Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
It sounds like you have to up the OLED power consumption if you add a filter too, and oled is still twice as much as lcd. transflective FTW IMHO, use the sunlight when it is available, use the backlight when it isn't. Low power, Low cost, great readibility in all conditions.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

'91 CRX - '91 Honda CRX DX
90 day: 34.91 mpg (US)
30mA sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Yes, it's more expensive. If cost is your primary concern, an LCD is your best option. But if you start considering other qualities such as nighttime readability, transflective displays can be less than desirable.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

transflective has problems with nighttime readability?!? I've never had any problem.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

It's the black text on a bright background.
The reason it takes so long for your eyes to adapt to dark conditions is level of neurotransmitters in your eyes. When you sit in the dark, the nerves aren't firing so the neurotransmitters build up, making your eyes more sensitive to light - better able to see in the dark. This is also why going from a dark room to daylight hurts your eyes - your eyes' heightened sensitivity makes everything seem much brighter.
Anyway, if you look at something significantly brighter than your surroundings, it depletes the neurotransmitters in that area of your retina, leaving an area of reduced sensitivity. This phenomena is commonly known as a sun spot, but can be triggered by not only the sun, but other relatively bright lights such as a camera flash. The key is that brightness is relative. Shining a cheap flashlight in somebody's eyes at night can leave them with a sun spot, while they may not even notice that the light is switched on during the day time.
Getting back to the topic at hand, looking at your LCD backlight isn't going to instantly give you a sun spot in your vision. It will however leave an area of reduced sensitivity. The brighter it is and longer you look at it, the greater the reduction. This means that when you look back up at the dark nighttime road, you won't be able to see as well in that key center area of your vision.
Reducing the display's bright area reduces the impact on your nighttime vision. The simplest way to do that is to use a transmissive type display... Lit text on a black background.
Transmissive LCDs have daytime readability issues due to their design and VFDs have power consumption issues. OLED displays have neither of those issues, and therefor should an the ideal solution.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

OLEDs DO have daytime problems I thought. Have you first hand experience with an oled display in daylight? Is this a solution looking for a problem?

I keep the transflective backlight (and the dash lights) on its lowest setting, really haven't had a problem. It doesn't need to be bright to be readable in the dark.
Edit, and readibility wise, dark on light is most ergonomic.

Last edited by dcb; 06-05-2011 at 07:36 PM..
Old 06-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
OLEDs DO have daytime problems I thought.
The images on the above product listing seem to indicate otherwise. No, I have not tried the display for my self, though I'm probably going to order a Newhaven graphic model here momentarily, so I'll let you know.
Keep in mind that video is of a touch screen (touch panels, and multiple layers in general, cause optical issues) phone (limited battery power) from 2 years ago (plenty of time for development on a relatively new technology) using a full color screen - a lower resolution monochrome display means you have bigger, brighter pixels and less wasted space between them compared to a high res full color screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
dark on light is most ergonomic.
Right, but we aren't talking about e-readers here, we're talking about automotive instrumentation. How many instrument clusters have you seen that have a dark-on-light pattern at night?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

If you are willing to test it I will certainly listen.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

One thing that wasn't clear was if that oled can work with a 4 wire interface.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
My head unit is OLED. I use it on the simplest setting, no animated visuals. It's good day and night, so that the BG is black and the lettering is lit, it's the LED buttons that is too bright. Good in daylight too, better than my old LCD head unit screen.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Old 06-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Play time. ^_^

Reply  Post New Thread