Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Here is a quote from that site i linked to earlier from a guy going by the name Graham :

UNSW Australia's solar-electric car Sunswift eVe added a "tail" like this for their successful FIA record attempt for fastest electric vehicle over 500km. The car was not designed to set records, but rather as a semi-practical road car primarily built for the 2013 World Solar Challenge rally across Australia. My student Simon Ambrose did the CFD work to design the tail, the original car had a "chopped" back to fit lights and a registration plate and the air had a bit of a downwash component to it leaving the body. Simon's design added about 0.4m to the car but largely eliminated the downwash and reduced the overall drag of the vehicle by about 5%. I've attached a couple of pictures. You can see that in some ways it was a pretty crude addition but it definitely did the job.

We ran a dual-level tunnel under the whole car, otherwise yes indeed we'd have had a whopping amount of downforce - great for a racing car, terrible for a solar car.
"

And here is a link to the thread again :Oldsmobile Aerotech?

They brought up a good question concerning the bottom curvature on the Olds Aerotech tail. The long tailed version had a angle much greater than what is supposed to be ideal.

It's a really great aero forum there, and worth a look.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
solar car, sunswift