Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

iPod as hypermiling tool?

Has anyone thought about using an iPod as a hypermiling tool? Some of us already own one and a used one (particularly a small one) is pretty cheap for those who don't. Then add a PIC to translate between the OBD signals and the serial bus signals of the iPod and write a program to enable the iPod to use the interface. There'll also be some nice audio I/O hardware for voice guided hypermiling and several gigabytes of nonvolatile memory for storing logs. And with the proper programming, it can play music at the same time. I remember reading that an iPod has the processing power of an early Pentium PC (more if video capable) so there should be no problem as far as CPU is concerned.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
There are some tools out there already: Saving Gas with the iPhone Gets a Bit More Sophisticated | Hypermiling, Fuel Economy, and EcoModding News - EcoModder.com
Old 11-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
I don't think that's an interface setup there, just graphs based on known static numbers, + incline changes as recorded, perhaps in real time?

Still, it should certainly be possible, but nobody sees the market for it, probably.

Autotap for example, great hardware, but only lack-luster Windows software. No Mac software, no Linux, no nothing but Windows.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Look like time to make one with all hardware plans and source code under GPL...

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

sukisuki - '00 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4wd
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
This guy is developing an application that will run on Iphone, Blackberry, ...
I hoped he could endorse also generic Java Cellphone (like mine) but no plans (for now).
JDash Mobile - JDash

Reply  Post New Thread