Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Need Wheel Skirts & other items/suggestions?

Greetings,
My car got hit, the other person's insurance is gonna pay for it, but while I'm getting that done I thought I might be able to get some wheel skirts made and painted since they're already going to be using the right color for the repairs that need to be made.. and maybe some other interesting bits

Is anybody out there willing to help me make wheel skirts? Or have suggestions on how they should be crafted or where I might be able to get some? It's a 2009 Honda Fit (same as current model). Any other suggestions for parts I should make or have made that would be good to get painted too?

In addition, I haven't yet decided where I'm going to go for this work to get done so I would appreciate any recommendations for a collision/body guy in the Philadelphia, PA and/or South New Jersey area, maybe even as far as Delaware or parts of Northern MD if necessary. Anybody here do that sort of work?

thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Most guys make the wheel skirts with Coroplast--my current version is of that stuff. If you don't want to drill the body for mounts you can make clips. You can see what I did, using MetroMPG's design as a model, on my build thread. You can also make the skirts with aluminum sheet, which I have been planning to use. But I might experiment with a plasti-dip coating on the coroplast (to hide corrugated appearance) and then the OEM paint color I bought online.

Grill blocks can be painted too, of course.

You could also attempt a more radical project, such as a kamm back or especially a boat tail. SInce you're getting in painted... how good are your fabrication skills? Mine are so-so, but if you are really skilled... well boat tail that thing and get some OEM paint on it!

jAMES
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If I had time and a workshop set up, my fabrication skills might be OK.. (I've been working with tools all my life) but I don't really have the time or the tools right now. Which is why I'm posting on here.

Looking at Coroplast it doesn't seem like I should bother to get those painted.

What sort of aluminum sheeting might you recommend? What might be a good source? the only thing I can think of at the moment is the stuff available for roofing flashing, but I think that would be too thin and perhaps not wide enough..

Kammback or boat tail might be fun to try/experiment with but I would need help with those..

thanks

Reply  Post New Thread