Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
AeroGuy

Outback 14 - '14 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 23.1 mpg (US)
Most efficient space heater?

Long story short: Raw sewage sprayed into the basement and one area it hit had ALL of the space heaters for my place. I find them sometimes at my job when people move out of their homes, so I had a nice collection.

Anyways, I had the oil-filled radiator type, ceramic disk with blower, a safety one for the kid's room (thin element, large shell with a blower), etc.

Now I have to replace them for at least 2 rooms this winter, which type is the most effecient at heating a room?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Heat Lamp would be the way to go because it's not heating the air it's heating whatever it's pointed at, otherwise anything that radiates is going to be more efficient then heating the air.
Otherwise the watts to BTU output is going to be about the same on all of them.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
It was explained to me that a watt is a watt is a watt.

I like to use those yellow halogen work lights with the glass removed as space heaters- I get the light as a byproduct thus the regular room lighting can stay off. Obviously such a set-up needs to be treated with respect.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
This one looks better than many, because it has a 750 watt setting in addition to the common 1500 watt setting. And it has a digital timer for auto shut off, which must be safer too (overnight): TVH500

[EDIT: and this one uses less power, is far cheaper, tho without as many cool features and probably with half the heating area abilities: http://www.vornadocentral.com/produc...o-vh101-heater
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 10-14-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Old 10-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
we only use oil filled radiator type, i usually have it on the low 600w setting. anything with a fan will be "wasting" energy to move air.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EER ratings = BTU Output / electrical Watt Input
The higher the EER the more BTUs per Watt of input = more efficient

Coefficient of Performance ( COP ) is a unitless measure of the efficiency = Watt of heat output / watt of electricity input

COP * 3.412 = EER

SEER uses an adjustment to the EER to try to account for operating differences throughout the year and different conditions... Common rule of thumb about SEER * 0.875 = EER... but the specifics of conditions and design can and do deviate from this.

A COP of 1 = 1 Watt of heat per 1 watt of applied electrical energy ... This would also be an EER of 3.412 ... generally about a SEER of ~3.9 ... this would be any resistive heating element based unit that converts 100% of the applied electrical energy input into heat energy output ... in practice it's never 100% ... but that is the best any resistive heating unit can do.

On the other hand ... many heat pumps are able to move heat from one place to another far more efficiently ... Getting a heat pump with a SEER above 4.0 is not very hard to do at all ... 12 and above is also not particularly difficult.

A Heat pump that is operating with a SEER of about 12 will move 4x as much heat energy from point A to point B than that resistive heating element based space heater can.

So ... if you are looking for a more energy efficient form of space heating ... and you don't mind a bit of a project ... you could try to convert a window type AC unit which is a heat pump often with SEERs of 10 , 12 or better ... and just switch it around ... heat pumped into the room ... instead of pumped out of the room ... the crucial part of that would be the sealing up of the interface so you don't have cold air leaking back in ... and of course be mindful that the hot side will get hot ... etc.

Also keep in mind ... it most likely is not the design intended purpose of the units ... so performance will likely not = the advertised summer SEER ... and you may have to include a few design adjustments of your own.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamIan For This Useful Post:
Cobb (10-15-2012), eco_generator (10-13-2012), PaleMelanesian (10-19-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I suspect that a heat pump is out of the question as a space heater, but if it's not then it is by far your best option.
Like Frank I use work lights to heat from time to time as well because the heat from them is radiant heat, it's not heating the air, heating air to heat objects is dumb!
With the smoking ban in bars here there are a number of bars that have out side areas with a few infrared shop heaters on timers, you give the timer a twist and it lights up orange, warming the people up who are next to them, they are still breathing in cold air, but it feels like you are standing in front of a fire, your face and hand get toasty, objects get warm but the air hardly heats up, to do the same thing heating air you would need a pretty good sized furnace.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
AeroGuy

Wow, great ideas! The mini-split ductless heat pump deals would be awesome, but way out of my price range for a rental I thought the fan on some of them would be a relative waste of energy. I will probably search for one that actually maintains a certain temperature and controls itself. We dealt with run-away heat with the room heaters before, especially after the furnace kicks on in the morning.

Never even considered that an airconditioner is an efficient heat pump... wow. Will have to think about that one, I have a few extra window units sitting in my basement (the part that didn't get sprayed with poo water)
Old 10-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
AeroGuy

On a side note: I am going to be attacking my place aggresively this year for energy management. Any chance someone is going to set up an overall list of things to start checking/changing for efficiency? Kind of like the eco-driving tips. I have been searching around and have happened across different areas to look at, sealing up ducts, attic work, insulating fridge, etc. But it would be nice to have them all in one place, then it's just a matter of searching for the topics that look doable.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_generator View Post
On a side note: I am going to be attacking my place aggresively this year for energy management. Any chance someone is going to set up an overall list of things to start checking/changing for efficiency? Kind of like the eco-driving tips. I have been searching around and have happened across different areas to look at, sealing up ducts, attic work, insulating fridge, etc. But it would be nice to have them all in one place, then it's just a matter of searching for the topics that look doable.
The sister site to ecomodder.com is Ecofriendly DIY Home Projects It will help you.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread