Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2021, 03:32 PM   #421 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
There is and RV dealer here that will fill up to 20 gallons at a time for $1/gal all summer long as well.
I guess you refer to propane, as it's often pointed out to have a higher energy density than CNG, and so it's better suited to meet the requirements of all the appliances of a motorhome with propane-powered water heater, genset and even some fridges which can operate with either electricity or propane.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #422 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I guess you refer to propane, as it's often pointed out to have a higher energy density than CNG, and so it's better suited to meet the requirements of all the appliances of a motorhome with propane-powered water heater, genset and even some fridges which can operate with either electricity or propane.
Yes propane. I have had 2 vehicles that run on propane. Both were 454 Chevy motors one in a 1984 motorhome and another in a 1996 one ton crew cab pickup. They both were actually dual fuel so I guess technically hybrids? They each just had a single simple switch on the dash to switch from unleaded gas to propane. That was good because the fuel injected petrol system was better from a cold start or pulling a hill, but hit the switch on the fly and it changed over without a hiccup. The pickup had a massive 115 gallon tank in the bed for propane and then 40 gallons of gasoline. Too bad it didn't get better than 13 mpg, still could go over 1000 miles even towing.

The motorhome I didn't have long, but sold it to a poor dude who was living out of it, and swapped the engine supply line so it could feed the house loads because I had just filled the bigger motor tank. He didn't know the engine line was unregulated (or set at a much higher pressure if it was) so the 30,000 btu furnace became like a 200,000 btu furnace and burned it to the ground. Thankfully nobody was in it and he hadn't moved all of his worldly possessions inside it yet. It was only a $3500 RV and they actually could salvage the freshly rebuilt 454 that was in it.
Old 12-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #423 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Both were 454 Chevy motors one in a 1984 motorhome and another in a 1996 one ton crew cab pickup. They both were actually dual fuel so I guess technically hybrids?
Not exactly hybrids

Quote:
They each just had a single simple switch on the dash to switch from unleaded gas to propane. That was good because the fuel injected petrol system was better from a cold start or pulling a hill, but hit the switch on the fly and it changed over without a hiccup.
Vapour-phase propane injection I guess.

Quote:
The motorhome I didn't have long, but sold it to a poor dude who was living out of it, and swapped the engine supply line so it could feed the house loads because I had just filled the bigger motor tank. He didn't know the engine line was unregulated (or set at a much higher pressure if it was) so the 30,000 btu furnace became like a 200,000 btu furnace and burned it to the ground.
Most likely it was regulated at a much higher pressure.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:51 PM   #424 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Last I checked you cannot get a propane conversion system into the USA. They outlawed them.

None the less you proved that propane does not get better MPG.

Rich
Old 01-19-2022, 07:30 PM   #425 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
None the less you proved that propane does not get better MPG
AFAIK propane tends to get lower MPG, yet it's often priced more favorably. CNG on the other hand can eventually get a higher MPG.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, scam