might ask for the service manager at one dealer, and if you don't get through, ask another dealer, and do the same with as many other dealers until you speak with someone who actually knows what they are talking about. THE LAST THING YOU NEED TO OWN IS AN INSIGHT THAT WILL NOT DRIVE. How much money are you paying for the car?
Highly unlikely you will find someone that qualifies for that statement. Probably take 20+ calls.

Wholeheartedly agree with the second bit there.

Quote:
My profession for the last 32 years has been somebody who people pay to buy used cars and new cars. And given the low $1000 price tag, most very cheap cars end up being far more expensive than the frugal buyer could have ever expected. it's better to spend more money for a better vehicle that's going to require less work after the purchase then to go after a really cheap car that could turn into a money pit
That is doubly true for a hybrid.

The only people that should own an insight are those passionate about them and are not necessarily in need of cheap, reliable transportation.

The Following User Says Thank You to S Keith For This Useful Post:
samwichse (09-28-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
The only people that should own an insight are those passionate about them and are not necessarily in need of cheap, reliable transportation.
I half disagree with that....many Insights are being sold cheap because few people want them...and the thought of a $2000 IMA battery scares people. Insights with IMA battery issues are selling for less than a comparable non-hybrid car would even though they can obviously be driven without the IMA and still get phenomenal fuel economy, as evidence by people both on this site and in IC.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 09-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You only half disagree because you're actually passionate about them.

Folks that live where emissions are required can't do what you describe, and "phenomenal" comes with qualifiers. They get garbage mileage in the city with bypassed/inop battery, and are grossly under powered. They are phenomenal freeway cruisers though... when you eventually get them up to speed.

"cheap and reliable" - there are plenty of other non-battery issues that can rapidly destroy any gas savings particularly if you can't do your own work.

So we come back to having to be passionate about them... you don't care about the economics, and are willing to deal with the issues ANY 12-18 year old car may throw at you.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
You only half disagree because you're actually passionate about them.
Valid.

Quote:
Folks that live where emissions are required can't do what you describe, and "phenomenal" comes with qualifiers. They get garbage mileage in the city with bypassed/inop battery, and are grossly under powered. They are phenomenal freeway cruisers though... when you eventually get them up to speed.
Garbage mileage in the city compared to an Insight with a functional IMA but still significantly better than most cars out there...and more than any other car for the price, save walking or a bicycle.

...I guess I am passionate...

Quote:
"cheap and reliable" - there are plenty of other non-battery issues that can rapidly destroy any gas savings particularly if you can't do your own work.

So we come back to having to be passionate about them... you don't care about the economics, and are willing to deal with the issues ANY 12-18 year old car may throw at you.
Any 12-18 year old car will have its share of issues.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 09-28-2018, 02:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
They are phenomenal freeway cruisers though... when you eventually get them up to speed.
They actually accelerate pretty well, as long as you know to stay in 3rd until you reach cruising speed.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
You should be able to fire it up and drive it away if you bring a new 12V battery with you, install it, then pull up the carpet in the back, pull off the big battery switch cover and flip the IMA switch off.

I drove Ron Burgundy for months with the big battery turned off, it was pretty slow without IMA assist but functioned fine (other than the AC won't work with it turned off)

If you try that and it doesn't work then the car isn't worth messing with no matter how cheap it is

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cowmeat For This Useful Post:
dougfromdenver (09-28-2018), Ecky (09-28-2018), Piotrsko (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wow! Thanks for all the support. I'm pretty handy just inexperienced with hybrids. I'll go try to jump it and see if it runs and drives and follow all the advice accordingly.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaminsknator View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the support. I'm pretty handy just inexperienced with hybrids. I'll go try to jump it and see if it runs and drives and follow all the advice accordingly.
Bring a Torx T30 bit screwdriver and follow these directions:

Honda Insight (2000-2006) - Battery Bypass Instructions
Old 09-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I agree. Being able to achieve 62 miles per gallon when I'm primarily driving on the highway is awesome.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have to Honda Insight hybrids.

The first is a 2001 with has right around 61,000 original I'm keeping this one.

The other Honda inside is it 2005, which I ran over curb in a parking lot.

Before understanding the damage to the frame of my 2005, I drove it for about 4 months without realizing the extent of damage to the frame. That's when I more fully investigated the condition of the frame and the damage. I learned that there would be extensive cost if I repair aluminum frame. There is another repair alternative that was recommended to me by a dedicated Honda Insight forum. But now that I own my 2001, with only 61000 miles, and a Honda battery that's only five or six years old.

By the way, I was able to obtain a replacement battery for my Honda Insight for closer to $1,500.

Whoever buys my damaged frame Honda will be given the option of buying with a brand new battery installed, or as is. However, anyone who buys that vehicle intent on just driving it will be driving a vehicle that could pose some degree of danger if in a front-end collision.

I also would highly recommend that anyone buying a used Insight know as much as possible before jumping into a deal on a high mileage that -- as a 2000 model -- is almost 29 years old. Add to this the reality that does not drive, and cannot be road tested, makes even a $1,000 price look VERY unreasonable to me.

There have been transmission issues with the manual transmission that must be evaluated before buying any manual Insight.

Reply  Post New Thread