Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pepper - '87 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 30.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieg View Post
Uh... all diesels are direct injected.
incorrect sir!

My mercedes and most are indirect injection. It involves a prechamber with a pintle ball to pre mix the fuel before the combustion chamber

Most modern diesels are Direct injection and 100% veggie oil can foul and injector and cause it to drip fuel thus melting a hole in the piston

I know a little about diesel engines and bosch mechanical fuel injection.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
'07 Saab 9-3 Sedan 2.0T S

I see what you were saying. Swirl chamber vs. direct injection. The extra turbulence in the swirl chamber helps with the veggie oil fouling.

Running E85 in a non-flex fuel '07 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
I know these diesels are called "IDI diesiels" .. for "indirect injection", and yes the benzes LOVE veggie.. well mine sure does...

Yeah the newer diesels have much higher pressures in the injection system, and yes they can run veggie but arnt recomended.. the computers dont help either.. i tent fo stick to 93 and older models .. however the 7.3 power strokes are pretty safe for the most part up till recent models, got a "veggie buddy" that has a 1999 7.3 on veggie.. says it works great..

Best motors for veggie hands down are the 5cylinder benzes and then the Cat motors in the pre94 dodge trucks.. there the 12 valve inline piston injection pump motors.. the same as the benzes.. inline injection pumps are the best.. they are far more durable and last way longer than the rotary ones... and thats veggie or not.. just a better design.

I also ran veggie on my 93 ford 7.3 IDI non turbo van.. 200k and the Injection pump has is acting up.. could rebuild it but the body is going, not to mention a few other things.. think im going to scrap it now.. got many many thousand happy veggie miles out of her..

I am in the first steps of converting my 6.5 turbo chevy after the areoCRX mods are done.

But about the mythbusters thing , id love to see how fast they could have gotten up to on that bike.. that was insane how easy he was peddling VS without the semi.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
DI diesels being more refined engines than IDI diesels they can't run extensively and reliably on fuel that has properties much different than dino diesel. My understanding of it is that the big problem with straight veggie is viscosity and carbon deposits. People have been able to circumvent this problem, at least on the TDI, by running it off a heated tank and run straight diesel purge or the like through the pump now and then and you should be good to go.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
DI diesels being more refined engines than IDI diesels they can't run extensively and reliably on fuel that has properties much different than dino diesel. My understanding of it is that the big problem with straight veggie is viscosity and carbon deposits. People have been able to circumvent this problem, at least on the TDI, by running it off a heated tank and run straight diesel purge or the like through the pump now and then and you should be good to go.
Yeah all my veggie systems are fully heated and started and shut down on dino.. if you don't do that you kill stuff quickly..

Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieg View Post
Uh... all diesels are direct injected.
Umm NO Ever hear of IDI (InDirect Injection) pre electronics "ALL" diesels were InDirect Injected

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Reply  Post New Thread