Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Events & Meet-ups
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
(Midwest) MREA Energy Fair - June 18-20 2010

The biggest energy fair in the midwest will be June 18-20, 2010 in Custer, Wisconsin. (more or less the middle of the state)

The show features 200 workshops, a clean energy car show, keynote speakers, food, and more than enough other things to keep you busy for a three-day-weekend!

I will be showing off the Electro-Metro as part of the car show. I imagine Ryland will have his CommutaCar there as well. (He has every year I have been there so far!) Other cool eco-vehicles last year included a Meyers Motors NMG, a Vectrix, and an electric tractor.

Also, I will be presenting "How to Build an Electric Car" as one of the workshops on both Saturday AND Sunday.

It's a great event that draws in the crowds from all over the country.

See details at:
Midwest Renewable Energy Fair

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
My electric car has been getting alot of use around town but last year I realized that the trailer I had was not good for long drives, it fish tails over 50mph and has a tire that is about to fly appart... so unless these issues are fixed I will be without my electric car at the fair this year, but with luck (and a week or so of vacation) I'll have my electric motorcycle to a point that I can bring it then I'll have that there!
Either way, I'll be there for sure, all 3 days and a few days before hand to help set up, it will be the 19th year that I've gone and I tend to learn at least a few new things every year and of course always have a great time.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
EV test pilot

S10 - '95 Chevy S10

It's this weekend!

Be there or be square!!!!

I'll have BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR DVDs for sale!!!

My YouTube Videos
Old 06-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
The alternative auto area is dirrectely to the left of the front gate again this year, I made it a tad bit bigger as someone put me in charge of putting the boarders up for it.
two electric motorcycles will be showing up, not sure on the number of electric cars, hybrids, bio-diesel including Organic Vally's traveling Bio-diesel trailer.
I'm not sure how much land this event covers, but it is BIG, two wind turbines that are up year round, they have a new building with new class room space and a solar installer lab and two training roofs.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Mmmm I forgot about this... Gonna have to see if I can go!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
EV test pilot

S10 - '95 Chevy S10

I knew the 2010 MREA Energy Fair would be a big success from the moment I finally pulled out of the big traffic jam outside of Madison, Wisconsin, and was passed by a group of guys in a VW TDI, all smiling, pointing at my electric car and motorcycle, and smiling and waving.

I wasn't off to the best start.
The night before, I was up to at least Midnight working on burning, printing, and packaging my BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR instructional DVDs. The next day, general work obligations kept me from leaving when I wanted to, and when I finally was on the road traffic came to a dead stop.

Now keep in mind that I am driving a Chevy S-10 Pickup truck.
With the 2.2L, 4-cylinder engine.
Towing a ton of Electric Geo Metro.
With an electric motorcycle in the bed.
Oh, and I don't have a radiator fan on the truck...
And still have the grill-block from the winter.

I thought it was a bit odd that my coolant temperature gauge started going up. I always figured that with how oversized most radiators are, the only time I would ever need a radiator fan is on a hot summer day, stuck in a traffic jam, towing a heavy load...

Oh, right. That's exactly what I was doing.
Since the traffic was completely stopped anyways, I hopped out, and with one quick snip of a zip-tie, my grill-block was gone.
Back inside the truck, I plugged in the power connection for the ELECTRIC radiator fan that I removed from the Geo Metro and installed in the truck in place of the mechanical "propeller" fan. I use it about once a year. Today was that day.

A couple hours later, I was finally at the Energy Fair. Once I had unloaded and set up all my display, I headed back to the campground. On the way, I saw a Solectria Force getting dropped off for the show. It belongs to one of the tech schools, and had been beautifully restored.

At camp, it rained cats, dogs, and thunderbolts that night. Hard to sleep in a monsoon, but the weather was great the entire rest of the weekend.

Camping at events like that seems to somehow encourage do-it-yourselfers to go full-tilt, such as homebrew setups, or minimalist camping.

The best thing about the energy fair is the people. We had quite a few EcoModders show up. Besides me, Hondo, Ryland, OvalOverload, and Dave Koller were there, as well as a few people who should at least be honorary ecomodders, including Chuck with his modded rear-steer I-5 Elec-Trak, a guy who runs his Geo Tracker on homebrew ethanol, and an electric S-10 builder.

Saturday is always the busiest day of the fair. It was also the first time I gave a REAL presentation on building an electric car.
There I was, in the front of a tent designed to seat 100 people. It was standing room only. Someone told me they thought it was nearly 200 people there. Some folks couldn't get close enough to see or hear me, so they came back to the fair on Sunday for the other presentation!

I am not a professional speaker. Nope. Not at all. That many people staring at me, expecting me to be a professional EXPERT did give me a bit of stage-fright. So that's the first thing I told them - that it was just a bit nerve-racking to be up there, and that I was NOT AN EXPERT. What I was is just a regular guy who decided to do something a little different.

Luckily, that's exactly who they wanted there that day. I launched into my stories of Left-Turn-Only Test Drives, Electric Motor Scrounging, and my notorious appearance before Judge Stern for the speeding ticket, all while getting through the steps of a practical EV conversion.

I also wore my Open ReVolt t-shirt, (Well, one of several I have had made.) to help sell people on the idea of open sour projects, home-brew can-do, and making the project affordable. To help spread the word, I gave my buddy Ryland a silver-on-black shirt.

Later, an amazing amount of people told me how much they enjoyed my presentation. Several folks said that it was the most-well attended workshop of the fair!

I was also selling the very first copies of the BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR instructional videos. They sold out VERY fast, and I quickly had a waiting list for more.

Another highlight of the day was going to a test drive in a Wheego Whip
(Thanks Jimbo!) This Electric Smart Car look-alike was zippy and fun. I drove a few miles around Custer at 35 miles per hour without using a drop of gas. The headroom in the car is great! (I'm 6'0) and the bucket seats were very comfortable. At the end of the day, the Wheego was literally plugged into a windmill to recharge. How's THAT for point of use clean energy!?

Another idea that came up during the day was for a vehicle workshop next year. Several people said how much they liked my car because of the "hands-on" and "DIY" approach. I had also joked about how knowing what I know now, I could maybe convert a motorcycle to electric in a three-day weekend. So here's the idea: For next year - build an EV in a weekend. A motorcycle would be very do-able, and a car could be done with proper preparation. We would need some donations, and some labor help, but I think it could be done.

Just imagine the signs - Friday Noon: Pulling the Engine, Saturday 2PM: Installing Batteries, Sunday 5 PM: Driving Away.
We could even auction the finished vehicle off as a fund-raiser!

Sunday is usually the quietest day of the fair - meaning I only talked to 5000 people... I did a second BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR presentation, this time with a bit fewer people there.

I also did interviews with several camera crews, including two from broadcast TV, Channel 7 and Channel 9, both from Wausau, Wisconsin. Although both were full-length interviews with me and lots of video of my car, the only news story I could find had just a brief shot of me leaning over the car (I'm wearing a purple t-shirt) and an extreme close-up of my bad wiring!

The return trip from a long weekend event like this is always a tiring one. Once again, I hit traffic jams (at 11 at night!) due to road construction, but I finally made it back home, and slept soundly knowing that I was doing my part to try to make the world a little better.

Thanks to everyone who showed up, volunteered, presented, exhibited, and in any other way participated to make the 2010 MREA Energy Fair such a success!

PS: Looks like I am also becoming the "Go-To Guy" for jumpstarting at other peoples cars at car shows. My friend Swee was showing off his veggie oil car all week-end. It has a trunk light, which killed his battery. Unfortunately, it turned out his jumpercables were bad. Once we got a good pair, his 5-cylinder diesel started right up when jumped from the Electro-Metro.

My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 06-21-2010 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: added video clip
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
blownb310 (06-21-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Awesome report Ben. If you do do a weekend build next year let me know. I'll arrange to be there!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
EV test pilot

S10 - '95 Chevy S10

Also, if anyone has photos of me do my presentation, or just photos of my car at the show, please let me know.

I would be interested in getting a copy.

Thanks,

-Ben

(Dave, I grabbed the two photos you posted. LOL, I do always have my coffee cup with me, don't I!?)

PPS: How many other events can you be at where somebody you have never met before walks past and says "How's your Cougar Controller working?"

My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 06-21-2010 at 02:09 PM..
Old 06-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Once again - Nice job Ben - it WAS the most attended tent show AND I sat in on one that put me to sleep - they missed the LOVE we/you put into our work !!!!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Stage fright? Dig what we did in our hometown:

300AlmostNakedPeople.com

Videos are up on youtube(sorry for the crappy audio quality) at http://youtube.com/studiodphoto

Reply  Post New Thread