Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
The car I'm using is a 1993 Civic. It's obd-1 and with it chipped, the 02 can be turned off, idle air control solenoid can be adjusted or turned off, fuel values can be set or tuned to zero...there is alot that can be done here.
We'll be merely making a copy of the original oem program, zeroing out the fuel values, turning off the O2 sensor feedback(it will read but not adjust), and ramp timing. In gasoline mode everything will function as normal, no check engine lights, and will pass an diagnostics check via the check plug...however we don't have emissions here yet..
My friend that does the tuning can do up to 3 "maps" per chip, turbo, nitrous, VTEC, intake air butterfly's, propane injection(used before intercooler in boosted applications)...it's all adjustable and tuneable....even a ballet parking mode that only allows 20% throttle and 3000rpm rev limit
Sounds like you've got yourself a tuner there!

I used to do multi-maps for OBD-0 ECU's, with a rotary switch to choose which map the driver wanted. The whole setup cost like $50 at the time, and I could get up to $200 just to set it up, then they'd go pay someone else to fine tune each map for a given situation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
rkcarguy (10-29-2009)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Yeah he's very good.
He has a daily driven full interior CRX with a B16A swap and a large turbo that put down 422whp, and a 10.9 sec-1/4 mile best time..on a stock bottom end. It's arp bolts studs and a good head gasket that hold it all together. I've seen the slip and know the motor it's no BS.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Just wanted to update my post. I met with my tuner friend and discussed this in detail, theres some more options I wasn't aware of that we can do...even running the gas injectors and propane at the same time and add/subtract fuel as needed to make up for any shortcomings of the propane regulator.
The car is coming back from paint tomorrow. I have the engine out and I drilled and tapped 1/8 NPT ports in each intake runner. My goal is to have the propane feed branch into 4 equal length hoses going to each runner for precise fuel feed. I am using parker push locks and nylon tubing for now, once I have it all figured out I will switch to braided stainless teflon hose instead for durability.
And I have to apologize, but I'm a big believer in conspiracy-so the npt ports feed in the underside of the intake and none of this will show unless you get under the car.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ecomodder in Training

Green Machine - '96 Ford Contour GL
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)
not sure if this helps or not, but I converted my portable generator to run on propane by using an old carb off another engine. It was actually real easy and direct. Here is the link to the instructions...

Converting a generator to run on propane
Old 01-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainh2o View Post
not sure if this helps or not, but I converted my portable generator to run on propane by using an old carb off another engine. It was actually real easy and direct. Here is the link to the instructions...

Converting a generator to run on propane
This is how alot of people do their conversions, actually. The only issue is when you can't find a carb that works for the engine you're using... usually, 4 cylinder carbs are fairly easy to find, but if you've got a 2 cylinder or single cylinder generator, the carb is too big for it.

I've done a few conversions from forklifts into trucks and cars, though. Many fork lifts have truck engines in them.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ecomodder in Training

Green Machine - '96 Ford Contour GL
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)
My generator is a single cyld. I just used an old carb off a smaller brigs engine.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainh2o View Post
My generator is a single cyld. I just used an old carb off a smaller brigs engine.
If you do a little searching, you can turn many of those smaller engines into spark-ignited kerosene engines, which is to say that diluted BD could also be used.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Just bringing back my old thread.
I have the engine back in and only a few things left to do.
I've got to machine a "evenflo" 1-4 distribution block with one 3/8" npt into four 1/8" npts in a shower head arrangement in hopes of getting good even supply to all 4 cans.
I tapped the 4 holes in the underside of the intake runner about midspan, which happens to be near the end of the downward curve in the runner so it pitches them at an angle compared to the flow..should work well.
I have to install another 02 bung so we have a place for the wideband.
Then just have to mount the vaporizer/regulator and lockoff and plumb it into the cooling system, which poses another problem. The heater hoses that are available pass thru a mech valve that closes when the heat isn't on. This means to get good flow to keep the vap/reg warm I have to have the heat on all the time or drill and tap into the motor somewhere instead
From what I'm hearing, we can kill the single + lead to the injectors and resistor box(ecu grounds the injs to trigger), and let the propane flow and it should run.
Once I get it so it will run, then I can call my tuning friend and let him do his magic.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Interested in results.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm just going to tap into the lower rad hose(it's the one that gets hot first before the t-stat opens), and make a beaded pipe with a restrictor plate in it, and 2 npt fittings to force part of coolant to flow thru the vaporizer and back into the pipe/rad hose so I don't have to drill holes in my engine.
We'll see how it works with the as-delivered blue metering spring, if it runs lean I may have to go to the softer orange spring and reduce my orifice sizes.

Reply  Post New Thread