Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2015, 01:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
If you don't like winter, move to Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, or the southern part of Texas, then you can have fun b**ching about humidity, mosquitos, and alligators :-)
Arizona here. No humidity, mosquitoes, or alligators.

A Fargo man was arrested for clearing snow from his property with a flamethrower.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I have yet to see an article discussing theories that predict some benefits of having a higher global temperature. Surely climate change doesn't mean that all of the changes are bad for humanity.
Well, for starters, nobody's going to have to move to Arizona to retire anymore. They'll already have the warm, dry climate at home.

And when Short Charlie is old enough to get deployed to the desert... he won't have as long a plane flight as I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 05-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post

A Fargo man was arrested for clearing snow from his property with a flamethrower.
Very true, you get all those benefits AND you don't have to deal nearly as much grass, trees or even most forms of wildlife!

Hopefully all those benefits make up for the fact that the state will be completely out of water soon.

No place is perfect, I live in Illinois and I wonder why at times, we have flat cornfields, tornados, cold winters, high taxes and crooked politicians, but I'm still happy.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
.....nobody's going to have to move to Arizona to retire anymore. They'll already have the warm, dry climate at home.
In the past, to this Puget Sounder, I thought the best climate would be northern California(adored Susanville). As climate warmed & California dried out, I figured maybe southern Oregon would be nice. With our past decades of winter warming & this last winter being our warmest, the best climate is.......right here!!! However, we also just had a winter with the least snow. Our reservoirs have a good chance of emptying in the next 5 months, hopefully not as bad as in California.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Rattlesnakes and cactus, though. With summer heat that'll strike you dead, and a noticable lack of water. (OK, in the lower elevation parts: Flagstaff and the Kaibab Plateau were quite nice.)
Old 05-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong View Post
In the past, to this Puget Sounder, I thought the best climate would be northern California(adored Susanville). As climate warmed & California dried out, I figured maybe southern Oregon would be nice. With our past decades of winter warming & this last winter being our warmest, the best climate is.......right here!!! However, we also just had a winter with the least snow. Our reservoirs have a good chance of emptying in the next 5 months, hopefully not as bad as in California.
I've always wondered why the Army Corps of Engineers spills most of the water held back by the dams on the North Santiam river the day after Labor day every year. If they had held on to most of it last Sept, they would still have plenty available for hydro power and recreation this summer.

I don't think they even generate electricity with the spill; they just dump it to the Willamette -> Columbia -> Ocean.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 05-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
The bad drought here which was at its worse from april 2013 to summer 2014 has been completely erased. All the lakes I am aware of are not just full they are at their max.
So much for man made up globull warming making everything dryer.
Last September nature showed it true randomness and made up for the 3 years of very low rain fall in about 3 weeks, then from may 3rd to may 6 this year we got almost another years worth of rain in 3 nights.
If this is climate change, I say bring it.

California will get theirs too. Right now everything is dry and there isn't enough water for people and they blame global warming (forget that they haven't attempted to expand their water infostructure in generation and just now its catching up to them, no, its all globull warmings fault). Then in the next year or two when it rains and they are being flooded out they will be blaming it all on global warming.
Had this happened 30 years ago they would be blaming it all on the hole in the o-zone.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've always wondered why the Army Corps of Engineers spills most of the water held back by the dams on the North Santiam river the day after Labor day every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The bad drought here which was at its worse from april 2013 to summer 2014 has been completely erased. All the lakes I am aware of are not just full they are at their max.
So much for man made up globull warming making everything dryer.
Last September nature showed it true randomness and made up for the 3 years of very low rain fall in about 3 weeks, then from may 3rd to may 6 this year we got almost another years worth of rain in 3 nights.
If this is climate change, I say bring it.

California will get theirs too. Right now everything is dry......
redpoint.......oil pan answers your question. Similar to some of our dams, your dams hold water back to get us through the dry months of late June, July, August & early September. Now if the dry months aren't particularly dry & the dams are pretty full, some water has to be dumped, with an idea that anticipated early fall rains might be able to fill reservoirs quicker than emergency dumping can lower nearly full waters. The problem is AGW(increasing energy in the bio-sphere; not necessarily drier climate in all areas, at all times) is causing our dry periods to be longer & start of rainy periods less predictable. Along the North American west coast, it does appear that the extra energy AGW is driving the undulating whipping pineapple express jet stream further north, hopefully NOT for a increasing periods of time, as it has been for the last 20 or 30 years.

But, it does appear glacier, Greenland & Antarctic land ice decreases ARE in a continuum of loss. Considering the sun has been in a TSI low level(& more accurately the SSI) for 9(+?) years (including a TSI 100 year record low for 3+ years), little science information can show soon coming ice increases. But a return of the sun to normal radiation levels would send ice losses to greater disappearances.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong View Post
The problem is AGW(increasing energy in the bio-sphere; not necessarily drier climate in all areas, at all times) is causing our dry periods to be longer & start of rainy periods less predictable.
And the rain, when it does come, will be heavier and cause more flooding - witness the one decent storm system the West Coast saw this year. Likewise the snow, when it hits places like the northeast, will be heavier, there will be more & more powerful tornados in the Midwest,,,
Old 05-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
And the rain, when it does come, will be heavier and cause more flooding - witness the one decent storm system the West Coast saw this year. Likewise the snow, when it hits places like the northeast, will be heavier, there will be more & more powerful tornados in the Midwest,,,
Yes, our Pacific Northwest winter rains seem to be a trace more than normal, but may NOT make up for our increasingly longer & drier period. Snows appear to increase(altho this past Pacific west coast winter snows from California to British Columbia were almost no snows). Because of AGW warming & snow melting, increased snows are NOT providing increased ices, as glaciers & Greenland & Antarctic land ices, decrease.

Last edited by litesong; 05-10-2015 at 07:05 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread