Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Decimilia Help Needed

I have the Arduino Decimilia board with the AtMega168 chip. From the IDE,I compiled and uploaded MPGuino version 700 with no problems.
I have a Hantronix HDM16216 Display. Powering up or resetting brings up the backlight in a steady state. Am using digital pin 9 for backlight control. There is a steady stream of pulses there. They don't change when pressing the middle button. Nothing appears on the screen. Pressing on the right and left buttons a few time appears to lockup the program according to the led's on the bd.
I enabled debug mode in the sketch. Sketch size was then too large. Then disabled all debug stuff but the serial online message. Sketch size was just under allowed. The online message appeared at the serial port either With the IDE serial monitor or Hyper Terminal.
I built the parallel ISP cable just in case the bootloader was corrupted. Reprogrammed the bootloader in the chip with no apparent problem and then uploaded the sketch again. Problems still the same. Wanted to program chip without the bootloader using the parallel ISP cable. Couldn't seem to get the preferences right to use the parallel ISP cable. I've got a couple more 168 chips coming if that's the problem. Otherwise I'm at a loss as to whats wrong.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Test Tool Engr.

Red Rocket - '02 Honda Civic LX Sedan
90 day: 33.57 mpg (US)

Bronze Bucket - '98 Toyota Corolla VE
90 day: 34.97 mpg (US)

Silver Bullet - '06 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 31.58 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
I have the Arduino Decimilia board with the AtMega168 chip. From the IDE,I compiled and uploaded MPGuino version 700 with no problems.
I have a Hantronix HDM16216 Display. Powering up or resetting brings up the backlight in a steady state. Am using digital pin 9 for backlight control. There is a steady stream of pulses there. They don't change when pressing the middle button. Nothing appears on the screen. Pressing on the right and left buttons a few time appears to lockup the program according to the led's on the bd.
I enabled debug mode in the sketch. Sketch size was then too large. Then disabled all debug stuff but the serial online message. Sketch size was just under allowed. The online message appeared at the serial port either With the IDE serial monitor or Hyper Terminal.
I built the parallel ISP cable just in case the bootloader was corrupted. Reprogrammed the bootloader in the chip with no apparent problem and then uploaded the sketch again. Problems still the same. Wanted to program chip without the bootloader using the parallel ISP cable. Couldn't seem to get the preferences right to use the parallel ISP cable. I've got a couple more 168 chips coming if that's the problem. Otherwise I'm at a loss as to whats wrong.
Have you checked that the pins going to the LCD aren't being flipped? The diagram in the main thread shows pin #1 on the right-hand side (the LCD in the drawing has the connections on the top of the LCD), but the Hantronix may have them on the bottom, depending on which one you have. (Go by the labels, not by the picture directly)

Just to clarify:
pin 4 of Diecimila = pin 4 of LCD
pin 5 of Diecimila = pin 6 of LCD
pin 6 of Diecimila = pin 3 of LCD
pin 7 of Diecimila = pin 11 of LCD
pin 8 of Diecimila = pin 12 of LCD
pin 12 of Diecimila = pin 13 of LCD
pin 13 of Diecimila = pin 14 of LCD
GND pin of Diecimila = pins 1,5,16 of LCD

If those are all right, then we'll need to figure something else out...
Old 09-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the reply. Everything looks good on the decimilia to LCD pinout.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Test Tool Engr.

Red Rocket - '02 Honda Civic LX Sedan
90 day: 33.57 mpg (US)

Bronze Bucket - '98 Toyota Corolla VE
90 day: 34.97 mpg (US)

Silver Bullet - '06 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 31.58 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Thanks for the reply. Everything looks good on the decimilia to LCD pinout.
Okay, after re-reading your post, I must've misinterpreted something.
You aren't getting any text on the LCD, correct? No "OpenGauge" or "MPGuino v0.70"?
One thing you can do is to move the debug println to other spots in the code to see if it's getting to that part of the code. If you're still seeing it come out at the end of setup(), start moving it into various places loop() and see how it goes. If you still see it at the end of setup() though and you're not seeing anything on the LCD, that'd seem to indicate that the LCD itself may have issues...
Old 09-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Scoob - '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE
90 day: 25.28 mpg (US)
^^ I agree that it seems like its the LCD and not the MPGuino, but you can still test the debug to serial. However, keep in mind that when you first boot up the 'guino, you're going to be in the variable editor. This is why the LED isn't acting as it would be expected to in the bulk of the code. Left and right are moving the cursor and center is changing numbers or selecting OK or XX.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Okay, Got 2 new Atmega168 chips and 2 new New Haven NHD-0216K 1Z-FL-YBW displays. Programmed bootloader and program into chips. Still no display. Hooked up one of the New Haven displays..voila! Works! Either I have a fried Hantronix display or there is some difference between the Hantronix and New Haven displays that I don't know about. Now I have to interface it into my vehicle. Whats the best way to bench test with simulated VSS & INJ? I have I have signal gens & stuff. BTW,How do I get it back to setup mode? Thanks Guys.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Scoob - '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE
90 day: 25.28 mpg (US)
Setup mode is all 3 buttons at once. For simulated signals, since you have so many chips, you might be able to build another 'duino to run DCB's signal generator code.... search this forum for it.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
It sounds a lot like the way mine was acting when the brightness control transistor was leeching voltage.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...g-up-4761.html

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Reply  Post New Thread