Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 02:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
It is not performing correctly so I think that should be fixed first. Ask aeromodder about glomming a bunch of aeromods onto a car that isn't anywhere near running right... it just doesn't pan out when I beat him handily with my totally stock version of the same car.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-30-2011, 03:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My Metro House - '93 Geo Metro
Did the rebuild alter compression ratio?

What is the speed limit before sudden 600 foot climb on the way home (how far can you coast up the hill and is it so crazy that coasting is not an option)? Can you wait and start the car until the bottom of hill (just before you have a chance to accelerate slowly upon instant startup) when you leave home?

Do you always wait excessively to accelerate slowly, or do you weigh what it costs to sit there vs. what it costs to accelerate quickly within your mind? By "slowly" do you mean "a slight push" or do you mean at least a 25% turn on the TPS (throttle position sensor?

Did it have factory air conditioning (ever)? Does it now? Was the camshaft replaced during the rebuild?

I think an automatic can get like 55mpg at 39mph over an extended period of time that has neither acceleration, deceleration, or excessive electric drag from the alternater. If I'm right, then 40mpg is plausible (and what I think is usually more than possible and likely an average of everyone {or the beautiful mpg of an automatic 97 3cylinder metro}).

I'm a weird poster.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
I'd give the engine time to wear in....and meantime flush the ATF with a pan cleaning/new filter?

You can usually get some more power and mpg by running the ignit advanced some on the earlier cars.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Old 05-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hey pizzaguy to answer your questions a little bit, no its a base model so no a/c
and there is a light right at the bottom so i kinda have only like 100 a feet to accelerate once i hit the hill, i usually go like10-15 mph up it. and no coasting is not an option. and around town i tap on it like 10 percent of the pedal power, like little as possible.
now about the engine rebuild, what does breaking it in have to with getting better mpg?
and why would tranny fluid change affect mpg too?
also pizzaguy, do you know anyone who gets like 50 or 45 mpg in thier automatic? if so mention there name so i can message them thanks
Old 05-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

turquoise - '97 Toyota Starlet
90 day: 41.46 mpg (US)
Well a new engine, consuming oil, means oil is getting into the combustion chamber which is not good for efficiency and/or minimizing knock. So break the engine in moderately hard.

Changing the tranny fluid on an Auto will have a more pronounce affect on MPG, than doing the same with a Manual..

I agree with Frank, find the problem/s and fix them before bothering with any aero mods.

Also accelerate briskly up to speed, and then hold it steady. An MPGuino will help you with this.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
Yep, they're right. get that sucker up to snuff mechanically speaking before doing aeromods.

I also agree that the engine is probably just getting used to its new set up. Although I wouldn't say this is the ENTIRETY of your issues, it's very common for cars to go through an adjustment period of sorts when they've had significant repairs or maintenance done.

Best of luck, I can't wait until you start cranking out some impressive numbers with your metro!

Reply  Post New Thread