Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Issues with 01 Insight MT

Just bought my very first honda insight very first HYBRID ever.. I ll give you some detail of whats wrong.. My 12v battery looks brand new its from Advance autoparts but its drained to just about 0V so I charged it with my civic and got it up to 11.5v and put it back in the insight and nothing.. Battery is currently being charged at Advance Autoparts over night with trickle charger.. Should be good tomorrow and was topped off with water.. I scanned for codes and got a p1445 for now.. Also when I got to start it III it cranks over with the electric aux starter not the electric motor like its supposed to start... Quietly. What should I do to get this mint rain drop to start.. I do want to keep the IMA and would like to see 90mpg if it is possible.. Only has 108,000 original clean title and its a 01. LMK I'am very techincal with D series engines and have built a few for turbo applications also great at trouble shooting gas engines.. But dont know much about what could cause this Insight to start properly. N why the 12v is drained.. Also how do I check the life of the IMA..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Also I know the Prius technology is opposite of the IMA is it that the IMA gas engine runs at lower rpms and the IMA at highways speeds or is it opposite.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
P1445 sounds like you've got a bad hybrid battery. I'm sure there are others that can speak to it more than I can, but you're probably on a long road of grid-charging the hybrid pack and/or replacement.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post
P1445 sounds like you've got a bad hybrid battery. I'm sure there are others that can speak to it more than I can, but you're probably on a long road of grid-charging the hybrid pack and/or replacement.
Your hybrid battery is trashed, I would recommend for now that you shut it off completely so your battery isn't potentially trashed further.

I also would recommend reading Metro's insight thread where he restored his bad battery.

If that sounds like it isn't for you let me know, I might want it LoL
Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Check you VIN with a Honda dealer to see if you might be one of the luckiest people on earth. The battery warranty is 10 years or 150 k miles. While many would think that a 2001 would be past the time limit, it may be that your car's in service date was after the current date. Not likely but possible.

regards
Mech
Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Your hybrid battery is trashed, I would recommend for now that you shut it off completely so your battery isn't potentially trashed further.

I also would recommend reading Metro's insight thread where he restored his bad battery.

If that sounds like it isn't for you let me know, I might want it LoL
LOL. I will call honda tomorrow to ask about the battery replacement I would love to get it up and running so I can enjoy it with my special lady.. I am driving a hooptie of a crx right now.. Is there anyway if I can get the battery replaced I could get some one to explain or help me fix the battery.. I rather not buy the extra stuff tools what someone of you guys might how to fix it.. Im in waterloo iowa really close to all the midwest areas.. I have a lift in my garage and all the tools you would need besides the chargers and IMA stuff..
Old 05-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think I figured out why it wouldnt start. I took out the spark plugs and cleaned them with a wire wheel then I pulled out my compression gauge and check all 3 and they were around 60-65psi why would my compression be so low.. I am guessing it should be around 200-220psi. My car only has 108,000 miles why would this happen so early or is this common..
Old 05-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Is it that the rings are burnt or the valves are burnt.. I also got to drive it after pulling it down the highway at 65mph to get it charged up a bit in load gear.. It drove for a bit but mostly off the IMA> Engine is weak.. And doesnt have enough power to get over a hill.. Why would it be low on compression evenly..
Old 05-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Before getting into anything major, I'd suggest thinking about trying a few simple things.

1) Just because your 12-volt battery looks new doesn't mean that it is. If it was at zero volts for a while, it might be trash. The car won't start or run without a halfway good 12-volt battery.

2) If it cranks with the starter, that means the system thinks the IMA pack doesn't have charge. That doesn't mean that it's dead, just that it's discharged.

3) For the P1445 code, that should clear if you disconnected the 12-volt battery. (Or pull the #18 fuse from the box by the driver's left knee and wait 10 seconds.)

4) If you get the engine running, it should show the IMA battery charging (green bars on the gauge), and battery charge should eventually climb to full.

5) It won't use the IMA much at all when the charge level is low (say below half), and without IMA the engine IS pretty weak (or can seem so to someone not used to an Insight). There may not be anything wrong with the engine at all, just your perception. If there is, it's an engine just like any other, and you'd diagnose problems just as you would for any IC engine.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok my fellow ECO members I dove in with both hands today yesterday I finished up finding out that my cam gear pin sheard off. Today I took the vtec assembly off 4 banjo bolts and then took the cam caps off.. Found out that 3rd cam cap is bad really bad how I dont know must of been from the previous owner not doing a oil change in a longer time it was supposed to of been done at 102k miles but it now has 108K miles and it wasnt done and the honda dealer she took it to said the engine was bad I figured it was good and they just wanted to f her.. So now also my cam grove where the pin goes is messed up on one side could be fixed but the 3rd cam cap is fryed on cam/cam cap as well other 3 are good to ok.. few lines on 4th.. Sucks has this happen to anyone else.. I havent took the oil pan off but will I do have a car hoist and it will be easy.. should be.. Engine spins really easy with just the force of my palm.. I am hoping the bottom end is good what should I do.. Do any of you have a cylinder head with cam and gear.. Also I did get it started before all this and it would start with the IMA only since it needed more force to get it going.. IMA does work fine no IMA light.. did get a CPS 1 and 2 code..

Reply  Post New Thread