Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #81 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.59 mpg (US)
I wasn't offering it up as health food, just a dairy free alternative to ice cream.

How is soy hard on your system?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #82 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
I wasn't offering it up as health food, just a dairy free alternative to ice cream.

How is soy hard on your system?
O, I know. I'll probably get some vegan junk food ice cream today, in fact!

Soy is under debate about estrogen levels in women, so some vegans try to avoid it when possible just to have more varied protein sources, etc
Old 08-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #83 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

What about the bone char thing? How do you know whether sugar can be considered vegan or not?

Old 08-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #84 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Well, that's the problem, you can't an tofutti doesn't try to help the situation at all. That's why I stick with Purely Decadent, they use organic sugars and all their ingredients are certified and tested vegan.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #85 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
So Delicious (formerly Soy Delicious) ice cream is the best soy ice cream I've ever had. Purely Decadent is awesome, and I too avoid Tofutti - it's a bit weird. I haven't heard anything about bone char, but as for the rumors about soy being "bad for you" or hikes up your estrogen level... how do you explain the fact that asians (who consume soy based products on almost a daily basis) are at several times less at risk for breast cancer than people who eat "western" diets? The meat and dairy industry have a LOT of money to spend to make sure people continue to consume, and it's not all for "got milk?" and "beef, it's what's for dinner". I'll leave it at that. Please do not fall victim to anti soy propaganda. No, you shouldn't eat nothing but soy - you should eat a balanced diet, and get a variety of protein sources. Not just frozen fake meat from morningstar farms and soy ice cream.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #86 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
So Delicious (formerly Soy Delicious) ice cream is the best soy ice cream I've ever had. Purely Decadent is awesome, and I too avoid Tofutti - it's a bit weird. I haven't heard anything about bone char, but as for the rumors about soy being "bad for you" or hikes up your estrogen level... how do you explain the fact that asians (who consume soy based products on almost a daily basis) are at several times less at risk for breast cancer than people who eat "western" diets? The meat and dairy industry have a LOT of money to spend to make sure people continue to consume, and it's not all for "got milk?" and "beef, it's what's for dinner". I'll leave it at that. Please do not fall victim to anti soy propaganda. No, you shouldn't eat nothing but soy - you should eat a balanced diet, and get a variety of protein sources. Not just frozen fake meat from morningstar farms and soy ice cream.
I agree with you that there are much bigger cancer risks than soy that vegans are already avoiding, but I've had friends work on the soy research first hand so I believe there may be something to it, even if the answer is not yet clear.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #87 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
O, I know. I'll probably get some vegan junk food ice cream today, in fact!

Soy is under debate about estrogen levels in women, so some vegans try to avoid it when possible just to have more varied protein sources, etc
I remember reading that for those wanting to lose weight while gaining strength, soy (or a mixture of soy and rice) is recommended as a primary protein source. It's one of the very few plant based complete proteins.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 08-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #88 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
I remember reading that for those wanting to lose weight while gaining strength, soy (or a mixture of soy and rice) is recommended as a primary protein source. It's one of the very few plant based complete proteins.
This is also true. I get most of my protein from soy and beans, though I should probably eat more nuts.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #89 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Well, that's the problem, you can't an tofutti doesn't try to help the situation at all. That's why I stick with Purely Decadent, they use organic sugars and all their ingredients are certified and tested vegan.
Thanks for the tip. To be honest I have been completely avoiding the issue of bone char since I decided to go vegan a year and a half ago. There really isn't much refined sugar in my diet as it is, so I may as well just remove it altogether. Basically I should be looking for "evaporated cane juice" or "organic sugar", right?

P.S. - I have some So Delicious fudgesicles in the freezer right now. They are AWESOME!!! And certified vegan too.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #90 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
Thanks for the tip. To be honest I have been completely avoiding the issue of bone char since I decided to go vegan a year and a half ago. There really isn't much refined sugar in my diet as it is, so I may as well just remove it altogether. Basically I should be looking for "evaporated cane juice" or "organic sugar", right?

P.S. - I have some So Delicious fudgesicles in the freezer right now. They are AWESOME!!! And certified vegan too.
Yep, anything with a USDA organic thing on it should also be good, sugar wise.

Reply  Post New Thread