Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I've been running it every second tank in my 6.0 powerstroke for a few years. Because I alternate it with anouther additive I cant really comment on any fuel efficiency gains but I feel the lubricity benefits are worth it, especially in winter.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
I was very surprised to learn that MMO actually reduces lubricity in both gas and diesel applications. My Dad used it when towing his 5th wheel and believed it (just about) paid for itself, while reducing engine wear.
I may have to try that 2 stroker stuff in my old diesel in place of diesel service or the like.

MMO does have some sharp light materials in it, but on motors that tended to miss and stumble it would quite them down, I have observed it increase compression ratio also. I have experienced fuel consumption decreases with MMO as well but that may have been because the motor had problems and it was covering it up.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
I've tried it mine. Instant reduction of FE. As the motor has already seen 185k miles of use I didn't figure it would hurt, and maybe would help a tiny bit. Nope. This HPCR (high-pressure, common-rail) motor didn't like it for "help". A PM from another contributor here indicated that it may be of help on older, low-pressure motors where the fuel pump is of a different design and used fuel as a lubricant.

I'll stick with ordinary fuel additives from hereon . . where Standyne Lubricity Formula is the choice of injection specialty shops (serving industry).

This product should be the basis of comparison, IMO.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
wrx4me...

no worries - '91 Subaru legacy L
90 day: 31.45 mpg (US)

weevee - '08 suzuki vstrom dl650
90 day: 61.22 mpg (US)

wrx - '09 Subaru wrx sedan
90 day: 29.8 mpg (US)

Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine - '09 kawasaki ninja 250 se

Connie - '09 kawasaki concours
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
The oil you are looking for is called "TC-W3", and is originally intended for watercraft. It is highly refined, assless and tests verify that it adds lubricity to both diesel and gasoline. There are plenty of websites that discuss the TC-W3 in diesel, and what TC-W3 to diesel fuel ratio is recommended.

I DO NOT WANT TO START A UNICORN thread, but some also attest to adding one ounce of TC-W3 per five gallons of gasoline (a ratio of 1 to 640). There are many reasons why this is recommended and many of the potential concerns (plugged cats, etc.) do not appear to apply. I have tried it (A-B-A-B) and have my own results; however, I don't want to be bashed or have my testing practices questioned -- since that normally results (on various websites) whenever these types of fuel additives are discussed.
I know its a typo, but I want some of that 'assless' oil......lmao no pun intended. :-D
Old 09-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomason2wheels View Post
I know its a typo, but I want some of that 'assless' oil......lmao no pun intended. :-D
Oops. What a crack up (pun intended).
Old 09-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
ron
Master EcoModder

double eagles - '99 Dodge ram slt
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.48 mpg (US)
rmay635703-- what do you mean when you say MMO" has some sharp light materials in it" Please explain I assume you mean organics ,I wont run it if it has say metal
Old 09-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I may have to try that 2 stroker stuff in my old diesel in place of diesel service or the like.

I have observed it increase compression ratio also. I have experienced fuel consumption decreases with MMO as well but that may have been because the motor had problems and it was covering it up.
ahh...... that's what I was looking for, a possible mechanism by which the engine ran better with some sort of top-end lube mixed with the fuel.

It's likely freeing up gunked up rings and ring lands for a better cylinder seal. That would make sense.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mr. White Guy - '97 VW Passat TDI

Blue Thunder - '04 Chevy Aveo 4dr-sedan

cinquecento rossa - '12 Fiat 500 Pop
I wish I had heard about this factor earlier. My injection pump failed, cost me two Grover Clevelands to have it replaced.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
My engine's injection is based on the Bosch pump pretty much the same like in VW's TDi engines. And that works for me like a charm So I'll stay with 2 stroker's oil.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 09-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
I would rather use power service and up the strength, or run diesel purge directly to the enjectors to clean them.

Bio-D is great and should not kill the pump if the tank is very dirty it could loosen gunk and clog the pump killing it assuming the pump is be for the fuel filter. If after the filter gust get a few cheap ones or an inline and change them a few times. Also from what I remenber Bio-d will wet dried orings/seals and switching back to ULSD can reshrink them causing leaks.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Reply  Post New Thread