Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
This tank I ran 1,041.2 miles. My second goal was to get a tank over 30 mpg. 34.292 gallons to fill up the White Whale equates to 30.36 mpg. Woohoo!!
It may be a big tank, but the mileage is impressive for a truck

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
I had to chuckle a little last night when a commerical for the new Buick Lacrosse came on advertising best in-class fuel economy (30mpg highway), YOU CAN GO 500 MILES ON A TANK!

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Taffy R18 - '11 Honda Civic LX Sedan
90 day: 34.26 mpg (US)

Diamond K24 - '13 Honda CR-V EX AWD
90 day: 28.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
I had to chuckle a little last night when a commerical for the new Buick Lacrosse came on advertising best in-class fuel economy (30mpg highway), YOU CAN GO 500 MILES ON A TANK!
Yes, but the Lacrosse's tank is about half yours (18.4 gallons).
Old 06-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Congratulations!!

Am looking forward to a higher average number on your fuel log as time and miles accumulate. Always stuck in my craw that a modded Ferd 7.3 had the best numbers here. My average has slowly declined as the miles lessened and I have no longer been leaving the city limits this past year (don't drop below 20 mpg in town until summer temps called for idle time otherwise avoided; still nearly at 30-mph average). A CTD is the natural high mpg pickup.

Guess at some point we'll have to break them all out (the different trucks/owners) into 2WD vs 4WD, stock vs. non-stock, or, city vs. country, and then sub-sets of each still further. On reflection, into personal vs. commercial as well. Then climate and terrain for all of them.

You've achieved a number I know I could match. The reason I bought a CTD was longest life at lowest cost. And then spec'd it for highest FE (as well as learning to drive it to best effect), always looking for others accomplishments to emulate.

We know the total miles, what was the average mph for the tank?

(Any and all details about your truck would be appreciated; tire brand/model plus any deviations from stock. And, how many miles/hours on it as I've heard that even past 100k some CTD's are still climbing in FE?)

Time for pics!

Last edited by slowmover; 06-22-2011 at 01:45 PM..
Old 06-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins
I don't have avg mph data. I don't have a Scangauge (yet) and my gps is having issues. Most of my driving is to/from work. It's 40 miles and takes me around 1 hr 15 min -- so that works out to be 32 mph average.

My truck has just over 80k miles on it. Only the last 10k miles are mine.

Tires are the ones that came on it, size 265/70/17. I think the brand is Scopion Pirelli STRa (or something like that). As far as I know, there's nothing special about them. Someday I'd like to go to LRR tires, and maybe even increase the diameter of the rears, but I just can't justify the cost to myself when the tires are almost brand new. On that last tank I was running 60 psi on the front, 50 psi on the rears. The max sidewall is 80 psi cold, so I've pumped all 4 up to 70 psi for this next tank.

As far as pics go, the truck was bone stock as far as aeromods go except for me taking the wipers off when it's not raining (1 wiper when it is), so there wasn't really anything for you to see. I still had an open bed. Last weekend I made a bed cover out of some discarded plywood and lumber at a construction site I went by (gotta love FREE!!!). I also made a "stealth" upper grill block with some cardboard spray-painted black. I blocked off the whole portion of the grill that's part of the hood. I'll see about posting pics of the bed cover and grill block.

I keep a daily log of my trips to/from work, using the factory installed trip fuel economy. I made 18 trips on the last tank. My first 5 trips on this tank (after the tires, bed cover, & grill block) have averaged 6.5% better than the last tank. If that trend holds, I'll be over 32 mpg on this tank.

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 06-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
For those unfamiliar:

I use the Lie-O-Meter, the overhead factory readout for average mph. Just divide the miles of each tank by the Elapsed Time using a 100-minute clock (where 15" = 25; 30" = 50 , etc). 15:13 e/t = 15:25 iow. 323-miles divided by 15.15 = 21 mph (which would be a slow, sorry average mph for FE). Re-set per fill-up.

The tire change would be worth 1-2 genuine mpg at some point. The PIRELLI Scorpion ATR, an on/off road traction tire is well-rated in the TireRack survey, I wouldn't change it either (though I didn't look to see what other CTD drivers are saying about it where the owner mileage is above 20k). The LRR MICHELIN LTX A/S is a highway rib tire with about zip for offroad traction, but wear like iron. I may get 250k out of the first two sets. Were I to move to snow country I believe I would keep them, but have a dedicated snow tire (as a retired engineer in Edmonton, Alberta uses on his 2WD Canadian hotshotter, the NOKIAN Hakkepeliita LT as his dedicated winter tire. His average -- on a 300k 2007 truck -- is above 22 US mpg.)

I may have to do the "tank mod" (as it is called) to get another 3-gls capacity. Then maybe someday I'd be crazy enough to drive a roundtrip to/from Balmorrhea State Park at a low speed to see if I could net 1k from one tank . . would only have to break 27 that way (that I've done before).

Sure would irritate the hotrodders that "a few of us" can run 1,000-miles on a basically stock truck. Some of 'em are lucky to see 400-miles to a tank, ha!

Last edited by slowmover; 06-22-2011 at 04:48 PM..
Old 06-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Electric Porsche

I have a 6.7 Dodge 3500. Your mileage is most impressive! I typically get 15 to 16 mpg, high is 18.5 on a trip. I don't want to touch anything enginewise, but have thought about rear fender skirts and grill louvers that open when hot. BTW this last December I drove about 300 miles on snow on a trip. The radiator was completely iced over, gotta love the cool running efficiency of a diesel!

A thought I had: I'd think economy would improve if you would plug the motor heater in every day (with a timer so you don't just waste electricity). Any ideas on how much this would help?

Last edited by ExplodingDinosaurs; 06-22-2011 at 05:02 PM..
Old 06-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins
slowmover, that's a good idea about using the hour meter on the in-cab display. Next tank I'll try to reset that. Maybe I'll even do the math to adjust for this tank.

ExplodingDinosaurs, if you're not going to do anything enginewise, you're pretty much left with aero mods, IMO. Your DPF prevents you from doing much on the diving style front, because it requires high exhaust temps, which pretty much means high rpms and little idling. Therefore, you can't keep your rpms low or do much coasting (which can give you a BUNCH of mpg's. You can still look into an aero-cap, a grill block, fender skirts, belly pan, etc. I'm currently working on a aero-cap. If you have a short bed and mine works well, I'll post the plans when I'm done.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

daily transport - '00 vw golf tdi
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 69.33 mpg (US)
Nice job Dave. Impressive for a 3/4 ton truck.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Electric Porsche

With the dpf I've wondered if I'd get the same mileage driving hard, so it doesn't drop down to the 13 mpg regen stage.

I have a long bed, but would enjoy hearing how you do your bed cap.
Quote:
slowmover, that's a good idea about using the hour meter on the in-cab display. Next tank I'll try to reset that. Maybe I'll even do the math to adjust for this tank.

ExplodingDinosaurs, if you're not going to do anything enginewise, you're pretty much left with aero mods, IMO. Your DPF prevents you from doing much on the diving style front, because it requires high exhaust temps, which pretty much means high rpms and little idling. Therefore, you can't keep your rpms low or do much coasting (which can give you a BUNCH of mpg's. You can still look into an aero-cap, a grill block, fender skirts, belly pan, etc. I'm currently working on a aero-cap. If you have a short bed and mine works well, I'll post the plans when I'm done.