Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2020, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Interesting thread

I'm a delivery driver doing mostly Highway run and I was in the same basic predicament TDI Jetta 5-speed or Toyota Prius.

I ended up going TDI and having fun modifying it..

It's a daily driver often putting on 200 to 300 miles a day.

Finding a good Guru is not too terribly difficult they work on my car for me when needed but it's not very often typically only every hundred thousand miles or so
..

Gasoline is cheaper than diesel but if you run W 85 it's basically free .... w85 is waste motor oil cut with 15% regular unleaded gas centrifuge to Micron / submicron level .

One big thing I did like about the Prius was that it is somewhat quieter than the Jetta but I will be doing some sound insulating soon ... of course that may be partially neutralized by my soon-to-be free flowing down pipe and straight through exhaust!

__________________
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 5 sp, 210K miles, Stock.....for now!
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 07-23-2020, 10:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinchville1 View Post
Interesting thread

I'm a delivery driver doing mostly Highway run and I was in the same basic predicament TDI Jetta 5-speed or Toyota Prius.

I ended up going TDI and having fun modifying it..

It's a daily driver often putting on 200 to 300 miles a day.

Finding a good Guru is not too terribly difficult they work on my car for me when needed but it's not very often typically only every hundred thousand miles or so
..

Gasoline is cheaper than diesel but if you run W 85 it's basically free .... w85 is waste motor oil cut with 15% regular unleaded gas centrifuge to Micron / submicron level .

One big thing I did like about the Prius was that it is somewhat quieter than the Jetta but I will be doing some sound insulating soon ... of course that may be partially neutralized by my soon-to-be free flowing down pipe and straight through exhaust!
Wow....my predicament is a bit different since I have the 01M but close enough in a way. Thanks for the data. I have no interest in modifying mine since I have much faster cars but the thought of modding sure is interesting.

I am running redline C+ in the trans. Some quasi anecdotal data shows that is bees knees for these transmissions even as opposed to redline D4. C+ kept the awful transmission in my Caravan alive forever.

I love the sarcastic sound of the Jetta especially at idle. On the highway I can hardly hear it. This is getting good. I need some popcorn.


Last edited by ukiltmybrutha; 07-23-2020 at 10:20 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,299

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 343
Thanked 652 Times in 485 Posts
I owned the exact car you have,

While a Prius may or may not need a battery in the near future
The Jetta can need lots of parts,
Ours needed (in a short span)
1. Glow Plugs
2. Timing Belt
3. Full Wheelends with brakes (Rusted out)
4. Injection Pump
5. Transmission started surging On the highway at 120,000
6. Glovebox failed and needed replacement

We cut our losses and sold the car shortly after we suspected a transmission replacement in our near future.

I agree with others to set a budget run It into the ground limiting how much maintenance you are willing to pay for.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I owned the exact car you have,

While a Prius may or may not need a battery in the near future
The Jetta can need lots of parts,
Ours needed (in a short span)
1. Glow Plugs
2. Timing Belt
3. Full Wheelends with brakes (Rusted out)
4. Injection Pump
5. Transmission started surging On the highway at 120,000
6. Glovebox failed and needed replacement

We cut our losses and sold the car shortly after we suspected a transmission replacement in our near future.

I agree with others to set a budget run It into the ground limiting how much maintenance you are willing to pay for.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 8,128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 884 Times in 784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiltmybrutha View Post
When I say "timing belt" I meant the whole ordeal/experience of changing it.
It's really far from being the most pleasant task, but it's not so bad as trying to change a "sealed" chain while overhauling some engines.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
It's really far from being the most pleasant task, but it's not so bad as trying to change a "sealed" chain while overhauling some engines.
Yeah! Lol. Just burned out with working on cars....and getting old.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 8,128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 884 Times in 784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiltmybrutha View Post
Yeah! Lol. Just burned out with working on cars....and getting old.
Nowadays I am prefering small-displacement utilitarian motorcycles due to their purchase cost and the mechanicals more easily accessible, but runner's knees prevent me from getting one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason
 
JSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 1,436

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)

Dieselgate - '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
90 day: 38.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 64
Thanked 805 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiltmybrutha View Post
Yeah! Lol. Just burned out with working on cars....and getting old.
I hear you there. In the not to distant past I did almost all the work on my vehicles because I couldn't afford to pay a mechanic. Now that my finances have improved wasting a nice weekend wrenching on a car has lost it's appeal. I still do standard maintenance but I'm not to keen on troubleshooting and tracing mystery issues.

The position switch recently stopped working on the campervan so it is stuck on defrost and feet. I could spend hours (maybe days) tracing vacuum lines but I think I'll take it to the local independent shop instead and let them have that fun.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 8,128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 884 Times in 784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
In the not to distant past I did almost all the work on my vehicles because I couldn't afford to pay a mechanic. Now that my finances have improved wasting a nice weekend wrenching on a car has lost it's appeal. I still do standard maintenance but I'm not to keen on troubleshooting and tracing mystery issues.
Sure it's a PITA to deal with some "unplanned" maintenance while you would rather spend your time on something else, and certain procedures are quite exhausting. But depending on the problem, I'd still rather do it by myself instead of paying for someone else to do, even if I would end up doing some makeshift either for budget savings or due to not having patience to do the proper procedure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
skyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 1,303

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Thanks: 618
Thanked 475 Times in 308 Posts
Diesel guy responding
I have had 3 MKIV with 5 speeds.
I'd say, since you have jetta in hand, roll with it. at $500 it does not owe you much.
Feel free to ask questions here or send me a PM if you'd rather not deal with the "Enthusiasts at TDIclub forums.
Here's an email I got from rockauto clearance sale the other day, and all MKIV suspension bits are the same.
https://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehicle...l=en&html=true

I know you don't want to wrench, but if you needed brakes for example, those prices are crazy.

__________________




2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com