Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Jump started my car... with my bicycle!

I guess I was way more tired than I realized last night. I parked the car, unloaded my luggage, then went back out to write down the mpg for the trip. Well, I left the keys in the car all night... with the ignition "ON". Woke up this morning to 4V on my 12V battery, and a car that would not start.

So I rolled by bicycle over, and hooked its tiny little 12V illumination system battery to the Insight's battery cables with 16 gauge wire. Turned the key in the ignition and it fired right up. Then I hooked my Optima Yellow Top back up and took off. I got predictably terrible mileage as I used gasoline to charge my two batteries.

The DC/DC converter runs until the high voltage battery is almost empty, then it thankfully shuts off and allows the 12V battery to deplete itself. To recover from two flat batteries, you need the engine running to recharge the HV battery. But to start the engine, you need a few amps of 12V to power up various computers. But to turn on the DC/DC converter, you need a tiny amount of current to kick over a few relays and whatnot. So that's why a Honda hybrid can be jump started with a 9V battery, or a bicycle.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

sputnik - '93 oldsmobile silhouette
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

home sweet home - '92 ford clubwagon E-350 xlt

very excelant - '92 honda civic vx
love it.
in my mind i had an image of you riding your bike towing the insight with someone in the front seat waiting to pop the clutch
Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I had a 58 Volkswagen that would occasionally just not crank. It was still 6 volt. Finally found an old VW mechanic who knew how to fix it, two solenoids in series circuit.

In the 6 months it took to finally figure out a cure that would make the key actually start the car. I bought a Tecumseh lawn mower engine spool and put it between the adjustment washers on the generator. 4 winds on a rope and voila, a pull starter.

Ign on
Blip throttle once for some fuel
Set timing so it did not backfire when you pull started it
Wrap cord around spool 4 turns
Place foot on right bumper guard
PULL!

regards
Mech
Old 05-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
...how big are your arms again??? I'd be able to push start a bug I reckon, but not pull start it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I had a 58 Volkswagen that would occasionally just not crank. It was still 6 volt. Finally found an old VW mechanic who knew how to fix it, two solenoids in series circuit.

In the 6 months it took to finally figure out a cure that would make the key actually start the car. I bought a Tecumseh lawn mower engine spool and put it between the adjustment washers on the generator. 4 winds on a rope and voila, a pull starter.

Ign on
Blip throttle once for some fuel
Set timing so it did not backfire when you pull started it
Wrap cord around spool 4 turns
Place foot on right bumper guard
PULL!

regards
Mech
hilarious...
my mom drove one around with no clutch.. I don't know how she did it either.
pop her in gear and jump down the road.
the manual start could be why the old ford inlines attempted 3 main bearings...
it is a bit more difficult today.
I still whirl over a 1781cc subaru by hand when it comes time for repairs, timing belt , playing with distributor. It goes with the steretype that the engine is small... even after mentioning displacement. Frictionless does seem smaller doesn't it?

for the battery, if needing a charge, I have a tiny charger that cranks the amps.. was given to me as errored or even broken. Lucky error...
Old 05-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
The DC/DC converter runs until the high voltage battery is almost empty, then it thankfully shuts off and allows the 12V battery to deplete itself.
Actually, it doesn't work that way, at least in my experience. If you have ignition or ACC on, the 12-volt battery can drain even though the IMA battery stays fully charged, at which point you can't start the car even by push-starting.

That's also a reason to keep an eye on the state of the 12-volt. If it gradually goes bad, you won't notice in normal driving, until one night you see the DC/DC converter stops working, the engine starts misfiring, and you coast to a stop. New 12-volt battery, and problem goes away.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Awesome story!

I jump started my Supra once with my 24 volt Scooter.

I have started a Air cooled VW engine with a 1/2" ratchet on the alternator pulley, running correctly they fire up on first compression stroke. It took me a few years t realize that all of the sound equipment was killing the "lifetime warranty" alternators, what can I say, I was in high school.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn View Post
in my mind i had an image of you riding your bike towing the insight with someone in the front seat waiting to pop the clutch
I pictured exactly the same thing!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Computer/EV enthusiast

Very cool. Sure beats push starting it.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn View Post
love it.
...that was my mental visualization too!

Reply  Post New Thread