Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lightbulb My power bill

So my rental property is sitting vacant. I had to pay a deposit since I do not have a year history paying with this company and they do not do credit checks.

Its 822 sq ft all electric. I have just 4 smoke alarms running and 7 23 watt electrical 100 watt equivalent cf lamps on 24/7.

What do you think?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img007.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	16562  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
That's $31.86 for 137 kWh in 49 days, an average of 2.80 kWh a day, at $19.51 for a month. That's actually quite a low usage per day, and the rate seems a bit high.

My electric use is quite frugal, 2.26 kWh per day the last billing cycle, and 2.48 kWh a day a year ago. I generally use two 7 watt lights in the evenings, and a 2 1/2 watt light that stays on all night on the other side of the house, so I can see when I get up at night. I leave on four 7 watt and two 2 1/2 watt lights if I'm gone for awhile. I'd like to use timers but they cost too much.

I personally think seven 23 watt bulbs is too much electricity. Is there a fridge, freezer, a/c, furnace or any other appliance that is on? Modern frigerators use quite a bit of electricity.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nope, nothing else. All other brakers are flipped off. I did this to let the unit "advertise" itself as vacant with all the blinds open so you can see in the windows. Hell, you cant help but look at its soo freakin bright.

Where I currently live we used like 900 kw or less a month and its also all electric. 100 bucks or less power bill.

Otherwise, as a reverse vampire I have 11 watt cf lamps in my current home and leave 3 on 24/7.

Maybe I can get NeilBlanchard to look at this and comment since he seems to have his electrical bill figured out and can set a watch to it.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Interesting that nowhere on the bill does it actually state the cost per Kwh of power. That used to be standard. I see what they are doing for you is breaking down all the costs into different categories but never showing that direct amount. From the numbers that johnlvs2run determined that equates to about 23 cents per kwh. Very high.
JJ
Old 12-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If we subtract out the listed taxes the cost comes to $26.78 for the bill which makes the price about 19.5 cents per kwh. That's about a 16% tax surcharge on top of the utility rate. Both still seem quite high. I wonder if your deposit has been taxed along with your actual bill. I lived in southern Illinois years ago and noticed that after all fees and actual costs had been calculated that the city was also taxing me. The bad thing was that they were actually charging tax on not only the bill, but on any other taxes that had been paid. Hence double taxation. When I called them on it they actually had the nerve to tell me that legally they could do that. Just because something is legal doesn't make it right.
JJ
Old 12-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Good point. It use to have the summer and winter price listing on the right side. We also had a chance to buy x amount of renewable energy, but it was more.

I tried to figure out my bill, but like Ive said else where. It seems they charge a service fee that is pro rated to your kw usage on top of your kw usage, so its hard to estimate it. If I got an EV Id get a second meter or line for a level 2 charger and Id use it for welding. Kind of pointless to do that if the ev will end up costing me as much as a gasser.

On a side note, I never saw a difference in plugging in my 4 kilowatt phev kit. Maybe I used soo much it didnt matter?

I did measure the whole house draw once and its like 400 watts idle with the cable boxes using the most power.

Reply  Post New Thread