Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
A method to make your diesel engine running better especialy after serious mileage

I've read recently on polish BMW diesel forum that if you have problem with injectors or fuel pump you should add 0,2 - 0,5 liter of 2 stroke engine oil for 50 liters of diesel fuel. As you know my engine was rebuild, but injectors and fuel pump were the old ones. I thought then, why not to try? I know there are many fuel additives, which should make your car's fuel system clean. From the other side I know that modern diesel fuels are more dry than it was before. Just to allow better fuel atomization.
Anyway after I've filled up Berta's tank and drove about 60 miles (100km) I've added 0.25 liter of 2 stroke engine oil. I've used cheapest 2 stroke engine oil that i could find on a gas station. I've started to drive and after 40-50 miles I've noticed that my engine runs more quietly and smoothly. For now after 120 miles on the mixed fuel tank my engine is quiet and running smoothly.

I haven't noticed any smoke or change in exhaust fumes.

It works for me so I've decided to share my experience with you.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Biodiesel is better, but yes, ashless 2 stroke oil is somewhat lubricious and will provide benefits to a diesel engine.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
Biodiesel in old engines can cause gaskets in your fuel pump to start leaking. Biodiesel is much more agresive than regular diesel fuel. For example Mietek's (MB W168 CDI) user's manual says that it can run only on the fuel with less than 5% bio part. And my Berta is the good old diesel and I've read that bio fuel additives that should clean your injectors were a common reason for fuel pump to start leaking. Mixol (the 2 stroke engine that I'm using) is a mineral oil that won't harm any gasket made for regular diesel fuel, and it lubricates fuel pump and injectors, so it suits me

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."

Last edited by AndrzejM; 09-20-2012 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
I have heard 2 stroke oil will prevent the diesel injector pump from early failure. My neighbor worked for the school board maintaining the school buses, he was telling me the new fleet of buses they bought was wearing out the pumps fast,
each was going threw 2 to 3 pumps a year, until he started adding 2 stroke oil to the fuel, after that the pumps did not fail, ever. I really should add some to my tank at my next fill.

He told me to use 1 -2 ounces per tank.

Last edited by ecomodded; 09-20-2012 at 04:46 PM..
Old 09-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
I've used 0,2 liter with 55 liters of fuel.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Biodiesel in low concentration will not cause pumps and seals to leak. As little as 1% in the fuel will give more benefit than 2 stroke oil.

I run 100% biodiesel in my Liberty CRD (VM 2.8 CDI), my VW TDI, and my Mercedes 240D (W123) and only had to replace the seals on my VW pump after running straight ULSD diesel, cost less than $100.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The oil you are looking for is called "TC-W3", and is originally intended for watercraft. It is highly refined, assless and tests verify that it adds lubricity to both diesel and gasoline. There are plenty of websites that discuss the TC-W3 in diesel, and what TC-W3 to diesel fuel ratio is recommended.

I DO NOT WANT TO START A UNICORN thread, but some also attest to adding one ounce of TC-W3 per five gallons of gasoline (a ratio of 1 to 640). There are many reasons why this is recommended and many of the potential concerns (plugged cats, etc.) do not appear to apply. I have tried it (A-B-A-B) and have my own results; however, I don't want to be bashed or have my testing practices questioned -- since that normally results (on various websites) whenever these types of fuel additives are discussed.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
Some also attest to adding one ounce of TC-W3 per five gallons of gasoline (a ratio of 1 to 640). There are many reasons why this is recommended and many of the potential concerns (plugged cats, etc.) do not appear to apply. I have tried it (A-B-A-B) and have my own results; however, I don't want to be bashed or have my testing practices questioned -- since that normally results (on various websites) whenever these types of fuel additives are discussed.
Not any different than a little MO once and a while, beyond the potential small pollution implication I don't really understand the bias against top end lube.

Its not like its new or doesn't work, certainly not a unicorn but it also doesn't always increase fe depending on your motor and its design. It generally reduces wear if used at the proper concentration.

It also can allow a motor that is not functioning correctly to run better (as I can attest to) right or wrong its a lot easier than doing the right thing and rebuilding.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Not any different than a little MO once and a while, beyond the potential small pollution implication I don't really understand the bias against top end lube.

Its not like its new or doesn't work, certainly not a unicorn but it also doesn't always increase fe depending on your motor and its design. It generally reduces wear if used at the proper concentration.

It also can allow a motor that is not functioning correctly to run better (as I can attest to) right or wrong its a lot easier than doing the right thing and rebuilding.
I was very surprised to learn that MMO actually reduces lubricity in both gas and diesel applications. My Dad used it when towing his 5th wheel and believed it (just about) paid for itself, while reducing engine wear.

There are numerous and very long threads about TC-W3 on other forums (one well over 50 pages long).

There is a tendency for a few people on this forum to "reward" posts like this with some rather unduly sharp responses. I appreciate your response not being one of those.

Last edited by Beau; 09-21-2012 at 10:39 AM..
Old 09-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
ron
Master EcoModder

double eagles - '99 Dodge ram slt
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.48 mpg (US)
In the 70s we used top oil (marvel mistery Oil) and water injection on a 63 GMC 6cyl 1 ton and water spray(radiator) to keep the temp down when pulling a 35ft travel trailer. my friend still has it, 20 mpg when it runs, original and now beat to --it

Reply  Post New Thread