Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2022, 04:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcnesneg View Post
I would go electric and never look back. There are a lot of chinese options available in NZ also. The cheapest option for a good BEV with lots of range would probably be to import a RHD car from Japan - like a Kia Niro EV (probably would put you around $50,000 USD). The ones already in NZ are crazy expensive. Same with Australia. But gas cars are so expensive and losing value so fast it's not worth it - even in the US. Even more so in NZ.
The most expensive car I've ever purchased, at this point, is $4,000 US. 50 grand is a pretty hard pill to swallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Still gotta wonder how you get a job and relocation to NZ?

I would look at the electric fuel and tax structures in NZ and also consider, it’s a small place, will you need to drive more or less?

If you don’t need to drive far might be worth seeing what the lowest cost home grown options are most compatible with taxes and TCO?

Maybe a Subaru 360 is a thing there, 50+ mpg room room putt putt

Maybe IMIEV, LUPO 3l or the Daihatsu Charade diesel are locally available?

Lots of Kei cars and foreign EVs are likely available as well

And yea, bespoke Miata but one has to wonder fuel and tax structures there?

Are they anti/pro EV?
Is size, displacement, fuel type a taxable item there?

Might be more to this depending on local tax code and fueling costs.
A quick search suggests there's (in USD) up to a $5750 tax credit for new EVs, and up to $2300 for a used one. It's duty-free to import since there's no local auto industry. Highly polluting vehicles (especially diesels) will have extra taxes placed on them at the time of purchase, of up to $5750.

When it comes to registration, it's ~$70 US for a year for EVs and gasoline vehicles, and ~$120 for diesels.

Car insurance is optional. Liability-only looks to be around $10 US per month, and full coverage for a ~$20,000 US sports car runs around $50 per month. I haven't checked the rates yet on a $50,000 USD EV but I imagine it would be equivalently more expensive for full coverage.

Electricity is ~12 cents (US) per kwh, and gasoline is currently ~$8 US per gallon. At those prices, an $800 Honda Fit would break even with a $50,000 EV, driving a high estimate 12k km per year, in approximately 37 years. A $20,000 sports car would break even with the EV in approximately 23 years - or basically the "expected" lifespan of a vehicle. So, financially, an EV doesn't come close to making sense, unless I can get one in the same price range as a gasoline car. Nissan Leafs under $20,000 all seem to have very tired batteries.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
rmay635703 (04-12-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-30-2022, 08:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,671 Times in 1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
If you don’t need to drive far might be worth seeing what the lowest cost home grown options are most compatible with taxes and TCO?
Maybe another suggestion for a lower TCO and the usage on shorter routes could be a scooter.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Ecky (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 09:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Maybe another suggestion for a lower TCO and the usage on shorter routes could be a scooter.
Oddly, registration is a lot more expensive than for a car, but a scooter could be a great option.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:24 AM   #24 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,671 Times in 1,489 Posts
There is a "compulsory insurance" tax in my country, which is more expensive for motorcycles and similar vehicles (such as scooters and motor trikes) than for cars, otherwise the substantially lower fuel consumption still renders a small motorcycle useful.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cx9 - '18 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
90 day: 31.41 mpg (US)

Prius - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 57.8 mpg (US)

Tundra - '00 Tundra V6 long bed base work truck
90 day: 19.4 mpg (US)
What are the shipping costs these days? I know the price to get a container from China to the US was crazy a few months ago, but hopefully things have settled down.

If you're looking at a <15 mile commute in mild weather year round, why not just use a bicycle (or e-bike)?
Old 04-12-2022, 09:32 AM   #26 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
EVs are heavily inflated in the US right now, ($9999 Bolts are no more, sitting in hundreds of shipping lots across the country)
though I know of where you can get a runs and drives (main bearing) Volt for $1500, if automotive bodywork is extremely cheap there it could work out especially if the Climate is very mild there.

There are some countries where auto work is so cheap it’s worth bringing a wreck or souping up a conversion like a Comutacar to 300 mile range locally.

@$8 gas it’s worth having an Insight or bike, convert to PHEV if you wish, not sure anything car related besides Insight or EV makes sense there. And remember there are economic Kei cars and EVs that may justify conversion from FLA to lithium in an $8 gas environment. Miles zx40, Kandi k27 ($9999) and others come to mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
What are the shipping costs these days? I know the price to get a container from China to the US was crazy a few months ago, but hopefully things have settled down.

If you're looking at a <15 mile commute in mild weather year round, why not just use a bicycle (or e-bike)?
For manufacturers shipping out of the US can be nearly free if your freight is going the correct place.

Sadly individuals can’t take advantage of the empty supertanker subsidy

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70365E5C-BB89-43E9-BFE9-6FB2A3BF50F9.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	31915  

Last edited by rmay635703; 04-12-2022 at 09:54 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread