Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Where to get a compatible arduino?

As the mpguino kit isn't available, I wanted to build my own from original arduino board. But I can't find the "old" one with ATmega168 and if I'm right with ATmega328 I will have a problem:
Code needs Arduino 11 because of math librarys, this version doesn't support the 328.
And if I take a newer version that supports the ATmega328 boards, I can't compile the code

Any solutions?

Edit: I just tried to verfify / compile v0.75 with Arduino 17 and it completed without errors. Where is the problem with incompatible math librarys?

Last edited by Sebastian; 10-04-2009 at 04:56 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
It looks like the 328 is here to stay in arduino land, the code should fit now. The math libraries grew in arduino 0012 and the code no longer fit. I don't generally chase arduino compatibility anymore though, it is just too rough a ride (within hours of announcing mpguino, a new version of arduino was announced that broke it) and I've got AVR GCC and assembler and ISP sorted out so I do not have a personal need to.

This project was never really a good fit for arduino though, just too complicated for that environment at the time. The bits that make it work had to drop down to straight avr anyway and arduino and the bootloader became a liability when trying to get it working and make it reliable in an automotive environment. Plus it was against the wall on space and relied on arduino interrupt implementation details (which were also changing), plus why run at 16mhz when you can run at 20mhz?

Straight AVR and ISP programming is much better for max control of your project, but Arduino is an excellent intoduction to microcontrollers, and does not preclude you from digging deeper into AVR GCC. Arduino helps getting you to "hello world" quickly, but will interfere if you are trying to get the most out of a chip as it is "higher level" than straight gcc, which in turn is higher level than assembler, but development times go up generally speaking w/lower level languages so it is always a compromise.

To demonstrate, this is a atmega88 (half the flash of a 168) assembler program, there is just no way arduino (or even avr gcc) could do this on a self contained 88:

Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OK I can understand why you wan't to "leave" arduino design. I also read most parts of "MPGuino release one workspace" threads to become familiar with development around the time where 0012 comes out.

I'm not sure if I get it right:

Quote:
The math libraries grew in arduino 0012 and the code no longer fit.
Based on this and my reading in workspace thread, you mean space on 168 Arduino is simply too little. I thought, there where problems with new functions (=wrong results during calculations in mpguino etc). If so, I will give 0017 with new Arduino a try.

Thanks for your patience

PS: Why I have to ask this, I will have to rewrite the code for my application in motorcycle, for exampe metric units and some extra functions. I'm also completely new to Arduino, so I have to stay with it's software first (and with its limits). As I have to reprogram the unit, I can't simply use the prebuild version
Old 10-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...ah, the "...two sides..." of a coin--progress on one side, obsolesence on the other!
Old 10-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...ah, the "...two sides..." of a coin--progress on one side, obsolesence on the other!
It's not so much obsolescence, though the term did occur to me, really it is another branch in a tree. I'm looking to refine stability and reliability, not to make the latest whatsit do whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
Based on this and my reading in workspace thread, you mean space on 168 Arduino is simply too little.I thought, there where problems with new functions (=wrong results during calculations in mpguino etc)
Gosh, it was a while ago. I can't say, didn't dwell in 0012 very long after that (except to try to steer 0013 back to a smaller footprint and add generic high resolution reusable timers). I really can't make any assertions about if that old pde file works with anything but 0011 on windows on a 168 without some extra effort. Most people will say "It should", but that doesn't mean snot till someone tries it and compares it to the known working version.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I really can't make any assertions about if that old pde file works with anything but 0011 on windows on a 168 without some extra effort. Most people will say "It should", but that doesn't mean snot till someone tries it and compares it to the known working version.
OK, sounds like 50:50. Thats enough, I will try and see what happens
I have no "original" unit to compare, but I could report here if I can get realistic values.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Well you can "sort of" metric it by tweaking the setup (seems zachwiej figured this out too ) and put in a value for vsspulses per km and injhiusperlitre where it asked for miles and gallons.

I don't know if anyone has used it in your rpm ranges, but a 20mhz processor wouldn't hurt in that case.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ziggy - '95 Audi S6 Sedan

Manfred - '97 Audi A6 Quattro Sedan
90 day: 20.61 mpg (US)

Clarabell - '03 Audi A4 Quattro Avant

Sherman - '98 Audi A6 Quattro Avant

Cab - '96 Audi Cabriolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
As the mpguino kit isn't available, I wanted to build my own from original arduino board. But I can't find the "old" one with ATmega168 and if I'm right with ATmega328 I will have a problem:
Code needs Arduino 11 because of math librarys, this version doesn't support the 328.
And if I take a newer version that supports the ATmega328 boards, I can't compile the code

Any solutions?

Edit: I just tried to verfify / compile v0.75 with Arduino 17 and it completed without errors. Where is the problem with incompatible math librarys?
I compiled v0.75 plus mods with Arduino0016 and it runs just fine in a Fundamental Logic MPGuino v1.0 with an ATmega328. Compile size is about 24.5KB.

Reply  Post New Thread