Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2015, 12:35 AM   #121 (permalink)
0.29 Cd and decreasing

Red Rocket - '90 honda CRX HF
Team Honda
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 53.46 mpg (US)
sticker adds mpg right?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-09-2015, 04:51 AM   #122 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Not sure yet since I haven't done any A-B-A testing, but it has definitely helped cut down on the amount of tailgaters in my rear view mirror! Apparently the giant ecomodder decal was too subtle to get the message across, but they all get the message now.

They see the new decal and around they go!

I'm at 77.0 and climbing on the FCD on this tank at 295 miles, so it isn't hurting

Last edited by cowmeat; 06-09-2015 at 07:11 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cowmeat For This Useful Post:
tvbd56 (06-10-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #123 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
The sticker probably hurts mpg. More weight. Hehehe.

Have you removed your spare tire and Jack? It removes 20lbs from the rear. I'll be removing my passenger seat this week as well. More storage space!

Old 06-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #124 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick Hybrids
Well . . . . now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure I have an embarrassing amount of crap in the back. I think the spare and jack are still in there, along with my air compressor, grid charger, battery tender, maybe the original side view mirrors are still in there, I dunno. I think there may be some Fix a flat, random tools and parts I have removed and swapped out from Turtle, I'm not sure to be honest.

Guess I need to check it out, for all I know I need to remove about 50 pounds of junk out of there!

Old 06-10-2015, 04:44 AM   #125 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

EGR Valve confusion

The link you provided for the Honda Accord Standard T EGR Valve. Is there really any difference inside the EGR Valves between the accord and the insight? I would assume since the accord is not a hybrid with the heavy NOx purges and leanburn ability it wouldn't be idle to mess with that ? Same reason a normal aftermarket catalytic converter wouldn't work.

Random note for anyone not interested in paying OEM price for catalytic converters, I have found Eastern Catalytic Eco III works well since it is designed with twice the amount of Rhodium to help on vehicles with high mileage, low emissions, or higher than normal emissions (like G1 insights). Best price I have seen for them is through Rockauto. I tried a Bosal New York/Catalytic Converter from autozone and it was not a direct fit and lost 18 Mpg vs bad OEM lol it was returned .

I was considering the Airtex/Wells for $156.79 (on Rockauto's website), however it is only like $50 more for OEM. I would rather save the money though with the one you linked if there really isn't any differences that us insight drivers should be concerned about.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:13 AM   #126 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick Hybrids
Quote:
The link you provided for the Honda Accord Standard T EGR Valve. Is there really any difference inside the EGR Valves between the accord and the insight? I would assume since the accord is not a hybrid with the heavy NOx purges and leanburn ability it wouldn't be idle to mess with that ? Same reason a normal aftermarket catalytic converter wouldn't work.
I'd say at least half of all the remaining G1 Insights on the road today have an Accord EGR valve installed.
I don't know how many others use the V6 version like I have, but it's cheaper, fits correctly, comes with the oem style gasket, and has been on my car for over two months and is functioning perfectly.

Last edited by cowmeat; 06-10-2015 at 05:29 AM..
Old 06-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #127 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick Hybrids
Quote:
Well . . . . now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure I have an embarrassing amount of crap in the back. I think the spare and jack are still in there, along with my air compressor, grid charger, battery tender, maybe the original side view mirrors are still in there, I dunno. I think there may be some Fix a flat, random tools and parts I have removed and swapped out from Turtle, I'm not sure to be honest.
Yeah, it's pretty full! This is what I found when I pulled up the lid this morning:

Couldn't see the bottom layer, so there's even more unidentified at the bottom, plus I'm sure the spare and jack are down there below it all.

***edit 6-15-15***
Yep, the spare and jack were underneath all that mess. Ended up pulling about 50 pounds worth of crap out of the back!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	17922  

Last edited by cowmeat; 06-15-2015 at 05:22 PM..
Old 06-15-2015, 11:14 PM   #128 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Yeah, it's pretty full! This is what I found when I pulled up the lid this morning:

Couldn't see the bottom layer, so there's even more unidentified at the bottom, plus I'm sure the spare and jack are down there below it all.

***edit 6-15-15***
Yep, the spare and jack were underneath all that mess. Ended up pulling about 50 pounds worth of crap out of the back!

Yep, I had 50lbs of crap in mine as well, not including the spare tire and jack that weigh 20lbs combined. I figure i lost about 100lbs when i removed it all.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:20 AM   #129 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well I got the 2 Eastern Catalytic converters in and they are running great. I went ahead and got the EGR valve you suggested and popped that in too. Sucks only got $115 selling the cores, but hey its better than nothing I guess. It is running much smoother I don't feel any back pressure that was making it to where I could not move flooring the throttle.

Then it happened...just my luck too. I got IMA 1449 code on my new Ultra gauge I need to build a grid charger, but out of funds for this and still haven't figured out how to make one. More reading/learning still needed in electronics ugh never enough time
Old 06-16-2015, 07:37 AM   #130 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick Hybrids
Well, all of our batteries are getting old! 1449 code comes and goes, your battery is telling you to ease up. There are some sub-codes for that, but thankfully I've never had to figure out what they are. You can search that code over at IC and there are a lot of threads about it.

Pull the negative ground on your 12V and see if it comes back, but I would definitely use that clutch switch a lot until you get it grid charged!

Reply  Post New Thread