Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Fuel-saving fuels

I heard a commercial on the radio today where Shell claims it has fuel-saving gasoline and fuel-saving diesel. So this raised two questions:
  1. Can a fuel help reduce consumption? And I don't mean changing the octane number to fiddle with compression and timing, just filling up with the new fuel and driving off, happy that I'm consuming less. And if it is just better quality, then does this mean that Shell has been giving us lower-grade fuel, yet advertising it as "Highest quality, premium, etc."?
  2. How much can it actually increase FE without help from anything else (changing driving style). Is Shell just counting on the placebo effect?
  3. Is a 1-3% decrease in fuel consumption worth the 5-10% higher price? (I'm just guessing, I don't know the exact numbers.)

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
it could just be the grade of the fuel. I know with my car which i drive the same no matter Wat that my FE would drop 3-4mpg when i would fill up with Sunoco, but wen i went with the local ran gas station which has better grade fuel and pumps the fuel for you versus the self pump station were it costs the same at both, self pay is normally higher as well. It only makes sense just to go to the pump for you station according to same to sometimes lower price but proven mpg gains onto of it all

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 05-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
shell advertise up to 1 litre saving on a "tank" of fuel using their superduper "fuelsave" stuff.

I think its all they offere now, apart from "98ron/vpower" type stuff.

I dont like how they dont quantify it- even if they said, use 500ml less for a 50 L tank or somesuch. all a bit snake oil to me

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------
Old 05-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fiesta - '12 Ford Fiesta SE
90 day: 31.45 mpg (US)
Shell is a top tier gasoline, so their fuel is high quality in relation to how it keeps an engine clean. Maybe they keep going and say since the engine is cleaner it will run better/be more efficient because you use their fuel.

Whether a 1-3% decrease in fuel consumption outweighs a higher price depends on how efficient the car is and the price of gas.

Say you get 20mpg and low octane fuel costs $4.00
2% less fuel used would be 20.4 mpg
5% rise in fuel cost would be $4.20.

Originally it would cost you 20 cents per mile.
The "fuel saving gas" would get you 20.58 cents per mile.

Say you get 10mpg,
2% better would be 10.2 mpg
5% would again be $4.20
So originally it'd cost 40 cents per mile
"better" gas would cost 41.18 cents.
etc...
Old 05-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
in a related apples to oranges story...
at work we got in a new company for maintenance services, apparently BG was wanting more for their product and no money was being made on the parts side, and the new rep. gave all the techs a bottle of in-the-tank fuel system cleaner. i'm always thinking snake oil when something like this happens. so when we were slow, me and another tech pulled in our vehicles, and ran injector balance tests with gm's active fuel injector tester. on my saturn, all the injectors were within 1% of the avg flow rate, 9 out of 10 times i fill up its with BP fuel because i have a BP card. the other tech had an '02 s-10 w/ a 4.3L, his injectors came out with -6.5% +1% -3.2% -3.3% +5.6% and +5.5%, he fills up where ever fuel is cheapest.
my results, nada... thinkin snake oil still. the other tech though, he swears he's got more power and is getting better mileage. (unfortunately we haven't re ran the balance test yet)
so maybe he goes for placebos... or maybe my good gas keeps me in better mileage all the time.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Maybe the more expensive fuel leaves less money in your pocket making you lighter, thus the increased FE from weight reduction?

If you pay with a card, then you have less on your account, so you buy less when shopping, reducing cargo weight, etc.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Notice they said UP TO one liter savings per tank. Probably a well maintained car that's been running good quality gas through it wouldn't see any benefit. Just my $.02 for what it's worth. Over the years I've ran all brands and the only one I've noticed that I didn't get as good mileage from was Citgo. I always run the cheapest stuff I can find as long as it's not Citgo.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Elise - '13 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Shell just puts extra cleaning additives in their fuel, that's the only real difference. So I'm guessing their claims are from keeping the fuel injectors cleaner or whatnot. I always just fill up wherever is cheapest (around here it's usually Speedway) and pour a bottle of Seafoam in the tank every 5000 miles as recommended, and it achieves basically the same effect.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soichiro View Post
Shell just puts extra cleaning additives in their fuel, that's the only real difference.
So if Shell has an extra 1% of additives in their gas, then 1 liter of Shell gasoline is actually 990ml gasoline and 10ml additives? So not only am I getting less gas, but I'm paying more for it?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
It's a mixed bunch, but this can go out of the Unicorn Corral, as it can work.

VAB - Studies - Studies

Total Excellium Diesel was shown to reduce FC by 3% (-3.27 %) over Shell V-power (the 0% change shows it as the reference fuel) which in turn is 1% better than the regular Shell diesel.

(Though 1% is also the fault on the test procedure.)

In Germany, Aral Ultimate Diesel is more energy efficient because it doesn't contain biodiesel, thus has more energy stored in it.

The downside is they all charge so much for the improved fuel, it's not worth the extra expense as you won't nearly get it back in improved FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
[*]Can a fuel help reduce consumption?
Yes, they can

Quote:
And if it is just better quality, then does this mean that Shell has been giving us lower-grade fuel, yet advertising it as "Highest quality, premium, etc."?
Fuels are regulated.
What they sold complied with the requirements.

Quote:
[*]How much can it actually increase FE without help from anything else (changing driving style). Is Shell just counting on the placebo effect?
Apparently for the test above :
shell : 1% improvement
Total : 3% improvement

Quote:
[*]Is a 1-3% decrease in fuel consumption worth the 5-10% higher price? (I'm just guessing, I don't know the exact numbers.)
You're close enough !

So no, the increased fuel economy does not cancel out the increased price.

It might be an idea for someone who wants to set a FE record, as you could get an extra 3 or 4 % depending on what fuel you use regularly.

Last edited by euromodder; 05-18-2012 at 01:08 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread