Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Schematics and board layout for 144V 500amp DC motor controller

I have found some information, but not enough to start building the 144V 500amp DC motor controller designed by one of the other folks in the group. I went on the wiki and found many dead links, most links to their website were even broken. I have the knowledge, skill, and tools to build it, but i need to know the electrical connections for the parts lists that i have found. Any help?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangl7 View Post
I have found some information, but not enough to start building the 144V 500amp DC motor controller designed by one of the other folks in the group. I went on the wiki and found many dead links, most links to their website were even broken. I have the knowledge, skill, and tools to build it, but i need to know the electrical connections for the parts lists that i have found. Any help?
I don't have the latest files handy. This is Paul's new web store

https://www.ecwid.com/store/pandspow...=0&sort=normal

Sabrina may be able to email you the .sch file if you ask. Paul's been pretty busy on work stuff for the past while and has not checked into the forums regularly

Let me know if you need me to dig out the latest copy I have (which is not the latest, unfortunately, but is fairly close)
Old 08-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the offer. I did get a copy of the rev c schematic, however i use kicad and it doesnt have any of the components that the schematic calls for. So, i would probably need a copy of the .sch file to get it produced. I would just buy it off their site, but they are out of stock. Hmpfh. I did send an email to the address listed on their site, but no reply thus far....
Old 08-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Thanks for the offer. I did get a copy of the rev c schematic, however i use kicad and it doesnt have any of the components that the schematic calls for. So, i would probably need a copy of the .sch file to get it produced. I would just buy it off their site, but they are out of stock. Hmpfh. I did send an email to the address listed on their site, but no reply thus far....
I sent Paul an email - sounds like he does have the boards in stock and needs to update the site so everyone knows.

It sounds like the board is on it's way to you now.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
I went on the wiki and found many dead links, most links to their website were even broken.
Paul has mentioned that he is not good at updating the wiki.

If anyone has the bandwidth to do the updates, I think Paul has most of the information gathered. Not sure if he has solved the hosting of the photos issue as yet ...
Old 08-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I do see that they are back in stock, but now my concern is that ihave not heard from them at all since i requested contact. I would also need a complete parts list so i can calculate the total cost for me. The boards dont seem too expensive, but i need to know what im really getting into, and if i really need the full compliment of those parts. The first project i want to build, will probably require half of what its capable of.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
I do see that they are back in stock, but now my concern is that ihave not heard from them at all since i requested contact. I would also need a complete parts list so i can calculate the total cost for me. The boards dont seem too expensive, but i need to know what im really getting into, and if i really need the full compliment of those parts. The first project i want to build, will probably require half of what its capable of.
Oh - maybe it was someone else that Paul sent the board to? He told me that a board was on the way to the guy who emailed him ... strange.

You can leave out several MOSFETs and it will still work OK. They are kind of expensive and there are many of them. The Heat sink that the MOSFETs are clamped to takes a bit of metal working, drilling and tapping, the insulated tape to allow heat to get to the heat sink but still have it electrically isolated .. the tape is not expensive but I think you buy it by the roll?

The gates, drivers, and other logic are not expensive. Many of them have several devices on a single chip. I guess you can leave them out if you want to.

I found my rev C zip file with the .sch file, gerber, etc and a separate pdf with the part list. I can't post it here since it is too big. If you want you can PM me and I'll email it to you.

The board uses through-hole parts and the soldering is a bit difficult for a beginner but OK for an intermediate. There are a couple of things that need to be done in the correct order so that things fit and can be soldered without other stuff interfering.

I bought a 500 amp DC kit from someone who gave up on their electric conversion, along with a charger and a few other parts. The soldering was not very good and I ended up re-soldering almost every connection that I could reach. Unfortunately the CPU had a cold solder on the RX serial pin that I missed, and it caused me trouble. When I figured it out and went to fix the solder, I left the soldering iron on the pin too long and I cooked the RX pin. So the CPU could send me data but not receive any configs. I did use it for some testing a few times with the settings that it had ... and then during a test I overheated the controller and blew up most of the MOSFETs.

So I know the instructions work OK. And the design has been built by several people. I don't know how many controllers are running cars, but Adam updated his PC based monitoring software to Win 7 a while ago ... so they are out there!

Did that help at all? The controller hardware works, the design works, the software works. I can send you the parts list and the schematic files. But I can't give you a list of the stuff you can leave out when assembling it and still have it run.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Ya, it was somebody else that had emailed me about getting a board, so my wife fixed the website to reflect the boards I had on hand.