Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
epic stock master

86 Accord LX (carb) - '86 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 35.57 mpg (US)
realities & convenience of carpooling

i'll never be a carpooler.
  • i live in the country and everyone else is not enroute to work.
  • i would not like to spend an extra 45 minutes each direction having to get to each neighborhood of each carpooler.
  • i have a crazy schedule of unpredictable hours, unlike most other workers.
  • i;m impatient, if i have to wait on someone who is chronic-tardy, i;d flip-out.
  • i don;t want to hear the other passengers nag me about hypermiling.. perhaps i wouldn't hypermile if i had a car load of people.
what say you?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Not happening for me any time soon. I'm in a small city near a larger metro. No bus, train, or ride-sharing is available. Varied start and ending work hours make carpooling much harder.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Then don't carpool? I don't get the point of this thread. Some people are able to, and others are not don't get mad if you can't.
The Following User Says Thank You to MadisonMPG For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (02-08-2010)
Old 02-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
epic stock master

i'm not mad. i just announced i'll never car pool. and i announced it guilt-free.
i feel good. lol.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
I had a lovely commute combining car-pooling with bike trails, and the more regularly-employed members got me out of the free overtime at my gig.

There is also ride-sharing with 'net-mediated arrangements and/or ID cards or (Gasp!) Hitchiking. It has alwaysy been good for me, although I've got friends with sad stories.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
epic stock master

hitchhiking for the daily commute?
i'm interested in that!
Old 02-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ecomodder en route

Vib - '04 Pontiac Vibe base
I have a theory about carpooling. I think there is a point somewhere that it is less economical to carpool, and take two cars. The variable is persons weight, the constant is speed and mileage. A car at 55 MPG is getting 30 MPG. The engine is rated at 140HP. That 140HP pulls the 2-ton car, and its 180lb driver. Add another person, and the engine burns more fuel, but still less than two cars. Keep adding weight/people until the car burns so much fuel, its better to even the load out, and take two cars. I have no real numbers here, but thats my idea. I would, however, like to somehow give my idea some ground to stand on, but until I get my license, it will remain a theory.

I would like to take some of my friends to school though. I live the furthest away from my school as anybody can (COMPLETE truth. The distict line crosses my neighbors yard.) so they are on my way to school, but daily carpools with, like you said, chronic tardy, just isnt for me. I NEED a time cushion.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I used to carpool. I had a rule - I'm here on time, you had best be. If not, you'd better have taxi money on stand by.

My friends were only ever late once.

Besides, that, I've spent time hitching rides, I've caught rides on rail cars, I've even hopped on flat beds with pipes or whatever the load of the day was. It's not as bad as it seems, I had fun. When they stop at a light or intersection near your stop, hop off, and noone's the wiser.

Some larger metro areas have "slug" lanes now, where they've developed a hitch-hiker program with etiquette. It's a very efficient random carpool method, and if you screw up too many times, you get excluded from the "society" that it's built.

Park and rides are a great place to park - and ride. Not the bus, man! Get on a bike and finish your commute!

Many of us can't carpool in the traditional sense, but there is a possibility that your routes all converge at a point somewhere away from work where it might be convenient to pack it all in one vehicle and finish the commute, saving fuel for some of you, at least.

It's not always about what you can save yourself, sometimes, it's about how much you can save others, as well.

You can also simply ask that someone from the group buy you lunch on the days that you're the group driver, which saves you and everyone else, because lunch is cheap, and they can all split the cost to "pay you back".

Last edited by Christ; 02-07-2010 at 05:15 PM..
Old 02-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
luvit -

I don't live in the country but most of the other reasons apply. My life is always messy so it's hard to ask someone to adapt to me.

If I were carpooling I wouldn't hypermile off-the-bat because 1 person at 50 MPG => 50 MPG per person, but 2 people at 35 MPG => 70 MPG per person. If I was lucky, however, I'd bring the carpooler over to the "green side" and maybe push it back up to 45 MPG => 90 MPG per person. What is interesting is that the ScanGauge would allow me to "charge for gas", just like a taxi!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
luvit -

I don't live in the country but most of the other reasons apply. My life is always messy so it's hard to ask someone to adapt to me.

If I were carpooling I wouldn't hypermile off-the-bat because 1 person at 50 MPG => 50 MPG per person, but 2 people at 35 MPG => 70 MPG per person. If I was lucky, however, I'd bring the carpooler over to the "green side" and maybe push it back up to 45 MPG => 90 MPG per person. What is interesting is that the ScanGauge would allow me to "charge for gas", just like a taxi!

CarloSW2
Capitalist.

LOL.

Reply  Post New Thread