Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2021, 06:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Eco Rodder

I’m wondering if you can locate your mirror inside the glass and have zero drag. Here is the California vehicle code addressing mirrors…

VEHICLE CODE - VEH
DIVISION 12. EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES [24000 - 28160] ( Division 12 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

CHAPTER 4. Windshields and Mirrors [26700 - 26712] ( Chapter 4 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.
Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.
(b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle:
(1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver’s view to the rear.
(2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon obstructs the driver’s view to the rear.
(3) A bus or trolley coach.
(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver’s view consists of passengers.

So while it does state you need at least two mirrors and one has to be on the left, could the left mirror be mounted to the top of the door sill INSIDE the glass? Why not? The combination of this mirror and the standard center mounted mirror would surely satisfy the criteria that “to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.” An inside mirror on the right would add even more visibility.

Anyone tried it?

aerohead (10-08-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
In my country, I see fender-mirrors installed on vehicles originally fitted with wing mirrors. Not sure if an internally-mounted mirror would be accepted as roadworthy.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Eco Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
In my country, I see fender-mirrors installed on vehicles originally fitted with wing mirrors. Not sure if an internally-mounted mirror would be accepted as roadworthy.
Yeah, you would probably get pulled over a lot but I don’t think it would technically be illegal (in California anyway).

Here is a link to mirror regs in each US state. Note that some explicitly state “outside” or “exterior” where the vast majority don’t. They use similar language regarding the 200’ so I’m wondering if it’s a snippet of a federal reg.

https://ecomodder.com/wiki/Mirror_Laws_by_State_(U.S.)
Old 10-07-2021, 07:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
There's an interesting one at ULTRA FAST HIGH TEMP 3D Printing at RAPID + TCT 2021 at 11:03 from Nexa3D for the Arcimoto FUV. The front face is knurled.

edit: Almost forgot:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-ls1
Anyone tried it?
ecomodder.com/.../interior-side-veiw-mirrors-22439.html#post315373

ecomodder.com/.../mirror-delete-interior-mirror-options-6008.html#post227912

Last edited by freebeard; 10-07-2021 at 08:02 PM..
Old 10-08-2021, 12:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-ls1 View Post
Note that some explicitly state “outside” or “exterior” where the vast majority don’t. They use similar language regarding the 200’ so I’m wondering if it’s a snippet of a federal reg.
Indeed. Even though this loophole may be easy to justify there, I'm sure it would be a PITA to explain it everytime the police pulls someone over for the absence of exterior mirrors.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,113 Times in 982 Posts
Pretty much every time I have been pulled over in CALI (a lot, used to live there) I have done something else to attract the officers attention in detrimental way. The odd stuff on the vehicle has not caused attention until close inspection by the officer. I don't know how you can prevent being pulled over to explain something that is odd but legal.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
inside mirror

Without an 'outside' vantage point, there would be a region along the flanks, to the rear of the vehicle that would be 'invisible' to the driver.
You could potentially initiate a lane change maneuver while a vehicle behind you has already begun an overtaking maneuver in your blind spot.
I'm pretty certain that this is the reason why fresnel lens and camera systems have their 'source' vision beyond the outer surface of the doors.
The California State Driver's Training program admonished us high school students to never surprise another motorist, nor be surprised by another motorist.
Everyone needed a minimum three-seconds warning of driver 'intent' before ever turning the steering wheel in traffic.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I believe that John Edgar would encourage testing be done to determine which mirror would be most aerodynamic. It seems his idea of using a throttle stop device to see the effect each mirror would have on speed would be an appropriate way to go.

Otherwise, it is pure speculation which mirror is best.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
it is pure speculation which mirror is best
Sometimes what could be the best aerodynamically-wise ends up being a PITA when it comes to practicality of its fitment.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead
Without an 'outside' vantage point, there would be a region along the flanks, to the rear of the vehicle that would be 'invisible' to the driver.
That's down to inadequate taper in plan. Example: Arcimoto FUV.

Reply  Post New Thread