Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
Emergency items. Ideas on making them lighter.

So I've been thinking about this for a while because even though I know I should just take out my spare tire and all that stuff, I am a bit of a worst case scenario person because the one time I've had a flat tire there was no way of repairing it because the tire and wheel were both damaged. I was quite happy I had the spare with me. It's a long story but let's just say things would have been pretty bad if I didn't have the spare tire.

So here are my ideas for this first since the spare is pretty heavy, at least 20lbs probably a bit more, I am thinking about getting a lightweight 14" alloy wheel with the lightest/best RR tire I can find and using that as a spare. I figure that if I can get a 14" wheel that weighs ~10lbs I'll probably have a small weight savings if I get a low profile tire that won't weigh too much.

I'll also look around for a lighter jack and tire iron as well and for some lighter jumper cables too.

The other advantage to the alloy wheel is that it should make it easier to store things in the spare tire well.

I also keep a small emergency kit in my car that I usually change out for different seasons. The max weight of it is about 12 lbs so it's not a big deal plus I use some of the stuff in it for impromptu hiking or fishing stops anyway. I still need to find a nice collapsible fishing pole....

Anyway what do you think of the lighter spare idea worthwhile or not really?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Worth it in dollars? Not unless you can score the stuff for nearly free.

Worth it in saved fuel? Probably won't be able to detect the fe increase- you'd just have to take it on faith that it's a little better. Or let the placebo effect do the work.

I've done both- run with the spare and without. Depends on the situation. On the Tempo I've run old junkyard tires 'til the cords show or they blow; in that case I need a good spare and tools on board. But on the vehicles with tires I bought new, I am comfortable with my "flats history" i.e. the odds of an issue are super low, such that I'll run with no spare then. I like to run with no spare when I'm utilizing ALL the trunk space- wow is the trunk ever bigger w/o the spare and the tools.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Agree that if you bought your tires new and don't run them into the ground you probably shouldn't have a problem. I carry a tire goo kit that weighs a few pounds but includes a bottle of goo as well as a little inflator/pump. As well as the usual- jumper cables, tow strap, crescent wrench, screw driver, reflecto-triangle, (shovel & wool blanket in winter) etc. all in an old Army medic bag. I have no concept of weight, but it is probably lighter than my 15" steel wheel/tire combo.

I would also like to add that a AAA membership card is lighter than all those, but you'd likely have to wait an hour to get help

But yes, no matter what you do, the 12 static pounds are not going to make a difference unless you're really serious about drag racing.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Pontiac
I've seen some pretty cheap rims so that's not an issue the tire would be the biggest expense. I figure I could gain a good amount of trunk space with a different setup as well. It is incredible the difference in space w/o the spare.

I know I may not see a huge difference but any weight reduction adds up and because I do a lot of city driving that does help some for me. I might look into it a little more if I can find some decent prices on a wheel and tire and see what the weight difference is.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Do an experiment w/o the spare to see if you will get a noticeable mpg increase, or whatever other benefit you might want.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
I've seen some pretty cheap rims so that's not an issue the tire would be the biggest expense. I figure I could gain a good amount of trunk space with a different setup as well. It is incredible the difference in space w/o the spare.

I know I may not see a huge difference but any weight reduction adds up and because I do a lot of city driving that does help some for me. I might look into it a little more if I can find some decent prices on a wheel and tire and see what the weight difference is.
If you look around you should be able to get space saver wheels/tyres for free because all modern cars have them but there's little demand for them as they can't be used as road wheels. Most wreckers will be happy to be rid of them.

You're very unlikely to see any MPG gains from removing any single small component. But remember modern cars got as heavy as they are just a few pounds at a time, they can get lighter using the same principle.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
I'd reduce unsprung weight before I bothered with everything else. I haven't even touched the unsprung weight yet. I can't justify spending $800 on the wheels I want, and I haven't been able to find them used. Plus, I already have alloy wheels. If I were running steel, that might give me the extra push to buy some lighter ones.

I remove any heavy objects that I don't need in the car, but I don't give much effort to reducing weight since it doesn't make a noticeable impact on FE. The spare tire will stay; I've probably used them a dozen times in my 14 years driving. Jumper cables and tow straps are more to help others, which I've done many times. Those will stay. An Ultimate Frisbee and some golf discs will stay; they don't take up much room or weight, and you never know when you might get a chance to toss the 'bee.

There was a thread on an Acura forum where a guy went nuts removing everything he possibly could to reduce weight. Stripped the interior, removed the back seats, drove with half a tank of fuel, and even ordered brand new tires and had the tread shaved 50% just to save weight. He did it to experience the performance of the lightweight vehicle, not to save fuel. He'd have been better off buying a Lotus Elise.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 07-30-2014 at 10:48 PM..
Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Pontiac
I already have lighter wheels on my car so until I need new tires I won't be reducing that any further.

I have a space saver type wheel in there now but it's kinda heavy, unless you're thinking of a different kind?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
I have a space saver type wheel in there now but it's kinda heavy, unless you're thinking of a different kind?
I think you'll find that the little 155 (or so) wide tyre on a steel space saver is going to be lighter than an affordable alloy.

I personally don't carry spares on private use street cars. I've had the odd screw in a tyre, but they've always held air, at least enough to get to the next tyre shop. Such a puncture usually goes flat overnight so you can use your foot pump/ compressor at home, take it to a tyre shop and it's less of a time waste than swapping on a spare and getting the flat fixed later.

Besides which, if your wheels were last fitted by a mechanic, chances are you won't get able to get the lugs undone without a breaker bar anyway.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Winsight - '06 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 72.19 mpg (US)
There are lots of cars in the junkyard with lighter spare tire/wheels in aluminum.

I drive a first generation dodge neon and have done some crazy/tame things for weight reduction and weighed almost everything. These are all 5x100, is that what your Sunfire is? I saved about 9lbs going to a Sebring 15" aluminum spare. If you do grab one, there are two different kinds though. One is a little heavier, I can't remember if it was distinguishable from the lighter one or not. Just by a pound or two. All were only $12ish from the junkyard. Don't let them charge you the aluminum wheel price for the spare tire price. Luckily they are painted black.

OEM first gen spare, new condition 22lbs 11.3oz
OEM late 90s sebring convertible aluminum 15"x4" 5x100 spare new condition 13lbs 6.1oz
OEM late 90s sebring convertible aluminum 15"x4" 5x100 spare new condition w/o tire 9lbs 11.2oz
OEM early second gen 14x4" aluminum spare w/ lightly used tire 16lbs 6.4oz

There is also an aluminum one in some PT cruisers, although it seems uncommon.

You'll be able to see the marks left over from machining, it won't be perfectly smooth like the steel version.

Similar to these marks.

As a benefit it's also taller than the original to closer match the diameter of the other tires.

You can also shed some weight with the jack stand. The neon one is ~5lbs.

RX-7 Aluminum Jack stand 3lbs 2.8oz
PT Cruiser (and more?) Jack stand 2lbs 15.6oz

Pretty crazy that the PT steel jack stand was lighter! It does have a lot of holes in it. These are also cheap as well, but I think most yards remove them to prevent people jacking up cars and hurting themselves.

There are plenty of aluminum spares for all makes/models/sizes out there. Just takes some hunting in person or searching on the internet. Mainly on forums involving performance, a lot of guys run aluminum spare wheels with skinnies on a budget.

Last edited by fusion210; 07-30-2014 at 11:49 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread