Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Locksmiths use graphite lock fluid. It's sold in a can as such (or at least it was decades ago). I have some on my shelf and it is indispensable when needed.

It's probably kerosine mixed with graphite, marketed in a convenient squeeze-nozzle can to squirt it into the lock.

It works well, even though it is messy, temporarily. In cold, wet weather older locks on cars and household doors might seize up, meaning they become hard to turn. Using graphite lock fluid is the cure. IT WORKS!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
So I got my powdered graphite in.

One problem, it specifically says don't use it in the ignition and don't use it in electric locks.

So I guess I will just have to leave the locks alone. I'm wondering if I need a new key, because my original is wearing out. But how do I get a key cut using the worn out key as the match? Can I get a key from the dealership using my VIN? It's not a chipped key.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
You can get keys cut at a dealership. They will (or should) ask for a copy of your registration along with the VIN, in order to prove that you actually own the car you are getting the key cut for.

If you don't know the history of your car though, it may not always work. If the car was ever stolen for example, the ignition may have been punched, and replaced by a used one from another car that came with a key in order to reduce the repair costs after the car was recovered. This is not entirely uncommon, but most times the factory key codes the car was made with will still be the correct ones.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Graphite is CONDUCTIVE, hence the cautions about not using in electrical switches.

Reply  Post New Thread