Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Move - '99 Daihatsu Move Aero Down Custom XX
90 day: 29.89 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Dust
OBD2 question

So I have an SG2 that I got for a good price, and tried to hook it up here in Japan to my car. I tried all the settings, and it doesn't work. I know it isn't JOBD compatible, but why not try. So, I got on ebay, and found this

eBay.ie: KWP100 OBDI OBDII EOBD JOBD ECU FLASHER Car DTC Scanner (item 350085020883 end time 11-Aug-08 15:24:47 BST)

It says it supports JOBD, but it only list for protocols. It lists them in more detail than the SG2 does, so I was wondering if anyone had the specific protocols that SG2 supports? I have tried emailing them 3 times with no answer.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Hmm, they're not replying to email? Personally, I don't know...How recently did you email them?

Someone might be able to call on your behalf (like me).
Old 09-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi, I bought a SG2 (here in Australia) and thought it would be fine on my 2004 Subaru Impreza RX

WRONG!!!!!!

For some reason, which i cant seem to find out (yet) is that some Impreza's are not compatible. Other models before 2004 and after are OK though!! strange!!! I was soooo p'd off about it, as the SG2 is a little gem.
I am now in the search for not only the reasons it will not fit on 2004 model. but maybe there is other devices around that will.

It's all to do with what protocols are used in the factory ECU and SG2 has a list to choose from in the setup but ISO (I think the ones Impreza needs is ISO - 9141-2) I think is the one, but not 100% sure on this, is not the right one as it just does not connect to the ECU for data although it powers up and and you can navigate through the menu's it just will not connect.

I have a theory about what mode the ECU is locked into, say after a service and a scan check tool in the service garage may be able to tell me if the ECU is in a non scan mode or it may be locked in a closed mode?? thjese are just some theories I have

Anyway this is my first post here and it looks so COOOL

Joffa

Australia
Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

IF I remember correctly, most of the Subbies come from Japan right, or do you have an Aussie version?
I would truly appreciate if someone could get a list of all protocols supported by the scangauge. I too can get it to power on, but I can't get it to find anything. I tried loading every protocol on the list, but it didn't work.

I have emailed them twice about the protocol, and once about if they would ever have JOBD support.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi I am not sure about the Aussie Soobs, they are all imported to our country and I assume are made up in the Japanese Factory to be Aussie Specific for overseas sale??

Anyway I am going to contact my Local Subaru Retailer and contact someone in the Service Dept and see if they can tell me the exact Protocol Impreza's use. The following list is from the SG2 manual in regards to what types of Protocols different cars use. I know The 2004 Impreza is ISO but I cant confirm the exact code number for it. I also assume that SG2 is only (currently) only compliant with the ones listed below?? and therefore not all the different codes are installed on the SG2.
I hope a future release will fix this problem.

Below is the different codes SG2 uses (from the Manual)

FORD Products: PWM or CANSF
GM Products: VPW , ISO or CANSF
Chrysler Products: ISO, VPW or CANSF
Volvo Products: ISO, CANSF or CANLF
Others: ISO, KWPS, KWPF, CANSF, CANLF, CANSS or CANLS

I am still wondering if the different modes the Service Technicians (via a hand held device) can put the ECU into while servicing and checking. They are......
General Scan
Select monitor
Read Diagnostic Trouble Codes
Inspection mode
Drive Cycle ( for Dyno type work)

I am kinda grasping at straws in regard to these having anything to do with why the ECU will not connect to the SG2
This is just a theory.

Joffa
Old 09-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I saw those in the booklet, but I am more looking for the numbers after that, like the ones

* SAE J1850 PWM
* SAE J1850 VPW
* ISO 9141-2
* ISO 14230

like listed in the above ebay auction
Old 09-10-2008, 06:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Good luck finding out the protocol, I went to my local Toyota dealer (I am in Tassie) and asked whether the Daihatsu Sirion GTVi 2000 model was OBD ll compliant and the answer was "we don't know we just plug in the diagnostic tool and it works" real confidence inspiring.
I want SG2 but I would like to know that it at least may work.
Oh, and I emailed Toyota Australia the same question and have received no reply.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Yeah is about what I might expect?? I hope it is not the case for the Subaru Dealer I will ring and ask!! I have a feeling it might be ISO - 9141 - 2 for my exact year model, but I need to confirm this.
Also SG2 does not mention in the manual about what actual code number after the Protocol ID each model actually is. I am hoping in the future SG2 do a decent upgrade to the firmware on the device to allow more OBD2 Protocols specific to Makes and Models.

Ill get back to this thread soon, really is good to have other minds on the same line of thinking.

Joffa
Old 09-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

those numbers after the protocol are what I am looking for.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dust, Try ringing the local Seller of your type of vehicle and ask them the Codes for your year model. They must know!! if not get them to do some investigating and find out for you, thats what I am doing with My Local Sooby dealer.

I might try hassling SG2 myself to see if I get any joy, I would like a better list of Protocols and the codes for diferent year models and types. I would like to suggest that they update the Firmware in the next model or just do a FW update anyway to bring it up to speed.

Joffa

Reply  Post New Thread