Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Undecided - '96 Honda Civic HX
Last 3: 38.01 mpg (US)
Need advice, hope this is the right section.

About to take my first long trip in my 96 Civic HX tomorrow. From SF bay area to LA area.
My s2000 would get 37-39 mpg with the hardtop and all-season tires, so hoping the HX will do better, or whats the point? lol

Anyway, car is a 5spd and has no mods yet. Although I'm swapping out the shocks and springs today for Koni Yellows and Ground Controls, because I already had them from my CRX.

As far as tires on this car, on the rear, I have 185/65/14 Falken 912 (I like these, although dont know if they are any good for MPG)
Falken ZE-912 (HP) Tires for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire Sales

In the front I have Dunlop SP60 185/65/14 - I hate these tires. They have no grip and I doubt they are any good for MPG.
Dunlop SP 60

Quesion:
1. Which tires do i put in front?
2. What PSI is safe for a long trip like this?
3. Can I remove the power steering belt for this trip and put it back on when I get home?
4. Is it worth the extra effort to scramble for a upper grill block off before I leave?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Put your higher gripping tires up front, obviously, Handling and braking duties are the front's main job so why give it the lesser tire?

Sidewall max psi is a safe place to start. Your ride, however, will suffer.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Old 06-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
In the front I have Dunlop SP60 185/65/14 - I hate these tires. They have no grip and I doubt they are any good for MPG.
Dunlop SP 60
IMHO, Dunlops are horrible.

Quote:
Quesion:
1. Which tires do i put in front?
Asked and answered.

Quote:
2. What PSI is safe for a long trip like this?
Again, good advice has been given. More than 10 PSI above the rating may become harsh riding.

Quote:
3. Can I remove the power steering belt for this trip and put it back on when I get home?
Sure. Your car won't steer properly and you may get into an accident on account of it. Why not just take the bus to begin with, instead of taking a one way bus ticket back, after you wreck your car?

Quote:
4. Is it worth the extra effort to scramble for a upper grill block off before I leave?
For summer weather? If I understand correctly, you are suggesting modifying your car so it will be tough to steer and it will likely overheat. Are you serious? (Sounds to me like we're 'being had'.)
Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
IMHO, Dunlops are horrible.

Asked and answered.

Again, good advice has been given. More than 10 PSI above the rating may become harsh riding.

Sure. Your car won't steer properly and you may get into an accident on account of it. Why not just take the bus to begin with, instead of taking a one way bus ticket back, after you wreck your car?

For summer weather? If I understand correctly, you are suggesting modifying your car so it will be tough to steer and it will likely overheat. Are you serious? (Sounds to me like we're 'being had'.)
how would removing power steering make the car unsafe?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
See if you can drive the car with out it first. My '87 CRX HF has no powersteering, hell, none of the 80s hondas did, but they never needed it with such light weight. Once rolling, it's pretty easy to drive.

Problem is, power steering boxes are harder to steer than manual steering boxes.

Grille blocks have been used successfully by many Civic owners here. And, on the highway, there's plenty of cooling to be had from the bumper vent's I'd wager.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Old 06-19-2010, 04:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
Put your higher gripping tires up front, obviously, Handling and braking duties are the front's main job so why give it the lesser tire?

Sidewall max psi is a safe place to start. Your ride, however, will suffer.
I've always thought the opposite, mainly to avoid understeer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Tyres
We recommend that you use newer tyres for the rear set, for extra safety in unforeseen or difficult situations (emergency braking, tight bends etc) particularly on wet surfaces. Numerous tests have shown that it is easier to control the front wheels than those at the rear. Front tyres generally wear quicker than those fitted at the rear, particularly on front wheel drive cars, which are currently in the majority.
(Celtic Tyres::Tyre Tips - New tyres to the rear.)

Plus of course I do anything Vicki says

cfg83 (06-19-2010)
Old 06-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
I've always thought the opposite, mainly to avoid understeer.
I bet my s2000 has bigger tires in the rear to avoid understeer
Old 06-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2k-Takara View Post
I bet my s2000 has bigger tires in the rear to avoid understeer
I am such a muppet

And I have a cold.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post

Don't freak man

Have you ever driven a car- especially one this small- without power steering or with the power steering disabled? No? I have and it's no big deal. Increased effort may be noticeable at parking lot speeds but above that it's virtually the same.

Where's the drama queen smiley?

Old 06-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Don't freak man

Have you ever driven a car- especially one this small- without power steering or with the power steering disabled? No? I have and it's no big deal. Increased effort may be noticeable at parking lot speeds but above that it's virtually the same.

Where's the drama queen smiley?
Hey Frank, I read many of your posts while still lurking, thanks for all the contributions.

Yeah, I was thinking exactly what you said, but being new here, I thought I would just ignore it.

Reply  Post New Thread