Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Needs More Duct Tape

Slambo - '99 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.21 mpg (US)
Cool Civic HX : D16Y5 Exhaust : Slambo Wants a Second Wideband O2 Sensor

I want to install a second wideband 02 sensor into Slambo to run a dedicated Air/Fuel gauge (largely to monitor Lean Burn) ... but I'm looking at the OEM exhaust manifold and I'm not sure if it'll be possible to drill it and add a bung.

Is anyone running the Magnaflow manifold/cat?

MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters - 49-STATE & CANADA Catalytic Converters For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

I'm wondering if it might work for this (could it be drilled on the reverse side?) ... either that or go the header route. I'd like to avoid the expense of replacing the entire exhaust (it's in okay shape) and don't want a flatulent muffler. (We've already trashed one of those.)

If I end up going with a header, I'll spring for before/after dyno tests.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGomatic View Post
I want to install a second wideband 02 sensor into Slambo to run a dedicated Air/Fuel gauge (largely to monitor Lean Burn) ... but I'm looking at the OEM exhaust manifold and I'm not sure if it'll be possible to drill it and add a bung.

Is anyone running the Magnaflow manifold/cat?

MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters - 49-STATE & CANADA Catalytic Converters For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

I'm wondering if it might work for this (could it be drilled on the reverse side?) ... either that or go the header route. I'd like to avoid the expense of replacing the entire exhaust (it's in okay shape) and don't want a flatulent muffler. (We've already trashed one of those.)

If I end up going with a header, I'll spring for before/after dyno tests.
Are you certain you want this? Your HX probably already has two. And the ECU already monitors the AFR on the HX using a wideband sensor. You can read that data using an ultragauge plugged into the OBD2 port. You're already aware of that and there's something else you are trying to do? Run a SAFC2 or some other Apexi or like unit? Sorry, just rying to help...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Needs More Duct Tape

Slambo - '99 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.21 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Are you certain you want this? Your HX probably already has two. And the ECU already monitors the AFR on the HX using a wideband sensor. You can read that data using an ultragauge plugged into the OBD2 port. You're already aware of that and there's something else you are trying to do? Run a SAFC2 or some other Apexi or like unit? Sorry, just rying to help...
Yep, the D16Y5 already has two 02 sensors. I have a sweet high-end air/fuel gauge sitting on the shelf. It would be cool if I could simply tap into the existing wideband sensor, but it doesn't sound like that's an option.

The goal is to put the a/f gauge line of sight, while running Dash Command on the JVC flat screen head unit (via AppLink).

I have bluetooth and wifi dongles, as well as a scangauge and hardwire, but how many things can you plug into the OBD port at once? (I've never been able to get two units working with a splitter.)

Reply  Post New Thread