Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What's good build eco sedans

For my next car coming up I want to get a vehicle that has more rear seat space than my current 04 A4 avant, safe (this is very important), gets or can get great economy, and that I can fix (hate going to the dealer for anything). So far I've thought that a 98-00 A6 could do the job if I swapped in a fwd manual 6 spd and a tdi motor. Thought after aero mods and weight reduction that maybe the a6 could get 45mpg. The '12 and up accords fit the bill decent, just not sure I would need a Honda diag tool or not. Suggestions? A build is not out of the question obviously

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi-ultra View Post
For my next car coming up I want to get a vehicle that has more rear seat space than my current 04 A4 avant, safe (this is very important), gets or can get great economy, and that I can fix (hate going to the dealer for anything). So far I've thought that a 98-00 A6 could do the job if I swapped in a fwd manual 6 spd and a tdi motor. Thought after aero mods and weight reduction that maybe the a6 could get 45mpg. The '12 and up accords fit the bill decent, just not sure I would need a Honda diag tool or not. Suggestions? A build is not out of the question obviously
If you want lots of space with great safety, then I would look at a Lexus RX series hybrid. Tons of room and gets around the 45mpg mark stock. Look at some aero mods, reducing tyre drag and tinker with adding PHEV and you could get far better. Also has the benefit of EoC, engine stop and Atkinson cycle.

You are lucky that they are relatively cheap,where you are.

Simon
Old 10-16-2016, 02:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Even though a hybrid crossover SUV might be a reasonable option, it's still quite a pig compared to a sedan or a wagon. And the OP also didn't express any specific off-road ability or ground clearance requirements that could favor the Lexus. Plus it's not everybody who has the skills to perform the maintenance or to make complex repairs in a hybrid drivetrain.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Just intended to get the thought process going towards hybrids. In my experience, there is very little maintenance that cannot be done by an average joe that is mechanically inclined with the assistance of a Techstream cable from flea bay. The majority of the car is vanilla Toyota.

Simon
Old 10-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I was trying to stay away from hybrids. I admit there's a lot of Prius's out there and they wouldn't keep popular if hefty expensive repairs were frequent. Drawback personally is working on the hybrid system. I'm hybrid certified but I have little knowledge of the Toyota system, haven't looked at their version/design too closely.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
My experience has been that the hybrid systems don't need anything, basically ever. The hybrid system in my Insight has been chugging along for 16 years without a hitch, ditto with my wife's Civic Hybrid.

You might find this site useful:

Long-Term Quality Index

Over the ~20 years this site has been collecting data, the only manufacturer that's less reliable than Volkswagen/Audi is Mini (and Smart, but I don't think they count for anything):

It's worth noting that Honda's score was pulled down mostly by Suzuki's they've sold on their lots branded as Hondas, and by the transmission issues for Accords in the early 2000's.

Across the board, Toyota leads the charts, with the Prius being the most reliable compact sold in America:

Old 10-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
My experience has been that the hybrid systems don't need anything, basically ever. The hybrid system in my Insight has been chugging along for 16 years without a hitch, ditto with my wife's Civic Hybrid.
Agree totally. I have just bought my third Toyota/Lexus hybrid. There are hybrid Toyota taxis with >800,000 kilometers on the clock with no significant issues.

Simon
Old 10-16-2016, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Glad to hear some solid input on the Toyotas. Would probably have to go for the Camry for more space. Any input from anyone with diesels? A plug-in hybrid may get the ticket as we're going to solar our roof in the near future. Thanks for all the input guys
Old 10-16-2016, 11:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
I'd say look at one of the Prius, maybe the Prius V if you need a lot of space. It's practically a minivan and yet it's easy to get over 50mpg in it. The normal, mid-sized Prius actually has more passenger-compartment volume AND luggage space than a Camry, though perhaps not as much legroom, and the V is cavernous inside. Otherwise, a Chevy Volt could be a great option. A member here, Cowmeat, recently picked one up and is getting close to 50 miles of electric range, and probably hasn't burned more than a gallon of gasoline since he bought it.

Last edited by Ecky; 10-16-2016 at 11:36 PM..
Old 10-16-2016, 11:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah I'll have to look at those V's. The regular Prius's don't have enough rear seat space. That's the real issue. With a second little one in the future that rear seat space is needed in the a4 let alone in the Sentra. It's really cramped for a wagon. I'm 5'6" and find it uncomfortable sitting in the back seat.

Reply  Post New Thread