Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Honda MTF!!! Not synthetic anything where the tranny is concerned. I'm like you, may as well put the best stuff in there since you don't change the tranny fluid too often and the extra cost is less than that 6 pack of beer we buy without batting an eyelash. But, Hondas like Honda Genuine Tranny oil, I've looked exhaustively into it, you can as well, I'm sure you'll come to the same conclusion.

Congrats on the Insight!

The Following User Says Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
War_Wagon (04-09-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Musician w/ Light Wallet

SeaBiscuit - '98 Honda Civic DX Hatch
Team Honda
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
I've put some Pennzoil Synchromesh in my Honda transmission. Doesn't seem to mind so far, and others have used it. I couldn't find anyone on the internet who's had trouble with it in their Honda transmission. Have you found any problems with other fluids, Chaz?

JMac
Old 04-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
I looked into it in the Honda specific forums. Everyone wants to think they can do better. But I noticed the people who were "guessing" that it would probably be OK to use something other than what Honda recommended were nothing other than plain Joes. In several instances, Honda mechanics and other people who put themselves up as experts, said explicitly, "Use Honda MTF." Who am I to argue? That’s my whole basis for saying what I did. You go ahead and put whatever you want wherever you want in your car.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Up until the late '90's Honda recommended motor oil changed every other year in the manual transmissions of their cars, Honda did that because they used some alloys that were not compatible with the sulfur in most gear oil, sulfur being a good high pressure lubricant.
Anyway, because of this people have tried alot of non motor oil gear oils in Honda's and alot of them work well, but I have to agree that the Honda OEM gear oil could vary well be the best you are going to find, not sure how often they recommend changing it or how much it costs, but it should be worth using.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Join http://www.insightcentral.net/

Main battery
check for codes, IMA light
check span on gage ...full to reset, by charging at 3500 rpm in neutral until full, then hill climb with full assist until battery gage drops to a negative recal. The more gage span the better; 15~18 bars is fine.http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com/ charges $1200~1500 for a rebuilt w 1 year guarantee.

Tires 165/65/14 Bridgestone RE 92 Potenza pumped to 50 psi with OEM wheels... any other tire/wheel combo will lessen mpg. Torque wheels to 80 ft/lb.

Front end alignment ... toe set to +/- 0.00". Rear is shimmed.

Ground straps (3 each) under the intake air box...replace or clean if missing or corroded; causes varing weird electrical faults.

Strong 12v battery; get it load tested for free at any auto parts store, Wallmart, or etc., a weak one causes varing weird electrical faults. > 11.5 v with engine off,headlights on, 12.5 v headlights & engine off, 13.8~14v at idle,

Not wanting to start an oil war, but I use the cheapest 5w20 oil that's on sale, along with OEM Honda filters that I bought on Ebay for $26 for a case of 12. Change both a/p owners manual. Install Fumoto F-106 valve on easily stripped magnesium oil pan drain, use crush washer.

Use only Honda fluids in tranny, clutch, brakes, and radiator. Cheap insurance.

Change cabin filter...it will be filthy.

Plugs were NEVER copper, are indexed, and last 105k + miles.

Herky gerky hesitation or choking at ~2500-3500 rpm could be the egr valve or valve plate being worn broke or dirty. Easy fix.

Forget K&N filters, OEM Honda filter had a 4" H20 drop... see Autospeed.com article http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/A_109217/article.html

Last edited by silverinsight2; 04-09-2011 at 04:58 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to silverinsight2 For This Useful Post:
War_Wagon (04-09-2011)
Old 04-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
...the Honda OEM gear oil could vary well be the best you are going to find, not sure how often they recommend changing it or how much it costs, but it should be worth using.
The manual says it should be changed every 90K miles. Don't remember offhand just what it costs, but not an outrageous amount, and you're only going to need 1.5 quarts.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Thanks for the tips and links Silver. It has the stock wheels and some sort of Bridgestones on it, but I didn't check what model they were. I won't be able to get to the car until Monday now, so I have a lot of reading to do before then. Man the anticipation is killing me!

For what it's worth, I think I will just go with the Honda MTF, and some synthetic Amsoil for the 1.0L. I'll get the oil filter from Honda, just because hey, why not.

I had just bought another car when this one came up, so my car budget was gone and I had to cash advance on the ol' Visa card to pay for it, but I think in this case I can make an exception! So keep your eyes on the classified section as I will be selling off some of the fleet to pay for this adventure into the world of hybrids!
Old 04-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverinsight2 View Post
Plugs were NEVER copper, are indexed, and last 105k + miles.
According to the Chilton shop manual for the Insight the first two years were copper plugs, but looking at the current dealer parts list they are only selling plated tip plugs, the SAE paper on spark plugs boiled down to copper plugs producing a better spark and improved burn, up until the time that they started to wear out, reading the shop manual a few years back that really stuck with me that they wanted the indexed plugs changed that often.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
According to the Chilton shop manual for the Insight the first two years were copper plugs, but looking at the current dealer parts list they are only selling plated tip plugs, the SAE paper on spark plugs boiled down to copper plugs producing a better spark and improved burn, up until the time that they started to wear out, reading the shop manual a few years back that really stuck with me that they wanted the indexed plugs changed that often.
Sorry, but Chiltons is wrong.

http://www.insightcentral.net/encycl...parkplugs.html

Last edited by silverinsight2; 04-09-2011 at 04:50 PM..
Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Congrats on the find, War Wagon!

I did a similar thing last week: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eed-16905.html

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread