Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Better injectors for better FE

I have read a bit here and there on various FE oriented sites since we bought the gasser but have not come across anything mentionning injectors.

I don't know if it could make sense for gassers, but diesels benefit a lot from aftermarket injectors.

On most of our manual TDIs, the stock injectors are 0.184 liters per minute with 5 holes. Lots of modders have been installing .205 or even .216 injector nozzles in their quest for performance. An interesting byproduct of this as also been better FE at light throttle. It appears that injectors with bigger holes allow to dump the requested fuel quantity in a shorter period of time than stock injectors, resulting in better effeciency.

The new trend now is to go with 7 holes injectors. These would appear to give even better atomisation of the fuel.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
I agree that better atomization will help provide a more complete burn in the combustion cycle. Now, if you could get an aftermarket injector with the same flow rate but a better spray pattern (read atomization) that would be perfect.

These TDI owners that are swapping out for bigger injectors, what are they doing to tweak the ECU to compensate for the flow rate change?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
You would likely need to compensate by increasing the amount of air that was delivered to the cylinder to get the optimal fuel/air ratio. I'm not sure about diesels, but I'm pretty sure that when you increase the fuel/air ratio, it's also a good idea to tweak the spark timings and cams. I know that diesels have glow plugs and not spark plugs, but I would assume you would need to compensate similarly, where possible.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
In diesels we don't absolutely need to compensate (up to a certain point) as our cars are designed to run lean and are cold when running lean. By default they are very underfueled so we can add some more fuel until the engine runs rich and you start seeing black smoke out the exhaust and the exhaust gas temperature goes up.

Nonetheless a lot of people will also go with a chip to use custom fuel/boost maps to increase power and control smoke.

What does the ECU do in a gasser when it sees it's running rich? Let more air in or reduce the injected quantity?

The key here is that you can get your fuel injected in a shorter period of time with bigger holes which has the potential to be more efficient (inject all of the IQ at the right time). Now it's up to you to keep a light foot if you're shooting for FE.

The better atomization part is a no brainer.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 01-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Warning : This post may not be 100% correct, but the principal is close.

Diesels benefit from injectors in 2 ways
1) better spray pattern
2) higher flow (more fuel injected near the optimal point for effectively increased timing)

Gasoline cars
1) Better spray pattern
2) SI (sequential injection) attempts to fire injectors only while air is flowing through intake manifold (mostly economy, no power because the pulses are far to long at WOT to restrict injection to the Intake cycle)
Check out the Megasquirt Site for great info on this.
3) (BIG MAYBE) smaller injectors on NON SI motor for better effective spray pattern.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 01-31-2008, 12:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
IMHO vw uses the stock injectors because of noise and vibration concerns, in addition to engine life. i hate it when i run over my crankshaft.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Turbo gas guzzler

grocery getter - '03 Mitsu Evolution
90 day: 17.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCO2 View Post
You would likely need to compensate by increasing the amount of air that was delivered to the cylinder to get the optimal fuel/air ratio.
most commonly you can use things that decrease the airflow signal to the computer. for eco guys, this is actually beneficial because a side effect is usually higher timing, which is nice.

not to high-jack, but I do have one of these "mystical" items for sale. Its a SAFC-II for those who care.

Reply  Post New Thread