Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2023, 11:57 AM   #31 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
I'm a commercial truck driver and I still feel anxious driving!
I would seriously plan on looking for a new line of work unless you are close to retirement. That job is about to go the way of bank tellers (Down by 1/2 in the last 15 years with stagnant wages)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-29-2023, 09:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I would seriously plan on looking for a new line of work unless you are close to retirement. That job is about to go the way of bank tellers (Down by 1/2 in the last 15 years with stagnant wages)
Oh, I've already stopped. Now I clean toilets for a living as I'm too old to get back into construction. I quit driving when I was told that I was getting fewer hours, less pay per hour, and all benefits cut, and told to drive 2 hours per day in my car to get to and come back from the next town where they could still use me, but that commute would be on my own time because in the town I live I no longer had a job. I keep up my commercial license, but that's all.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:28 PM   #33 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Oh, I've already stopped. Now I clean toilets for a living as I'm too old to get back into construction. I quit driving when I was told that I was getting fewer hours, less pay per hour, and all benefits cut, and told to drive 2 hours per day in my car to get to and come back from the next town where they could still use me, but that commute would be on my own time because in the town I live I no longer had a job. I keep up my commercial license, but that's all.
Commercial truck is getting to the point of needing different law and intervention.

If you don’t mind screaming kids bus driving is choose your own hours and uses the commercial license, depending on what kind of janitorial you work it may pay the same with less hours but no real benefits besides time off.

My father broke his back and worked part time bus usually driving the short bus and taking “trips” half his life.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 11:04 PM   #34 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Commercial truck is getting to the point of needing different law and intervention.

If you don’t mind screaming kids bus driving is choose your own hours and uses the commercial license, depending on what kind of janitorial you work it may pay the same with less hours but no real benefits besides time off.

My father broke his back and worked part time bus usually driving the short bus and taking “trips” half his life.
Well, being a school bus driver starts at $16 per hour right now, which is just above the state's minimum wage, with zero benefits. It's a possibility if I end up needing it. But I don't think I'll drive bus any time soon. I'd be paid more to work at McDonald's, plus get benefits.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:39 AM   #35 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
It would be nice to have cheap new cars even if they were small, underpowered, opposite of luxurious, etc.
Something just like this for instance? I guess you know the Opel Corsa B was the most effective contender to the VW Beetle in Mexico, ultimately being its replacement for a while there.

Reply  Post New Thread