Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2015, 05:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
My new FR-S!

Well it's new to me, but not actually new haha.

Quick facts: 2013, Ignition Silver, was originally a Colorado car, 28k on the clock. PO added track pipe (I'm adding a muffler to it, it makes me too scared to hit the gas for fear of cops), absurdly dark tint that I can't see out of at night (this is getting replaced), and red felt over the dash. Paid a Benz dealer 18.5k, I think they screwed up their ads so they were getting worried they couldn't sell it.

I really don't like driving this nearly as much as my MR-S, but it's quite a practical car. Can't have everything.

On the way home I did a little testing with the onboard mpg computer. Cruise control 65mph is ~37-38mpg. Pulse and glide engine on actually doesn't do that much better, I was averaging around 39-40. Still, it's something.

As far as engine off goes, the good ole turn key start doesn't complain at all about bump starting, which is good.

The rolling resistance on this car is very low. It just keeps on rolling and rolling, I used the brake a lot more than usual while driving in the city and I always downshift when slowing down. Aerodynamics is decent, but I'm hoping a front lip will help since my freeway coasting time is so-so.

The engine is interesting. It's got a relatively high rev range and big cams, but the port + direct injector setup breathes some life into the low end. The engine REALLY doesn't like low rpm, the computer says only 40 something mpg when you put it in 5th or 6th and roll around at 25-30mph. Once you're over 1500 the thermal efficiency is much better, and the computer reads 60-70 mpg. P&G in 3rd or 4th gear is definitely the way to go at lower speed.

I'm getting an openflash tablet to try to tweak some more mpgs out of this car. Looking at the stock fueling maps on ft86club.com that people have posted, one thing that jumps out at me is that fuel enrichment starts very early. I noticed on the freeway that P&G was getting only 38mpg at first, after lightening my foot it went up. I'm going to play with the throttle mapping a little to make it easier to control this, and lean out the mid-load range to stoichiometric.

I checked MAP and fuel flow rate on Torque briefly on a cold engine idling, it idles at 20-21 psi vacuum (better than the 1ZZ's 23-24psi, good job Subaru/Toyota!), and was drinking a little under 14cc/min or 0.22 gal/hour at 700rpm idle, cold oil. I forgot to log the warm engine idle today, but I'm hoping it beats 0.1 gal/hour per liter displacement at 680rpm, which is what the 1ZZ dinosaur achieved at 680rpm idle, but this doesn't look very promising. I'm going to try lowering the idle speed with the OFT.

Tomorrow I'll log the car on the freeway to see what the load % looks like, which will give me an idea of where I want to have the car go into lean burn. The internal EGR will make tuning lean burn a little harder, I recall someone on ft86club saying they tried and couldn't go past 1.1 lambda before the engine stumbled. Exhaust VVT timing is going to need tweaking to get the most out of this.

Other than that I'll probably just do a lithium battery for weight reduction, and LEDs to reduce electrical power requirement to help with that low idle. Seeing how I failed to break 40mpg today on the freeway, I guess the first goal is a 45mpg tank, going by the computer. I did already blend this tank up to 22% ethanol, so that might have been the culprit. The goal is to mix 87 with E85 to get cheaper tanks of high octane gas, an automatic ~5% savings in fuel cost.

Last edited by serialk11r; 06-02-2015 at 05:24 AM..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
changzuki (06-14-2015), elhigh (06-02-2015), gizzardgulpe (07-15-2015), jedi_sol (06-02-2015), MetroMPG (06-02-2015), pgfpro (06-02-2015), UltArc (06-13-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-02-2015, 06:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Not red tho.

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Old 06-02-2015, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
Not red tho.
Hah, I would've loved a red one, but buying used there's not much choice.

Fear not, it will be painted with matte clear plastidip to get the satin metallic look, which is just as badass as red.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
What brake pedal?

Silver Streak-5M - '05 Toyota Corolla S
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.41 mpg (US)
Wow, great deal & nice looking car.

Does it have the annoying high idle when cold like the 1ZZ engine?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
RPM
EcoModding Lurker

JF - '97 Honda Civic 1.5i LS VTEC (EK3)
Team Honda
90 day: 59.68 mpg (US)
Congratulations! Love this car and will be interested in knowing how well it responds to hypermiling.
Can you please elaborate on why you don't like driving it quite as much as the MR-S?
Old 06-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Congrats on the new car. I've always loved the look of the FR-S. It'll be interesting to see what an ecomodder can do with it.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
I really don't like driving this nearly as much as my MR-S, but it's quite a practical car. Can't have everything.
You know you're an MR-S owner when an FR-S is described as "quite practical".

What's up with the MR-S?

Also: how does one remove tint? That's the main reason I don't like it -- because of the night time outward vision issue.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 06-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
Can you please elaborate on why you don't like driving it quite as much as the MR-S?
I don't like how the rear end is very light, it's way too tail happy at the back. What made the MR-S fun was that you could give it quite a bit of gas when turning since the rear end stuck to the road like glue, whereas this car's rear tires are always screeching even though I'm not trying to do that. The car is also quite a bit bigger so it doesn't have that exciting go-kart feel to it. Also, I know this sounds funny because I'm comparing to a 1ZZ but the engine sounds...pretty bad lol. Shifter is direct linkage to transmission but it doesn't feel that great either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Congrats on the new car. I've always loved the look of the FR-S. It'll be interesting to see what an ecomodder can do with it.
I'm anticipating that I'll switch cars in a few years (I miss having a midengined car so much) so I'm going to leave it mostly stock :/ If I have time though, I'm going to try the active rectifier alternator mod on a spare alternator if I can find one for cheap. That should help with a low idle speed. I'm hoping adjusting the fueling will give pretty big gains though, a lot of owners have noticed improvement in fuel economy just setting more cells to stoichiometric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You know you're an MR-S owner when an FR-S is described as "quite practical".

What's up with the MR-S?

Also: how does one remove tint? That's the main reason I don't like it -- because of the night time outward vision issue.
It is practical! The trunk is a bit "shallow" in terms of height but it's quite deep length wise. It's also possible to cram 4 dudes into the car in a pinch.

The 1ZZ lost a rod on the freeway! I think the previous owner wasn't aware of the oil burning issue and oil starvation damaged some stuff.

Tint supposedly comes off with a hair dryer or steamer pretty easily, a Youtube video convinced me to try it.

Last edited by serialk11r; 06-02-2015 at 03:01 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
RPM (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Doh. Bummer about the MR-S. I missed that if you posted about it.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 06-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
RPM
EcoModding Lurker

JF - '97 Honda Civic 1.5i LS VTEC (EK3)
Team Honda
90 day: 59.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I don't like how the rear end is very light, it's way too tail happy at the back. What made the MR-S fun was that you could give it quite a bit of gas when turning since the rear end stuck to the road like glue, whereas this car's rear tires are always screeching even though I'm not trying to do that. The car is also quite a bit bigger so it doesn't have that exciting go-kart feel to it. Also, I know this sounds funny because I'm comparing to a 1ZZ but the engine sounds...pretty bad lol. Shifter is direct linkage to transmission but it doesn't feel that great either.
Thanks, that is some great insight that is hard to get from magazine reviews and the like. In absolute terms the FR-S is pretty small and light, but coming from an MR-S I can see how it would feel quite large and heavy. I am a fan of small, lightweight cars myself. That direct response, the feeling of connectedness… It feels like the car is part of our own body.