Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I disagree with sticking with the truck for that short drive. That big engine never even gets up to operating temp. The short drive is actually bad for it.

It is well worth it to get something in addition for that commute.

I've sourced so many free/nearly free econoboxes, how can tabs, insurance, maybe some parts, and using 1/3 the fuel not pan out?

An electric bike like mine would be perfect. No pedalling, no gasoline.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
That big engine never even gets up to operating temp.
going such short distances, i'd think a block heater might help as much as anything... short of a different form of transportation.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
You've got a lot of options, but you have to tell us what you will and will not do.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
IF he sticks with the truck I'd suggest grille block, mechanical fan delete (if it doesn't spend lots of time running while stationary or nearly so), engine blanket, and engine block heater.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
Get a scooter. If you don't want to get the M on your license, get a moped. Hop it up a bit to get a touch more speed out of it, get you through the scary parts of your trip faster. Hold the truck in reserve for rainy days. Upgrade the lights with something brighter, 'cause cage drivers don't notice you unless you're big enough to do more damage than a mere bumper scratch.

Find a very secure place to lock it up.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for all the interest! The truck does have a 4 speed auto in it. I had a friend watch the ac unit while I messed with the air flow control switch, and sure enough the ac engages whenever the control is in any position but off. It may be a defective switch, but in anycase I can ID the wire to the clutch on the ac unit and throw a toggle switch on it so it only goes on when I ask it to.
I like the idea of the scan gauge. cheapest I saw was $159. I saw a different unit called a kiwi for around $90. Looks like it has the same functions on it as the scan gauge. Does anyone have any experience with it?

I read MetroMPG's thread on dodge ram fuel efficiency and some testing that was done in a wind tunnel. He said that a specially constructed cap has the bes aerodynamics, followed close by a tanneau cover. Think I'll save my dimes and go for the cover

I've got a full plate just now building a 600sq ft patio and a basement excavation going on, but when they are done, I think you guys are dead on about the alternate vehicle thing. I'm going to start looking for something real small that I can convert to an ev. Already have a small 36v dc 7" forkliift motor, and will bargain shop the rest till I have what I need.

I shell out around $140 every month on gas for my short hop in the "beast", so if I can keep under $1500 on the conversion it wuld pay off in a little over a year, not counting insurance. I need to keep the truck for side work, but an ev with a 20 mile range and 35 to 40 mph top end would be fine for me on the commute.

Thanks again for all the ideas! ........Caffinefiend..............

Last edited by caffinefiend; 09-30-2009 at 12:05 PM..
Old 09-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dart Lite - '76 Dodge Dart Dart Lite
90 day: 18.34 mpg (US)

Beater..with a Heater - '94 Isuzu Rodeo LS
90 day: 16.19 mpg (US)
I have a 97 Ram 5.2 5 speed.
K&N airfilter in stock box
headers, converter, and exhaust
electric fan.

If I keep it under 65, I am high teens, low 20's with no eco driving techniques.

I'd check current state of basic tune up. Plugs, wires, air filter, etc.
I'd replace stock muffler.

Bear in mind, 3.9 in FS truck is a lot of weight to move. Easy throttle, and hypermile techniques should help.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backtobasics View Post
I have a 97 Ram 5.2 5 speed.
K&N airfilter in stock box
headers, converter, and exhaust
electric fan.

If I keep it under 65, I am high teens, low 20's with no eco driving techniques.

I'd check current state of basic tune up. Plugs, wires, air filter, etc.
I'd replace stock muffler.

Bear in mind, 3.9 in FS truck is a lot of weight to move. Easy throttle, and hypermile techniques should help.
Is that mostly highway?
Old 09-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah, with the truck i'm on the freeway nearly the whole time, it's only when I was cycling that I was on surface streets.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
Is that mostly highway?
The dodge ram's with a manual transmission are a COMPLETELY different vehicle. Dodges slush boxes really eat up FE.

Anyway Straight highway I can pull a little north of 18 without the scanguage driving slow and hypermiling with an automatic 5.2; and I have hit a little over 20mpg with the scanguage on the highway. If I just drive normally I am between 14.5 and 16mpg on the highway.

It REALLY sucks that my truck has an auto, too bad there are so few that don't I have often wondered how much it would cost to convert to a manual, I could probably move my hypermiling FE up by 50% with a 5sp!

As for the 6 cyl dodge, they really should only sell them with a manual, the 6 in a full size truck is a bigger gas hog than this v8 because you are always hard on the throttle when you aren't accelerating and the gearing is ALWAYS much lower.

That said I don't agree that you go easy on the throttle during acceleration, in my truck with an auto that KILLS the FE since any accelleration at all and my FE is low single digits, whether I hit it hard or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffinefiend View Post
Yeah, with the truck i'm on the freeway nearly the whole time, it's only when I was cycling that I was on surface streets.
I would recommend that if you are keeping the truck, beg or borrow a scanguage. The other guages just don't work as well but they are better than nothing, even a vacuum guage is much better than nothing.

Then if your highway is vacant enough AKA you feel safe in driving below the speed limit. Try to determine your steady state FE at speeds just above shifting into 4th, then also test just above lockup. AKA have a real workout with your truck, also with a scanguage don't hesitate trying my pump the pedal trick when taking off, I have noticed it on 2 dodge vehicles that they respond positively to that for some reason, accelerate harder with better MPGs. In a dodge you really do have to figure out how to accelerate better since that is where most of your fuel is being used. Also in a dodge pickup it is more important than anything to throw it in neutral to coast at any opportunity, even on the highway going down a hill, just as long as you can keep it out of 3rd let it coast down then put her back in gear and slowly continue, if you have to go up a steep hill kick the pedal and take off hard off coast up the crest and back down. These auto dodges actually do hypermile easier than most other auto vehicles but I think its because the inherant FE is so terrible to begin with.

Also another hint, if you get a scanguage or can figure out how to coast down without having to stop, the MPGs on my V8 hypermiling are the same in town (if there is the opportunity to coast far enough) and on the highway. I would estimate you V6 with its steep gearing is likely the same.

Good Luck and I Hope you Can Coax your rig into performing better.
Ryan

Last edited by rmay635703; 10-01-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread