Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

WVO is often too thick for the fuel system, especially in modern diesels. Put in the lift pump first!

Other than that, I highly recommend processing the WVO into biodiesel before running it as fuel. Straight WVO will mess up the engine and injection system pretty good, with ash deposits, and wear damage. (Also, 5 micron isn't small enough in my opinion, I'd recommend 1 micron, if you can.)
The biodiesel process already takes out the majority of solid matter, so filtering will become easier too.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlexanderB For This Useful Post:
Andy at Focallocal (10-13-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Roadtrip London2Vietnam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
Were all the parts replaced Mercedes / oem brand?
I hated the year I worked on sprinters, the '06 and older seemed to go into limp mode at the drop of a hat it felt like. Had one with a new aftermarket air filter, but it flowed so little the pressure sensor in the air box would show 7" of vacuum just as it went into limp. It was more common to replace a newer looking aftermarket fuel filter with a mecedes one, and have that keep it out of limp.
But what I'm more suspect of, is if you have a good fuel filter, but the wvo requires more vacuum to get through the filter, or upto the filter. If you ordered a lift pump, I'd put that on before digging much further. Otherwise, just keep running straight diesel for now
thanks, i'll fit the pump next monday as i (hopefully) head south towards warmer climates. the fuel filter is brand new and the issue is still there on diesel so i would expect that it'd go back to normal when the pressure is restored.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Roadtrip London2Vietnam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Water in the fuel.
Absolutely garbage wvo.
Plugged filter.
Plugged exhaust system.
Crushed exhaust pipe.
Air filter completely trashed.

Just a few guesses.

regards
mech
i'm using the hot spoon test (oil in a spoon with a lighter underneath) to check for water in the mix, but i'm new to WVO so i cant be sure that i'm doing it right - so that could be the issue. anyone have any advice? i live in my van and dont have a frying pan hot enough for the frying pan test (i cook with solar and a slow cooker).
Old 10-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Roadtrip London2Vietnam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderB View Post
WVO is often too thick for the fuel system, especially in modern diesels. Put in the lift pump first!

Other than that, I highly recommend processing the WVO into biodiesel before running it as fuel. Straight WVO will mess up the engine and injection system pretty good, with ash deposits, and wear damage. (Also, 5 micron isn't small enough in my opinion, I'd recommend 1 micron, if you can.)
The biodiesel process already takes out the majority of solid matter, so filtering will become easier too.
i'm not sure i have space for making bio diesel. i live in my van and am driving to vietnam. i may try the 1 micron filter tho.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Roadtrip London2Vietnam!

Posting to update: i had a partial success. i installed a lift pump and the van drives much smoother on WVO now (although i still think i may have damaged the stock pump), but the van is still limited to 2k revs (on WVO and for a few days on diesel after driving on WVO).

So now i'm assuming its mainly an electronic issue. i will look for someone with a Sprinter code reader, but my project has hit a big bump and i'm completely out of money, and expect to be so for the next month or 2, until our Kindess Auction builds steam.

Can anyone suggest a fix, to stop the engine going into what i presume is limp home mode? or to change the timing, which i think related to, or the cause of the issue?

Thanks very much for youradvice and support! i'm in Germany and heading into Poland ..just very slowly :P

Andy
Focallocal - Focallocal
Old 10-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Most common cause I saw on that generation going into limp was a split in one of the charge air hoses, but like you were saying, it would be good to have a code to work with
The Following User Says Thank You to 2000mc For This Useful Post:
Andy at Focallocal (10-28-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Roadtrip London2Vietnam!

thanks. its quit on me completely today, so i'll need to get to the root of the problem ..but without any money that might be difficult.

was going fine, but limited to 2k revs with the EDC and Fuel Filter lights on and then just lost power and the engine cut out. was turning over fine, but didnt sound like it was ever anywhere near starting again (on diesel). Now its stranded outside of Wroclaw, Poland without enough money for a tow truck, so i'm gonna try hitch-hiking with a van

my other ideas are that i should bypass the stock filter for the WVO line (its already been filter to 5micron), or that the pump is not lubricating properly as i understand that the 2002 uses the diesel for lubrication. the revs do (did) return to normal pretty quickly after switching back to Diesel, so maybe that'd fit.

I'm not expceting a solution over the forums, but thought it would hurt to ask. The EDC and Battery lights on the control panel stay on when i turn the key. i'm wondering if what i really need is to sell and buy a non CDI van..
Old 11-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm going to say yes, a non-commonrail diesel is going to do a lot better on WVO than a commonrail, if only for the fact that non-commonrail diesels have a little more tolerance to higher viscosity fuel (and probably some more particles too), especially if you can find one with a Bosch VE pump. (Stay away from Lucas/Rotodiesel garbage)

But getting a good van for cheap might be a challenge, and getting a good price for your current van too, unless you manage to fix the engine by running it on normal diesel for a while..
Old 11-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Roadtrip London2Vietnam!

Pretty sure i've uncovered the main problem, there's air getting into my fuel loop from somewhere. tightened everything by the side of the road and no change so i'll have to look tomorrow in better light.

the limp home issue is harder to solve tho. i guess i need to find someone with a code reader somewhere who will let me use it for free, and then probably find a way to change the values the sensor accept as safe running.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
injector, issue, tech, wvo