Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Is it just me or is VW desecrating the beetle?

Maybe it is just me, but using the beetle to sell SUVs and go around womanizing seems like a new low for VW. (in reference to certain new commercials)

I absolutely loved the early diesels, the rabbit/golf handles awesomely for the buck, Air cooled reliable efficient machines dating waaay back, electronic fuel injection in my squareback back in the 70s, even the TDI has it's own following. Cool little Ghias. Cars that FLOAT?!? And run the baja 1000, etc. etc.

They have a tremendous history and lineage, I really hope they pull it together soon, as I hope "detroit" will also.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
electronic fuel injection in my squareback back in the 70s,
You had one of these that worked? That is amazing.

Did you do much work on you VWs, or just drive them? Or perhaps the haze of time has made you forget...

The people I knew with a squareback had to cut a hole in the engine hatch cover of the car in the back so that they could put a carburetor on it. The air filter housing came up in the back of the car. All this was because when the FI "computer" got flakey the parts to fix it were huge money in those days.

Then there were the studs for the exhaust header tubes that broke off in the head when you had to change the muffler.. A zero to 60 time of what, 19 seconds? Spark plugs you change by feeling around, since you cannot see them. Wheels that were mounted with bolts not studs, so you had to hold the wheel up with one hand while moving the hub around with the other hand, and then the third hand put the bolts in. That superb windshield washer system that was powered by air from the spare tire, and which would slowly leak all the air out of the spare. And the lack of any significant heat in winter seperated the teutonic men from the boys. It was almost enough to make me swear off wearing leather shorts.

Some masochist has made a slide show to help those poor souls that had to work on these things relive the nightmares. Not for the faint of heart. There is not even room for a dead cat in the engine compartment, since every nook, cranny, and orfice is filled with the filth that collects all over the engine in deep, crusty deposits.

http://www.vwtypethree.com/myvws/rebuild/slide1.html

No, I'm not partial to VWs. Why do you ask?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
0 to 60 times is your concern? You aint no ecomodder if it is!

Questions about what I've wrenched on or how clear my memory is? That is way out of line. You haven't a clue. No car is everything to everyone, so just chill the hell out spaz.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoyoda View Post
[...]Wheels that were mounted with bolts not studs, so you had to hold the wheel up with one hand while moving the hub around with the other hand, and then the third hand put the bolts in.[...]
Just put the wheel on with the holes aligned and put the bolts in. How hard can that be? My 99 has bolts too.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 06-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post

Questions about what I've wrenched on or how clear my memory is? That is way out of line. You haven't a clue. No car is everything to everyone, so just chill the hell out spaz.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! No need to take a tone.

One thing that comes through very clearly in these forums is that few things come through as clearly as you'd like. Ttoyoda's comment struck me as funny and tongue-in-cheek. I doubt he was attacking you or your actual memory.

We're all trying to be friends here.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
Just put the wheel on with the holes aligned and put the bolts in. How hard can that be? My 99 has bolts too.
You're a funny guy. I've got a '45 Farmall whose wheels mount with studs, and the offside wheel has a 165lb counterweight built into it. What I wouldn't give for stud mounting at that point... Thank God those tires can take a lot of abuse.

Just my two bits.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2012 Golf TDI - '12 Volkswagen Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 45.51 mpg (US)
The festiva has wheel bolts...

BP-turbo 93 Festiva (long gone)
1/4 mile - 12.50@111.5
Best MPG - 36.8
Old 06-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
The hole in the center of the wheel was bigger than the center of the hub. So the wheel would not center in those days. You had to hold it up.

[QUOTE]
Quote:

So you do not dispute my technical points on the car. Good! And your memory of the car is clear! Double plus good! And you probably never worked on it, or you would just plainly say so. Either that, or you just had a flashback to the time you TRIED to work on it and that brought about your little moment of rage. So either way, thanks for confirming everything I said. Pity you choose to interpret everything personally, it is not only unprofessional, it will lead you early heart failure. Which would be a pity, because you do have technical skills. I suggest you look for help in correcting that.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Novice

Okay, I'm done. If it were my forum, I'd ask you to take it outside, but whatever.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Come on now, I know VWs and their mechanical issues can be polarizing. I've not had good experiences having worked in a shop for a bit, but I know plenty of people who've never had issues and love their cars.

Personally, my CRX is being worked on more often than not, eating at my wallet, and being troublesome. Now, that's my fault and not honda's, but nevertheless, I still love the car.

Reply  Post New Thread