Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2021, 05:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerospyder - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.98 mpg (US)

Simme - '83 IFA Simson Suhl S51
Motorcycle
90 day: 76.59 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
The other issue is power steered cars have teensy steering wheels which make parking lots almost impossible for non gorillas.
I'm probably the opposite of a "gorilla", I'm 158 cm or 5'2" tall, have little upper body strength and even I can park my car with deactivated power steering.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-20-2021, 06:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Motorcycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I agree with you, even though I can't even remember when was the most recent time I drove something not fitted with power-steering.
I have turned off power steering in my car as a test once.
Since it's electro-hydraulic I just had to pull the fuse of the power steering pump, wich was easy.
Steering was a little heavy when standing still, but not any different when driving any reasonable speed.

Did the same in my previous car, wich was FWD and had electronic power steering, wasn't an issue with that one either for parking.
However the amount of torque-steer was too excessive to keep it depowered.
So I went back to the numb feeling of electronic power steering.

At our airfield I sometimes have to drive a few heavier vehicles (5-7 ton roughly) without power steering and with pneumatic brakes.
That's not hard either, however the steering wheel is massive and the steering is geared different.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahnschleicher View Post
At our airfield I sometimes have to drive a few heavier vehicles (5-7 ton roughly) without power steering and with pneumatic brakes.
Pneumatic brakes are interesting, yet my experience with them is much limited.

Quote:
That's not hard either, however the steering wheel is massive and the steering is geared different.
Just look at something like this:

Power steering was not so common back then, so their steering wheels are quite massive compared to most modern trucks with a more car-like steering wheel.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Motorcycle
Quote:
Pneumatic brakes are interesting, yet my experience with them is much limited.

Just look at something like this:

Power steering was not so common back then, so their steering wheels are quite massive compared to most modern trucks with a more car-like steering wheel.
Pneumatic brakes have a terrible brake feeling, at least the ancient ones in that vehicle do.
As for power steering, that vehicle is probably not at all representative of what most of us drive as a private vehicle.
And yes, the steering wheel in said heavy vehicle is massive to give you leverage.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
As for power steering, that vehicle is probably not at all representative of what most of us drive as a private vehicle.
Of course. Well, considering power-steering is often added to motorhomes built around an ancient Mercedes-Benz truck or bus frame, I guess it would be easier to find a hen's tooth than someone driving something that big without power steering as a private vehicle.

Quote:
And yes, the steering wheel in said heavy vehicle is massive to give you leverage.
Even when we look at smaller vehicles, such as the VW Beetle/Käfer, it had a bigger steering wheel than most newer vehicles, which by the way are often bigger than a Beetle.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Motorcycle
Quote:
Of course. Well, considering power-steering is often added to motorhomes built around an ancient Mercedes-Benz truck or bus frame, I guess it would be easier to find a hen's tooth than someone driving something that big without power steering as a private vehicle.

Even when we look at smaller vehicles, such as the VW Beetle/Käfer, it had a bigger steering wheel than most newer vehicles, which by the way are often bigger than a Beetle.
Indeed, however to get back to depowering the steering rack of what is most likely an economy vehicle, I would argue it's safe to say that no unusual amount of strength is required here.
Either that or I'm somehow surprisingly strong, especialy given the fact most people in this forum will have quite a bit of height and weight on me.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts

My Notchback had 145s in front and stock 165s in back, and a four-wheel alignment done at a street rod shop. It could dance like a ballerina. Hammer down in first and back off and it would throw the rear end another 1/8th turn.

Opposite was the 1957 Beetle with a 10" dune buggy wheel and F60-15s on the front. But I was working in construction back then.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Honda started adding electric power steering to their vehicles around 2000, depending on the car. The 2000 Insight was the first one with an electric rack (to my knowledge) which had virtually zero impact on economy. The 2002 Civic Si got a similar rack, as did the 2003 Civic hybrid.

This isn't an electro-hydraulic system, but rather, it's a small electric motor bolted right to the rack, that adds torque in the same direction you turn the wheel.

A properly maintained Insight will get ~100mpg @ 50mph. A 2003 Civic hybrid might get upwards of 60mpg @ 50mph. The Si you may get mid 30's.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
I would argue it's safe to say that no unusual amount of strength is required here.
Either that or I'm somehow surprisingly strong, especialy given the fact most people in this forum will have quite a bit of height and weight on me.
I have never been so athletic, yet when I was 8y.o. it was already quite easy for me to steer an Opel Corsa B with non-assisted steering.

Reply  Post New Thread