Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #151 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bug - '69 Volkswagen Bug Base
Just a suggestion for if you're still looking for specially shaped glass, try finding a small aircraft boneyard, and looking at the glass from one of those. I think something like that would be cheaper than getting one custom made, but you'd have to design around it to a point. Also might be hard to find a replacement.

That or maybe it's possible to bend the glass with careful use of a torch? I'm not familiar with automotive glass though.

1969 VW Bug - Daily Driver
1975 VW Baja - Current Project
Priors:
1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (RIP)
1995 Honda Prelude Si (Traded)
1980 Fiat Spider 2000 (Sold)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #152 (permalink)
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
Small aircraft "glass", is actually just a "plastic", usually Plexiglass or Lexan. Even F-16 canopies are not glass, and bending with a torch, I think would not work. It takes a LOT of heat to melt glass, try melting a bottle in a campfire.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #153 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bug - '69 Volkswagen Bug Base
Well crap. That shoots my idea. Although I do know glass has a high melting point. I was just almost thinking get a sheet, set it on some preheated sandbags (like put one in the oven, then shape it with a no-burn glove or something to about the right curvature), then kind of gently heat the centerish area with either a propane torch or a welding torch turned on low heat, and just slowly warm a large center area of the glass till it bends on its own weight. The sandbag probably wouldn't melt, although I guess I could see crap sticking to it. Eh, just trying to help.

1969 VW Bug - Daily Driver
1975 VW Baja - Current Project
Priors:
1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (RIP)
1995 Honda Prelude Si (Traded)
1980 Fiat Spider 2000 (Sold)
Old 10-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #154 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
The optical distortion of bending glass in an uncontrolled manner gives me the wee bee jee bees.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #155 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Sorry it's been a couple days. I had a lot of stuff to catch up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Engines - IMHO - The Aygo KR-FE unit is very much an up to date 3cyl petrol, probably better for compactness and lightness than excellent torque / performance. In my Aygo the gearing is about 22 mph / 1000 (based on sat nav) in 5th, but you do feel the air resistance at anything over 60. With such a streamlined shape maybe a longer geared and higher torque setup would be better.

The equivalent Hyundai engine is the Kappa 3cyl from the i10, similar spec to the KR-FE but heavier, but does have a start stop and intelligent alternator system - reduced load on hills for example.

What is the target weight for this car ?

The FIAT Twin Air is good on paper, it has good performance for the size especially. Reports "from the field" though seem to suggest that even in it's low-boost "eco" mode it can't match the claimed economy figures and isn't as good as the 1.3 Multijet Diesel.

The 1.2tdi from the Lupo 3L / Polo Bluemotion may be a better bet if you want the best torque / economy compromise. Heavier than both and would need more space but a great engine all the same, and has the option of a 6speed.

There is the 1.2 TDI Insight as an example of course. And Vekke is aiming for 2l/100km from his.
Ok, it sounds like the FIAT thing is not going to be the best idea for this. Does the TDI come with manual? haha that's the question to everything

Target weight is about 900kg/2000lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Low pressure means it is close(r) to separation?
That's how I understand it. And any higher pressure than necessary to keep attached flow results in drag. Right? Maybe Phil or someone else in the know would be kind enough to enlighten us.

Quote:
The radii on the front will be good. I would look at the usefulness of the interior volume and see if the windshield plan curve works with it.
I didn't realize the A Pillars got moved back during the creation of this newest model. Oops! I will fix it.

Quote:
And the wheels on your model are in a very different situation than the wheels on the Ferrari. I think that the 15 degree angle is an outward flow, not inward? Which is good, and this is the reason why the back is tapered in.

Have you seen the 4 wheel designs by Jason Hill?

If the rear wheels are at least partially engaged, then the strakes do not have to be this large, but the basic idea would help, I think?
So you think the tapering of the body will negate this outward flow? I will be doing something about covering the rear wheels. Probably strakes sticking down from the underbody much like a solar car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
I assumed my Civic's front and rear glass were simple curves. Not so. There is a modest curvature that's perpendicular to the main wraparound curves.
I beg to differ.

Furthermore, the more plan view curvature you have, the more important it gets for it to be a simple curvature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Somewhere else there was a discussion of 3 wheels vs. 4. If I recall, that discussion came down in favor of 4 wheels for the additional safety/handling/traction benefits. If you want "Aunt Martha" to be willing and able to drive it like a car, four wheels help a lot.

The Aptera opted for 3 wheels, with a single (driven??) wheel in the rear. That configuration is already established as better handling than 1 front + 2 rear, but the Aptera had serious handling difficulties at the X-Prize competition and did not win its class.
Right on. A car needs four wheels to be "accepted" as a car. Think about how even the Prius is teased for looking different, then imagine what a three wheeled car would have to take. It's just not worth it, even in the purely marketing sense.

I know Aptera changed the drive wheels to front to back or vice versa, and that's one reason it's taken so long to develop. If they ever come out, though, I would definitely consider one for a daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Sven7, I'm sort of bummed out. Not that the changes make the car look conventional, just that the mission of changing it slightly and retaining it's original character seems lost now.
You can call me Tyler... it's ok

I'm not sure what you mean... did I compromise the design while roughing it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
I've played with similar concepts for many years, I have yet to do what I'm about to suggest (at least on a 4 wheel car). Make a Styrofoam plug of what you consider the minimum passenger area (don't forget the wheels) and then add globs and globs of clay to it.

Cheers, George/kach22i
That's what I'm doing with the Scion blueprint in the model. The Scion's interior volume is the goal. I don't have the time or resources right now to do a clay model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
It's not easy to get near the brochure numbers with Fiat's Twin Air.

If you want tight packaging, look at the new 1L VW 3 cyl. engine used in the VW up!
On CNG in the projected Blue Motion version, it's expected to deliver 75g CO2/km - 2.5kg CNG / 100km - that's lower than anything out there with an ICE.
CNG adds weight though and needs a lot of volume to get some decent range.

The Kia /Hyundai 1.1L diesel is newer and more efficient than the 1.2L VW TDi
In the Kia Rio - not exactly a small car - it's EU rated for 85 g CO2/km / 3.2 L/100km or 73.5mpg
Interesting. I'd love to say that CNG is practical in the US but it just isn't accepted or available as an automotive fuel. I think to compete in the US market this car will probably need to be something along the lines of gas, diesel, biodiesel or electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtkid2002 View Post
Just a suggestion for if you're still looking for specially shaped glass, try finding a small aircraft boneyard, and looking at the glass from one of those. I think something like that would be cheaper than getting one custom made, but you'd have to design around it to a point. Also might be hard to find a replacement.

That or maybe it's possible to bend the glass with careful use of a torch? I'm not familiar with automotive glass though.
Thanks for the suggestions but I'm assuming the car is built by a major auto manufacturer with access to the necessary tooling. Remember, I'm designing it to be put into mass production, not just one or two examples.

Yes, it's only a thought experiment at this point. In the interest of realistic design, though, I'm looking at it from the same perspective as if I were doing a sponsored project at school, with a little more thought toward production.

-------------------

Whew!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #156 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here's a link you may be interested in.

ProCurve Glass

I've been looking at these guys for my project. The trick is that you can use all sorts of circular projections, (ellipses, etc) but stay away from compound curves, which will make the costs,and the problems spiral out of control
Old 10-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #157 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by autogyro View Post
Here's a link you may be interested in.

ProCurve Glass

I've been looking at these guys for my project. The trick is that you can use all sorts of circular projections, (ellipses, etc) but stay away from compound curves, which will make the costs,and the problems spiral out of control
The windshield form in the model is built as a monorail, which means it's basically the combination of a straight line in side view and a curve in plan view. No compound curves here

In other news, I'm messing around with the model. The A Pillar is now back up to where the Scion's is, and the rear is pulled out to go around the wheels. However pulling the body out made it all ugly so I deleted it and am in the process of remaking it...

Oh, also, I took the roofline down so it doesn't have that weird notch at the back. It intersects the shoulder line form like a liftback would.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #158 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I quickly rounded off some edges for some renderings.

This is for visualization only. I will be making many changes after this.

More renderings by Tyler Linner, on Flickr

It looks really ugly... auughhhh. Needs some serious revision.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #159 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I do think that having a "proper" taper on the back should keep the air underneath the car from being drawn/pulled out.

The red model above looks quite similar to Dave Cloud's Dolphin:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...hin-13142.html

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #160 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
The tail looks heavy in the red rendering.

1. Make a smaller rear window, it's adding too much visual weight.

2. Use semi transparent materials in the tail, frit glass plexi? See the Dolphin.

3. I know people complained about the original high nose, but I miss it now. Perhaps adding the inlet for the radiator and other details will allow a more bulbous nose look.

4. The car has it own look, sort of luxury liner, I like it in general, it's more sensual than tech-onic.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
Reply  Post New Thread